What's the purpose of the deadbolt?

izmeeh

Reminds me of an incident in Hong Kong. I finished with meetings early and wanted a nap before dinner. They already cleaned my room for the day, and I stay at this hotel frequently, so all the bell hops, concierges, and front desk staff know me, so they knew I was safe. I put up the do not disturb and used the deadbolt. I was awakened by a knock, which I ignored. Then the phone started ringing. They wanted to take inventory of the mini bar. I was not happy at all. I complained to the front desk and got an apology, and I also put it on my comment card.

Don't see what the issue with the steward is. He knocked on a door with no 'do not disturb' sign and entered when he did not receive a response where he immediately exited when he realized it was occupied. What else do you expect him to do?

to OP - completely and totally unacceptable! What if a private moment had been going on (yikes)

this is the situation that gets me. While on the Dream last July - the exact and total opposite thing went on. We had gone to the pool on a sea day. I realized that I had left something in the room - I go back to the cabin and the stewards were beginning their cleaning responsibilities. Our cabin door was propped open with the door stopper - wide open. At first I didn't think too much of it - just went in and retrieved what I needed. No cabin steward in sight. I went to the bathroom, still no cabin steward in sight. I called for the cabin steward in the hallway (because a couple more cabins in the hallway were wide open too) - no answer, no steward in sight. Completely tee'd me off! I finally got on the phone and called guest services to report the situation. Of course, they apologized; but I waited another 3 to 4 minutes for my cabin steward to walk in the cabin while I sat right there on the vanity stool. He looked at me surprised and I expressed my disbelief and disappointment to him. He apologized; but had been down filling ice buckets and the assistant was supposed to be "on guard" in the hallway; but obviously WAS NOT.

Unacceptable!

to OP - completely and totally unacceptable! What if a private moment had been going on (yikes)

Well, I'm not proud. That steward would have to live with the fact of "what has been seen cannot be unseen'! :eek: :p

Actually, the poor SOB would have to deal with the fury of my DW, who would probably not see the humor in it as I would.

Don't see what the issue with the steward is. He knocked on a door with no 'do not disturb' sign and entered when he did not receive a response where he immediately exited when he realized it was occupied. What else do you expect him to do?

I think you need to reread the OP. The person did respond; told the steward to come back later.

The deadbolts do work and the stewards can't unlock them. Not even your S&S card will unlock them. I suggest deadbolt was not engaged, for whatever reason.

If the door is deadbolted properly, and a normal key card is inserted into the lock, the light sequence that flashes is different than what is normally seen, indicating the door is deadbolted.

What ship was this and when?

I used to travel for work and felt more comfortable with a little more security on my door. These work exceptionally well. The downside is if you need help and can't let someone in, they would have to break down the door to get to you.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/portable-door-lock-p-1176.html

That is cool, Thank you!! Just ordered one for our Las Vegas trip coming up ...Thanks for the info! I was gonna use a rubber stopper but I like this device better & it will be great for all our other lil trips too!!

I was actually locked out of my cabin by the deadbolt on the Imagination last year. My GF had gone back to the cabin after 1 too many bevages and put the deadbolt on w/o realizing. I came back from the Midnight buffet and could not get into my room. I pounded on the door to no avail at waking her up.

I asked the room steward to let me in, but he could not either. I had to go to the desk and they had to send a supervisor up with a keycard to open the door for me! It was a royal pain and took like 40 minutes for me to get into my room. So I can assure you the deadbolts do work, and that the room key will not open the door if the deadbolt is on.

Think about it.

Should he even be knocking at the door at 8 am on a seaday?

Would you want to be woken up after being up late the night before?

Way to early to be knocking on a passengers door.

Think about it.

That's what the Do No Disturb sign and deadbolt is for. It is part of our ritual every night unless we plan an early start the next day.

Especially on sea days, too many passengers wait until just before the cabin stewards shift is supposed to end to exit the stateroom, leaving the steward an impossible workload to accomplish in an unreasonable amount of time.

The stewards are already overworked. It is perfectly reasonable for them to try to get an early start.

Think about it.

That is what the DND sign is for. You leave it up until you leave the room when you put the 'clean now' sign on. I have used it in that manner an never had a miscommunication.

I use the snoozin/cruizin door hanger and have never been disturbed by a knock or someone entering my cabin.[/quot

That is what it is there for. Use ours all the time & have never been bothered. In fact put it on early & our steward was so worried was glad I had forgotted to do something & went out for a min. he came right up & ask if the ol'man was ok. :rolleyes:

That is what the DND sign is for. You leave it up until you leave the room when you put the 'clean now' sign on. I have used it in that manner an never had a miscommunication.

Until one of the passengers "little darlings" runs the hallways at night and removes them.:rolleyes:

Would think they would cover this in the first week of training. Totally unacceptable.

I would think they would ignore the do not disturb sign on debarkation day also, or the rooms would not get made up in time.

I could see my son leaving the sign out when leaving the cruise (for ever)

this is the situation that gets me. While on the Dream last July - the exact and total opposite thing went on. We had gone to the pool on a sea day. I realized that I had left something in the room - I go back to the cabin and the stewards were beginning their cleaning responsibilities. Our cabin door was propped open with the door stopper - wide open. At first I didn't think too much of it - just went in and retrieved what I needed. No cabin steward in sight. I went to the bathroom, still no cabin steward in sight. I called for the cabin steward in the hallway (because a couple more cabins in the hallway were wide open too) - no answer, no steward in sight. Completely tee'd me off! I finally got on the phone and called guest services to report the situation. Of course, they apologized; but I waited another 3 to 4 minutes for my cabin steward to walk in the cabin while I sat right there on the vanity stool. He looked at me surprised and I expressed my disbelief and disappointment to him. He apologized; but had been down filling ice buckets and the assistant was supposed to be "on guard" in the hallway; but obviously WAS NOT.

Unacceptable!

I can believe it happened, and should not have,

did you report the long list of things that were missing? Camera, computers, video camera, ect.

I would think they would ignore the do not disturb sign on debarkation day also, or the rooms would not get made up in time.

I could see my son leaving the sign out when leaving the cruise (for ever)

Debarkation dauy perhaps as they are under pressure to clean all the cabins but they do know who has already left so they could start there.

Archived