Ship vs independent excursions

coltsgal1

I was wondering if you find out the name of the companies the ships contract with for excursions. Many of the descriptions sound similar to independent ones but the ships lists are not named as a company.

We are on HAL early June and looking for a whale watching excursion in Juneau and like the recommendations here on cc but ships sound very similar. Guess we should just pick one but don't want to be on a crowded boat.

Last time I was in Alaska I booked whale watching independently with Orca Enterprises, I enjoyed it but I would go with an even smaller boat next time. You can feel pretty confident booking independently in Alaska. I've figured out a lot of the tour operators by looking at the photos with the tour descriptions, for example you can see the name on the side of the boat or plane or the colors etc. Then researched from there.

If you want to avoid big crowds then as a generality need to go private. When you book you can ask them how big a boat, are you sharing boat etc. Less to do with vendor than the specif tour you are booking.

We went with Orca, smaller group about 15 folks from 3 parties, YMMV.

I was wondering if you find out the name of the companies the ships contract with for excursions. Many of the descriptions sound similar to independent ones but the ships lists are not named as a company.

We are on HAL early June and looking for a whale watching excursion in Juneau and like the recommendations here on cc but ships sound very similar. Guess we should just pick one but don't want to be on a crowded boat.

You can read this forum from now until doomsday, and you're going to come up with the same two most-recommended vendors over and over - Harv& Marv or Orca. Although I'd never hesitate (from the reviews) to go with Harv & Marv, we went with Orca - and I really felt sorry for those we passed who were on the ship exursion packed like sardines on that boat.

Archived