Where's the Ibuprofin - family worried about Splendor

cdamion

Sigh, now that Splendor trip is next month I'm getting calls from concerned family members (who aren't cruising - and never have).

The concerns:

1) Mexico safety

2) Norovirus

3) Concordia

Thanks press for blowing all of it out of proportion.

How do I handle it? Listen, tell them not to worry, hang up the phone, sigh, and take Advil.

Regarding the travel advisory (that has my relatives' panties in a bunch too), you can look at a color coded map and info. They can see that there is no problem at all in Cabo and Jalisco (the state where PV is) only has a warning if you go far inland to the border of the other state.

Norovirus can be found in many place, not just the cruise ship.

Smile and let them be concerned.

1) Mexico safety- the ships don't go to the dangerous areas. You are probably less safe at home. Yes- we will stay with the cruise crowds.

2) Norovirus-also found in school and hotels at home. Yes, we have our hand sanitizer with us at all times doesn't work on noro but never midn

3) Concordia-made huge news because it is so rare- cruised after the Titanic sank too

I sailed on the Freedom last week and at work today a lady asked me a couple of those questions. she wanted to know if we felt safe in Cozumel (yes, we felt very safe) and then she asked if I got norovirus (no, I didn't). :rolleyes: At least she didn't ask me if the ship sank. LOL

Assure them that Norovirus can happen anywhere, not just cruise ships. Here in NC we are having an outbreak. And at my job (Federal Prison) one of our institutions is having an outbreak. My husband works at that particular institution and I make him head straight to the shower as soon as he walks in the front door!:eek::D

I'd just say thanks for the concern but I'm not worried. Plan to have a stellar vacay!!!:cool:

None of that should even be a concern to you. Seriously.

The Concordi incident was unfortunate... but that was due to human error (more specifically, incompetence IMO). Something like that has not happened in... well, since the Titanic, probably. Tens of thousands of passengers each and every week, worldwide, and this is the first time you've probably ever even heard of such a thing. Do they still fly? because how often have you heard of airline crashes as compared to cruise ships ?

Norvirus happens in a lot of places, not just cruise ships. It gets more publicity than anything else, but hotels, conferences, restaurants, even amusement parks.. anywhere that there is a concentration of people

As for Mexico, I'm going there on Sunday. Just be smart, as you should in any tourist area. Cozumel is very safe, as is Progresso... can't speak to the West Coast as I don't get there often.. but I assure you Carnival would not stop in any port that is dangerous. Many a time has Carnival cancelled port calls when passenger safety was a concern.

Smile and let them be concerned.

1) Mexico safety- the ships don't go to the dangerous areas. You are probably less safe at home. Yes- we will stay with the cruise crowds.

2) Norovirus-also found in school and hotels at home. Yes, we have our hand sanitizer with us at all times doesn't work on noro but never midn

3) Concordia-made huge news because it is so rare- cruised after the Titanic sank too

1) Exactly what I told them - I would stay with the cruise crowds. Also told them there were no problems in either of the two parts and that there were plenty of Americans living in Cabo (as if that really has anything to do with anything). Staying with the cruise crowds may be a bit of a white lie for PV - probably hiring a private car to get away from the crowds after a morning excursion.

2) Ditto - they were surprised to hear that it was a problem in several schools in parts of the country - they thought it was just cruise ships.

3) Didn't have much to say other than it was a stupid move by a captain and that it was exceedingly rare.

I suggest nodding and smiling and thanking them for their concern. Tell them that you are much better informed than the average person in regards to cruising and that you are perfectly aware of all of the above. When you return be sure to show them all of the pictures of you having a GREAT time on your fabulous cruise! Be sure to gush and swoon alot at how much fun you had and how you can't wait to go again.

Worked for me. ;) :cool:

None of that should even be a concern to you. Seriously.

The Concordi incident was unfortunate... but that was due to human error (more specifically, incompetence IMO). Something like that has not happened in... well, since the Titanic, probably. Tens of thousands of passengers each and every week, worldwide, and this is the first time you've probably ever even heard of such a thing. Do they still fly? because how often have you heard of airline crashes as compared to cruise ships ?

Norvirus happens in a lot of places, not just cruise ships. It gets more publicity than anything else, but hotels, conferences, restaurants, even amusement parks.. anywhere that there is a concentration of people

As for Mexico, I'm going there on Sunday. Just be smart, as you should in any tourist area. Cozumel is very safe, as is Progresso... can't speak to the West Coast as I don't get there often.. but I assure you Carnival would not stop in any port that is dangerous. Many a time has Carnival cancelled port calls when passenger safety was a concern.

Trust me, it isn't a concern. I am a very much off the beaten path traveler. I think Nicaragua is going to be the next big off-the-grid trip. Knowing this about me is probably what started their worrying. I was in Honduras right in between a major earthquake and a coup. They still think Im nuts for going.

I was just in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago and that city's murder rate is actually much higher than Mexico's. Heck, Im in Chicago and our murder rate is higher than Mexico's.

Trust me, it isn't a concern. I am a very much off the beaten path traveler. I think Nicaragua is going to be the next big off-the-grid trip. Knowing this about me is probably what started their worrying. I was in Honduras right in between a major earthquake and a coup. They still think Im nuts for going.

I was just in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago and that city's murder rate is actually much higher than Mexico's. Heck, Im in Chicago and our murder rate is higher than Mexico's.

^ There's your answer to them.... :D

Regarding the travel advisory (that has my relatives' panties in a bunch too), you can look at a color coded map and info. They can see that there is no problem at all in Cabo and Jalisco (the state where PV is) only has a warning if you go far inland to the border of the other state.

