pirates

cruise cruise cruise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Although I've never actually been there I have read a lot about pirate histories recently and Nassau was a big pirate base in the 1700's. 'Black Sam' Bellamy and Blackbeard are two famous pirates who used it as a base. The pirates gradually took over New Providence island and deposed the British governors and settlers to nearby islands or American colonies. It basically became a "pirate republic" (there is a good book available by that name) for a period with the island being fortified by several pirate gangs working together which made it and them almost untouchable for a time. They used to ground and burn their unwanted prize ships on the coast of Hog island (now Paradise island) opposite the harbour. At the time, according to the Governor of Bermuda, the Bahamas were "without any face or form of Government" and the colony was a "sink or nest of infamous rascals" ie pirates! The damage to colonial and trans atlantic trade became to great and the British commissioned a force to retake the islands in 1718.

Although I don't know what, if anything is there now I would like to visit someday!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived