Sky review - Feb24

phyzz

This was my first time sailing with NCL - we have traveled on Carnival in the past . And we think that for what we are looking for , we will probably go back to Carnival .

This was a reward for my daughter ( 11yrs old ) and her awesome great grades . We did a quick 3 day trip to the Bahamas.

We flew in the night before and stayed at the Sheraton Exec. Hotel by the airport . The place was great ! Beds were Awesome !!! My DD thought it was soo cool to be able to swim at 11pm in Febuary !!

We took a cab ($24 flat fee ) to the port . ride took about 15 minutes .

We arrived - check in was quick and we were on the Sky in less than a half hour .

The photographer was a little rushed , he did not even give us a chance to pose before he snapped the photo . And I ALWAYS buy that photo . We noticed later when walking through the photo area that alot of people did not look "ready" .

We were greeted on the deck by the crew , dancing and singing . That was fun !

I found it odd that there were no servers there to offer us drinks - we had to stand in a line at a table . - so i passed .

we headed up to the buffet as instructed only to find a long line - as we wandered around we noticed a sign on the door of the Itailan resturant- we went in and they had a pasta buffet - with no waiting . My daughter was in heaven . she LOVES pasta .

No one to offer you drinks? As in the people that hound you to buy the Drink of the Day in the overpriced souvenir cup??

I personally would prefer that there not be someone there as soon as I get on.

Interested in the rest of the review, as the rest of your post seems positive.

we explored the ship for a while , then at 1pm we went to our cabin . or should I say Closet . It was soooooooooooo small. there was barely enough room to walk around the bed .

we went topside for sailaway ...again - surprised not to find photographers taking photos . Since it was just my DD and I , I was really looking for them to take photos with the 2 of us together . not a photog in sight . or a server - they never asked me for an order - they just wandered and you had to flag them down .

DD and I had reservations in the Itailan resturant the first night .... what a dispiontment , the service was not good. Our waitress was so new and confused . She seemed to have a hard time understanding our order .

she never even asked if we would like a beverage . The food was good . I had Salmon ( which came with a huge portion of white beans) and DD had tortelini . The choclate torte for dessert was delish !!! and very RICH !!

we had plans to play Bingo - until we found out how expensive it was - it started at 40.00 . too much for me .

DD and I found that there was nothing for families to do on this boat . the kids club was terrible- they had no activities planned - all it said was "free play" on the daily . we spent alot of time with "nothing to do"

so I would say the SKY is geared more for partiers , drinkers and gamblers . which is fine - just not what I was hoping for on this trip .

Our first day was spent at Great Stirrup Cay . We tendered over around 930ish . very quick and easy . The beach was beautiful !!! we had a great day here . The buffet was nice with lots of different options . DD loved the HIPPO slide . There were some family activites planned here - but no one was really there to participate -so we passed . most folks were enjoying the beach and the food .

the Live music was a plus too - I really enjoyed that .

we stayed until about 3 ...it was so hot and my poor daughter was getting a little burnt . tender back again - very quick and easy .

I had reservations at Cagneys for this evening - but we were soo beat from being at the beach all day that i was really not in the mood to get dressed up -so I called to cancel . but I was told there are no cancelations . if I did not show , I would be charged anyway . wow !!!

really ???

Again , DD and I found ourselves rather bored . there was noting on the kids daily for her to join in . so we just wasted time wandering around . we played deal or no deal - which was fun . that was different from any other game we have done before .

we had planned to go to the Pink hot party - but we fell asleep . DD was not happy next moring when she realized that she missed the party .

No one to offer you drinks? As in the people that hound you to buy the Drink of the Day in the overpriced souvenir cup??

I personally would prefer that there not be someone there as soon as I get on.

Interested in the rest of the review, as the rest of your post seems positive.

oh trust me - the drinks on NCL were just as over priced . I paid 8.00 for a virgin pina colada for my DD .

we explored the ship for a while , then at 1pm we went to our cabin . or should I say Closet . It was soooooooooooo small. there was barely enough room to walk around the bed .

we went topside for sailaway ...again - surprised not to find photographers taking photos . Since it was just my DD and I , I was really looking for them to take photos with the 2 of us together . not a photog in sight . or a server - they never asked me for an order - they just wandered and you had to flag them down .

