NCL: 2 thumbs down

SWB1952

what public sex acts???? People were actually having sex on deck in the open??? Guess that's what was deleted here???? Still, if that's going on by a group & you're offended by it, how does that ruin your bingo game or physically stop u from having your own drink or enjoying the buffet??????

Oh, wow. That makes me glad I cruise during the hurricane season.. I would rather face a huricane than that..

That indeed does sound like a bad cruise..

I hope you don't mind my asking but, you said you sail during hurrican season...I have been wondering about doing this....What is your opinion? Ever had any horror stories or bad experiences due to the weather? Do you feel as safe as non-hurrican season? Thanks!! :)

I hope you don't mind my asking but, you said you sail during hurrican season...I have been wondering about doing this....What is your opinion? Ever had any horror stories or bad experiences due to the weather? Do you feel as safe as non-hurrican season? Thanks!! :)

I have only taken 2 cruises, one during the hurricane season, one not.. We did get very close to hurricane Ivan, and did experience some very rough weather.. I think in most cases the ship can avoid the storms. In our case we hit the storm coming into Cozumel and there was no place to go.. In Feb we had a front following us that caused almost as much discomfort as the hurricane did. But I feel safe in hurricane season. I will let you know when I cruise again in Oct during hurricane season..lol

I am a 31 yo guy who has been on 20 cruises including three previous sailings on NCL. I too was on the 4/10 sailing and was not pleased with some of the things that went on. I sailed on the Norwegian Star less than 2 months ago and had an awesome time. Beautiful ship, great staff, and well behaved passengers. I approached this cruise with similar expectations. Big mistake. The deck parties were crude at best and there were a few teens and even a couple young children present when the nudity was going on on deck. The dj was the one who encouraged it in the first place holding a contest where women took off their tops and then he announced "where I come from women go even farther." At that point, a few parents move quickly to get their kids out of there. Such goings on have no place on a cruise ship catering to families.

My major complaint from the cruise was getting prank calls. This went on for 3 nights. On night 2 we had 4 calls between 1 and 5am waking us up. On the third night I finally figured out how to tell where the call was coming from. I called reception to complain and got no where. I then got out of bed at 2:30am and went down stairs to speak to her in person. She takes the room number and tells me "I can't call them now, they might be sleeping." After they'd just woke me up, I was ticked. I demanded to speak with security and finally they arrived. Sure enough it was some girls from the radio group (we'd never met) being obnoxious. Apparently other complained of the same thing as well.

NCL had a deal with the radio group where for $150 you could buy a wristband and drink all you wanted. More than a few people took advantage of this program (it was only open to the radio group, not to the rest of the ship) and were drunk to the point of vomitting. Very disgusting. The behavior on this ship was the reason I decided a few years back to avoid Carnival. Think after this trip NCL will be on the list as well. Will stick to HAL, Celebrity, and Crystal where people seem to have some sense of class.

SWB1952 I'd love to get the address for NCL from you as I too want to file a complaint. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your story. I heard one of our radio stations here in Philly is supposed to send a group like what you describe on a cruise...after reading your info I called around to make sure its not happening on my cruise. Fortunately its not.

Sorry you had a bad trip but thanks for sharing.

Linda

11 days unitl we sail the Crown Philly to Bermuda 05/01

:eek:

Hi!

Do you call the cruise line and ask them or....? I would hate to have something like this happen on our first cruise. I think my husband would start throwing people overboard, and I might help!

JodyM

• 2 weeks later...

The cruise lines (NCL,Princess,Celebrity, HAL - I have checked in the past)can tell you if they have groups, but the resevation or group reservation people have not abeen able to tell me anything other than the names of the groups - which is not helpful. On one HAL cruise from San Diego, there was a very large group (300+)attending a conservative Republican event(William Buckley, Wm. Krystol, the Clinton prosecuting attorney, etc.)which was incredibly well behaved, meeting only in large private conference areas. I do not think you can predict behavior unless you have personal knowledge of the sponsoring organization(Hip-Hop radio station would not usually be well-behaved). I think NCL had an obligation to the rest of the passengers, and could have turned off the loudspeakers, closesd the bar when the party got out of line. If they do not want the normal cruise passsengers, just continue to go after the rowdy bunch.

Stan

Anyone else on this same cruise have these problems, or just more first time posters (like MOST people with ""issues" around here lately....) Sorry for the cynicism, but I've been on these boards long enough to know how it works 95% of the time...

Splatitudes, please explain to those of us who have NOT "been on these boards long enough to know how it works 95% of the time..."

We're to express an opinion only after we've made 20 or 30 posts?

Splatitudes, please explain to those of us who have NOT "been on these boards long enough to know how it works 95% of the time..."

I don't think it matters. It seems that some subjects are not popular for discussion with some members. If you post about negative topics certain members don't seem to like it and they will try to devalue your opinion . If you are a new poster they will say "don't take this seriously they are new." if you are an older poster they will say " this person has a history of complaining" in either case they are just trying to attack your credibility however they can. so i say just post what you want and don't worry if the attack you for it.

Rosetta welcome to the board. Feel free to give whatever opinion you have. I will tell you that as a rule, if someone has a negative experience, they tell everyone they know. If they have a positive experience, they may not tell anyone. So it may seem that a lot of first time posters here have negative things to say. That doesn't devalue the opinion though. In this case, the original poster to this thread registered and made 10 posts all to this one thread between April 20 and April 25. This member hasn't been seen since. Is that someone that came to the board just to complain? What about the rest of the cruise? Yes, there was something legitimate to complain about but what about everything else? How was the food? What about the room? The ports? The drinks? Embarkation? Debarkation? Cruise director? Other things happened on the cruise besides the bad stuff right? We will never know because all this new member did was come here to complain about his trip. That's why some members are leery of new members here to do nothing but tell a bad story. But not everyone feels that way. It may not be right or fair but you asked... Again, welcome to the board. Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's.

I think the reason the OP disappeared was precisely because his or her (I can't remember which) opinion was devalued, and I am surprised that a hostess would do so in a follow up post like this, although I think that wasn't the intention

If I had been on a cruise like this, I'm afraid the entire cruise might have been ruined for me - the quality of the meals, etc., would be irrelevant.

Others can compartamentalize better, but don't fault someone like the OP when something does in fact spill over and taint the entire experience.

And unlike other problems reported, where I don't see that NCL (or whatever line) could have done much, in this case, the result was predictable - selling unlimited booze, to a large group of mostly young persons from a radio station with a genre that most reasonable folks would believe would attract rowdies - that is just stupid. Same with the "Spring Break Animal House" cruise also reported, with hundreds of Fla. college kids allowed to sail. Geez, do you suppose they got unlimited alcohol as well?

Archived