western Caribbean cruise in Sept.???

beachgrl001

Hi I am thinking about booking a western Caribbean cruise with either Carnival Sept 30th (Legend) sept.29th (Dream) or RCC FOS Sept.30. We are first time cruisers. I told my mom the dates and she was all negative saying the weather will be bad then :( I would really like to go on those dates since my son will be turning 18 on Sept. 29th. I thought it would be fun to celebrate his bday. I have been going to Disney practically every year for the past ten years and its usually in Sept. I was wondering how much different the western carrib weather in Sept. is from florida...

the weather will still be fairly warm.

My family is from the Caribbean and no matter what time of year we go, it's always t-shirt and shorts weather during the day. At night might be a different story though but that won't really matter.

I have sailed the Caribbean many times in September. The weather is great.

But it is peak hurricane season, so plan with an open mind. Ports may be changed or missed all together.

I am always just happy to be on a ship but if you really want to go to a particular port – this may not be the right time. Of course ships miss ports other times of year for a variety of reasons.

I have sailed the Caribbean many times in September. The weather is great.

But it is peak hurricane season, so plan with an open mind. Ports may be changed or missed all together.

I am always just happy to be on a ship but if you really want to go to a particular port – this may not be the right time. Of course ships miss ports other times of year for a variety of reasons.

We cruised in mid Sept., didn't have any problems. The weather was great! I agree with the open mind, I warned my dad about hurricane season and told him we are SUPPOSED to go to Cozumel and Calica, but we could end up elsewhere. He just laughed and said it would be ok since he was on a ship, anyplace was just fine with him. It was his first cruise, so anyplace we went would be new to him. I did keep an eye on The Weather Channel online to track current hurricanes and see if any new ones developed. Maybe, give me a better idea if we would get diverted or not and possibly rough seas.

Just be aware you may miss ports. I missed 2 out of 3 ports a couple of years ago in Sept. Another sept was when I was on conquest when Ike wiped out Galveston and I never saw my car again and had to find a way home from New Orleans (ship left out of Galveston).

But its the cheapest time to cruise. Go for it .. just be aware you might miss ports so you dont get upset.

If we miss the port and i have an excursion planned would i loose $$?

[/url]

If you book through the ship, your money would be credited back to your sail and sign card. If you book independently, whether or not your money is fully refundable is up to the tour operator.

East or west, nobody can predict the weather 7 months out. Late September is hurricane season, so you do need to be flexible. In 15 cruises I never missed port, but I always keep in mind that I may not get to the ports planned, especially during hurricane season. That said, I've sailed 7 times during hurricane season and had beautiful weather all 7 times. 2 of the 7 did have an altered route back to Florida on the last sea day due to a tropical storm, but it didn't impact the cruise. We only knew about it because the captain told us!

As a frequent traveler to the Yucatan during the last week of September beginning of October, and a Florida resident ...

I can say the weather is pretty similar. In both areas you have the risk of hurricanes or other tropical weather activity. In both areas it's hotter than H and humid as all get out.

We did a Western Cruise at the beginning of August, yes it was very hot and very humid. While others on our excursions were all but withering from the weather, we didn't think it was all that bad. (Panama showed a real feel of 120 degrees the week before we arrived) :eek:

We got a couple showers as we do on our land vacations during that time of year but not nearly like the daily 3pm downpours at home. :)

Course I was also in the Yucatan with a week of back to back hurricanes and tropical storms in 2005. It was a little on the soggy side.

Archived