DD and I had reservations in the Itailan resturant the first night .... what a dispiontment , the service was not good. Our waitress was so new and confused . She seemed to have a hard time understanding our order .

she never even asked if we would like a beverage . The food was good . I had Salmon ( which came with a huge portion of white beans) and DD had tortelini . The choclate torte for dessert was delish !!! and very RICH !!

we had plans to play Bingo - until we found out how expensive it was - it started at 40.00 . too much for me .

DD and I found that there was nothing for families to do on this boat . the kids club was terrible- they had no activities planned - all it said was "free play" on the daily . we spent alot of time with "nothing to do"

so I would say the SKY is geared more for partiers , drinkers and gamblers . which is fine - just not what I was hoping for on this trip .

Most 3 and 4 days cruises are for partiers - not families. NCL's 7 day cruises have many activities for children. I think the fault lies with the cruise you chose - not the line you chose. I find even 7 day cruises on Carnival loaded with many partiers and drinkers and prefer the more restrained atmosphere on NCL. I have taken the sky 4 day cruise and won't do that again - will stick with 7 days and longer.

Sorry your trip was such a disappointment. Maybe the lack of activities was the fact it was a 3 day. Has your Carnival sailings also been that short. We had so much offered to do on our Dawn and Star 7 day cruises, we missed so much.

I do find it a little comical that some of the things you have had issues with were things most are complaining about.

Photographer at embarkation. Most people complain because they have to get that photo taken and are in a rush to get on board and don't want to be held up.

Lack of drink being offered as you board, again most complain because servers are jumping out of the woodwork, pushing a drink at them.

No photographers for sailaway, again most complain about too many photographers all over the ships.

It just shows you can't please everyone.

The cabin size perhaps would not have been a shock if you had researched before hand. NCL has the sq. footage of the cabins on their web site.

BTW it's White hot party not pink (just for any newbies reading this)

If you decide to try NCL again on a longer cruise I hope it is better for you. If not happy sailing on whatever line meets your likes.

I too am sorry the OP had a disappointing experience but things like stateroom size and specialty dining cancellation policies are very easy to determine, and I am not aware of any cruise line that lets you cancel specialty dining same day without penalty.

I had reservations at Cagneys for this evening - but we were soo beat from being at the beach all day that i was really not in the mood to get dressed up -so I called to cancel . but I was told there are no cancelations . if I did not show , I would be charged anyway . wow !!!

really ???

This is exactly why I don't make reservations anymore. The only exception being Teppanyaki, which I don't patronize anymore anyway. Overpriced and gimmicky. The cancellation policy is ridiculous. We have found we just walk up to any surcharge restaurant we choose and are seated immediately. Most are half-full or less.

I too am sorry the OP had a disappointing experience but things like stateroom size and specialty dining cancellation policies are very easy to determine, and I am not aware of any cruise line that lets you cancel specialty dining same day without penalty.

Last year on NCL you only had to cancel by 5pm the same day to incur zero penalty. They have since bumped it up to 24 hours before or you lose the entire surcharge.

Last year on NCL you only had to cancel by 5pm the same day to incur zero penalty. They have since bumped it up to 24 hours before or you lose the entire surcharge.

Whether I agree or not, I don't set the policies and it is your pergotive not to frequent them if you do not like the policy. I can respect that.

But the OP did seem surprised by this "so I called to cancel . but I was told there are no cancelations . if I did not show , I would be charged anyway . wow !!!

really ???"

The policy is wrote right on the back of the freestyle (in regular print, not even fine print like the old freestyle dailies policies were).

So agreeing or not in the policy there really was no reason for not knowing or being surprised.

You are safe, white it is ;)

I think I read on another review that it actually is pink on this ship...

I really appreciated OP's comments since we booked the 4 day for DH's birthday in Sept. We booked an inside cabin - no frills - so cabin size is a non-issue this trip. Funny about the photographers and servers - DH and I hate the photographers and don't want to be offered a drink from the "Drink of the Day." I am glad that OP found the pizza - another reviewer of the Sky wrote that they never saw any pizza onboard - they totally missed the italian in the other restaurant venue:)

Our children are grown, but I would think that the children's programs would be better on the 3 day cruise - from what I have read, a lot of family's will choose this short, weekend cruise to bring their kids. At this time of year the 4 day would definitely be more for couples and adults traveling together. OP - were there a lot of other children onboard? NCL should investigate the points that she has brought up.