Norovirus can be found in many place, not just the cruise ship.

Actually, Im going to be in your neck of the woods to have lunch with family and Im sure have a much expanded version of the terrors of Mexico talk (this family member actually got very sick in Cancun and has banned the entire country now - the state dept warnings only strengthens his resolve).

Little do they know Im back in Mexico on a land based trip in May.

Actually, Im going to be in your neck of the woods to have lunch with family and Im sure have a much expanded version of the terrors of Mexico talk (this family member actually got very sick in Cancun and has banned the entire country now - the state dept warnings only strengthens his resolve).

Little do they know Im back in Mexico on a land based trip in May.

I can't fault them on that one. I got food poisoning at an O'Charleys in the early 90's and to this day have never stepped foot into another one, LOL!:rolleyes:

You live in Chicago and your worried about Mexico? There are scary parts of every City. Check your local hospitals and Nursing Homes as well for shut downs and no visitors this winter because of flu etc. Youll be surprised there is illness in the windy city. I love Mexico but there are parts I would not go to and I love Chicago as well but I would mostly stick to Wrigley and Sluggers just to be safe

You live in Chicago and your worried about Mexico? There are scary parts of every City. Check your local hospitals and Nursing Homes as well for shut downs and no visitors this winter because of flu etc. Youll be surprised there is illness in the windy city. I love Mexico but there are parts I would not go to and I love Chicago as well but I would mostly stick to Wrigley and Sluggers just to be safe

Reread my post. I never said I was concerned about any of it. I need advil because I have to listen to my non-cruising family members' concerns - which seem to be largely fueled by sensational media coverage.

We booked our Liberty cruise a few days before that Costa mess happened. To say I work with a bunch of over reacting "hens" is an understatement!

The first thing out of their mouths "Are you going to Cancel?" "You Should Cancel!" etc.

I told them now is probably the safest time to cruise as everyone will be on their best behavior :D

Somebody had a nice color coded map in the Mexican Riviera section. My wife was wondering and I showed her the map and it would be like,,to relate it to the left coast,,you have a trip planned for Disneyland but are afraid because there is a riot in Oakland. You'd still go.

Someone had in another thread the link to the CDC vessal sanitation report. In 2011 or 2012 so far,,no Noro on Carnival ships. In 2010,,one report and it wasn't the Splendor. On the other hand,,if you look at my siggy,,,my normal line is HAL and they had a bunch in 2010 and 2011. The supposed "higher" quality line is getting sick,,our budget contious line is not.

Concordia Capt needs to walk the plank,,gives everyone a bad name.

I would HARDLY say neither the CONCORDIA nor MEXICO SAFETY are blown out of proportion... you may want to check the CONCORDIA Photos. The SHIP DID SINK with them STILL PULLING BODIES out of the water. Also, Mexico does have it's issues. MANY of them... with that said, I cruise in less than 3 weeks with one of the ports being ... you guessed it MEXICO. I do think about elevators at lot more now.... (Imagine YOU entering an Elevator, and the cruise captain (while tryin to impress a girl) hitting a reef at the same time.

Don't know what to tell ya... We are all in the same boat/ship/etc

Sigh, now that Splendor trip is next month I'm getting calls from concerned family members (who aren't cruising - and never have).

The concerns:

1) Mexico safety

2) Norovirus

3) Concordia

Thanks press for blowing all of it out of proportion.

How do I handle it? Listen, tell them not to worry, hang up the phone, sigh, and take Advil.

I would HARDLY say neither the CONCORDIA nor MEXICO SAFETY are blown out of proportion... you may want to check the CONCORDIA Photos. The SHIP DID SINK with them STILL PULLING BODIES out of the water. Also, Mexico does have it's issues. MANY of them... with that said, I cruise in less than 3 weeks with one of the ports being ... you guessed it MEXICO. I do think about elevators at lot more now.... (Imagine YOU entering an Elevator, and the cruise captain (while tryin to impress a girl) hitting a reef at the same time.

Don't know what to tell ya... We are all in the same boat/ship/etc

:rolleyes: EVERY post on here manages to offend somebody.

I am not minimizing the tragedy that those suffered on Concordia. I would not wish it on my worst enemies - particularly those families still waiting... and yes there are problems in Mexico - big problems and horrendous murders.

This being said, the fact that a rogue captain was being an a$$ to impress people does not make cruising any less safe. Also, the survival rate of that disaster was over 99%. (arguably it should have been 100% in this day and age). I will be safer on the cruise ship than I will be driving to the airport or flying to the port.

The violence in Mexico is bad, no doubt. However, that is occurring in specific regions of the country, most of the major tourist areas are not experiencing it, including Coz, Cancun, Riviera Maya, PV, Cabo, etc. I am safer in any of these cities than I am going to several Chicago neighborhoods within 10 miles of my house.

Things are being sensationalized with both cruising and travel to Mexico. I will certainly think twice before going to any border towns in Mexico, but not to places where no violence has occurred.

And with all due respect, I think worrying about elevators on a ship now is an overreaction to the Concordia tragedy - almost sounds like PTSD.

1) Your car

2) Your home

3) Your diet

These are statistically the three things that will cause you devastating harm or death - assuming you don't smoke, drink heavily, or partake in the most toxic legal or illegal drugs, in which case those three behaviors would supersede the list above.

Automobiles account for between 40 and 50 thousand U.S. fatalities a year. Now that's a remarkable amount of slaughter, almost a thousand bodies a week, yet we seem to yearn for fearful distractions that have less chance of occurring than winning the lottery.

Hmm- earthquake and coup. Perhaps not my most favorite time to visit a country:p

Archived