Stuck in elevator on cruise ship????

kimberly1949

Has anyone ever been stuck in an elevator on a cruise ship? If so, how long did it take until they got you out????? I don't like elevators and was just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with elevators on a cruise ship. :o

Just yesterday, I read of someone who mentioned they had once been stuck in one of the elevators onboard. :eek:

I'm going to start working the stairmaster into my workout routine so I can take the stairs the entire time I'm on the ship! :)

Never... I always take the stairs. Good exercise after eating sooo much!;)

My MIL always took the elevator and never had a problem. She also mentioned how polite the kids were, always made room for her. And we cruise during the summer with alot of kids on board.:)

I would think elevators on board are essentially the same as any other modern elevator. If you use them on land, there's no reason not to use them on board.

A couple years back, I was stuck in one of the elevators at work, I used the help button, told the person my situation, sat down on the floor, relaxed, and a technician manually opened the door in ten minutes. (Ever notice the little hole on an elevator door? That's how they open it manually.)

Less than a year ago, however, one of my coworkers got stuck - it became quickly obvious that she was claustrophobic and her panic got worse and worse. She clawed her way out before the technician arrived. I have my own phobias, so I understand the fear - people in that condition cannot be told that everything will be ok and to sit down and relax.

So, it's up to you. At least technicians are never far away on board. Maybe stick with the glass elevators to feel less claustrophobic should the unlikely event of being stuck occur.

We got stuck in an elevator on the Conquest in June 2008. It was on formal night so my friend and I were in our fancy dresses and heels......we looked real cute when they pried the doors open and pulled us and out cuz the elevator was stuck between floors.

Later on we very stupidly got back in the same elevator and got stuck AGAIN. :eek: After that time they shut the elevator down for some maintenance. It wasn't scary and didn't take too long to get us out.......we were actually laughing.....especially the 2nd time. :rolleyes:

it's not a frequent occurrence, but it's not unheard of. They're just like elevators on land. If you do happen to get stuck, just use the call button and then relax. Someone will get you out quickly.

Just use the stairs if it's really a concern for you.

Just hit the help button and they will send some from Otis promptly - only kidding. I know of only 1 person, personally, getting stuck and unfortunately they too were claustrophobic so it was very traumatic for them. I also take the stairs unless I am going from 3rd floor to Lido maybe - some people do not have that option due to disability etc. I would also suggest if some one is claust. then the glass ones aren't as confining but they are smaller.

Archived