I think I read on another review that it actually is pink on this ship....

I really hope that is an error :eek:

Funny about the photographers and servers - DH and I hate the photographers and don't want to be offered a drink from the "Drink of the Day." .

I rest my case :D

Most 3 and 4 days cruises are for partiers - not families. NCL's 7 day cruises have many activities for children. I think the fault lies with the cruise you chose - not the line you chose. I find even 7 day cruises on Carnival loaded with many partiers and drinkers and prefer the more restrained atmosphere on NCL. I have taken the sky 4 day cruise and won't do that again - will stick with 7 days and longer.

Curious why you did not like your 4 day cruise. We are booked for the Sky and we are in our late 50's. Not looking for tons of activities but not really into the partying scene either.

TIA.

A group on the ship was part of the Susan G. Komen fight for cure. Lots of Pink I fight like a girl shirts, just great group to be on a ship with. Hence "Johnny Cash" and daily called the white hot party the "pink hot party" for this cruise.

I was on the cruise and had a ball, but found many of the issues you did you can read my review below.

A group on the ship was part of the Susan G. Komen fight for cure. Lots of Pink I fight like a girl shirts, just great group to be on a ship with. Hence "Johnny Cash" and daily called the white hot party the "pink hot party" for this cruise.

Thanks for the explanation.

Just uploaded my photo's and wanted to share how the windows looked. This one is pretty normal for how the windows looked, the photo if anything does show the streaks and dirt as much as you see with your eyes.

MDR for lunch the day we left. Only got more dirty as time went on.

640177677_skyMDR.jpg.f7411ee20aeffe67df115cde132a95c6.jpg

Sorry your trip was such a disappointment. Maybe the lack of activities was the fact it was a 3 day. Has your Carnival sailings also been that short. We had so much offered to do on our Dawn and Star 7 day cruises, we missed so much.

I do find it a little comical that some of the things you have had issues with were things most are complaining about.

Photographer at embarkation. Most people complain because they have to get that photo taken and are in a rush to get on board and don't want to be held up.

Lack of drink being offered as you board, again most complain because servers are jumping out of the woodwork, pushing a drink at them.

No photographers for sailaway, again most complain about too many photographers all over the ships.

It just shows you can't please everyone.

The cabin size perhaps would not have been a shock if you had researched before hand. NCL has the sq. footage of the cabins on their web site.

BTW it's White hot party not pink (just for any newbies reading this)

If you decide to try NCL again on a longer cruise I hope it is better for you. If not happy sailing on whatever line meets your likes.

I was thinking the same thing- most people complain about the servers always being in their face and the photographers. There were photographers roaming the ship on the Dream, taking pictures with a person in a dolphin suit and at dinner, etc. The only time we saw photographers on the Sky (4 day) was at the embarkation, at the end of the gangway in port (in various costumes) and in several places the Atrium. I never saw them walking around the ship taking candid shots.

I was thinking the same thing- most people complain about the servers always being in their face and the photographers. There were photographers roaming the ship on the Dream, taking pictures with a person in a dolphin suit and at dinner, etc. The only time we saw photographers on the Sky (4 day) was at the embarkation, at the end of the gangway in port (in various costumes) and in several places the Atrium. I never saw them walking around the ship taking candid shots.

Some would say that was a plus.

I on the hand, like the OP don't have an issue with photographers because I'm the picture taker and it's the only way to prove to family and friends that "yes I did go on the vacation too" ;). I seriously don't like my photo taken or plastered on the wall of fame in the photo studio but in this case I make an exception for the reasons above.

Unlike the OP I would not state that as a negative to my cruise. But everyone's mileage is different and what is very important to one is not to another.

Some would say that was a plus.

I on the hand, like the OP don't have an issue with photographers because I'm the picture taker and it's the only way to prove to family and friends that "yes I did go on the vacation too" ;). I seriously don't like my photo taken or plastered on the wall of fame in the photo studio but in this case I make an exception for the reasons above.

Unlike the OP I would not state that as a negative to my cruise. But everyone's mileage is different and what is very important to one is not to another.

I take all of the pictures (or the vast majority of them) and the only proof I have that I was on the cruise are the group pictures the ship's photographers took (and my cabin card).

Archived