East versus West Glacier Trail in Juneau?

mgscruiser

Doing a lot of research on the trails available in Juneau - I currently do a lot of running (half-marathons, marathons) so I feel like I could handle the trails.

My question deals more with the bear aspect and wetness of the trails. We'll be in Juneau in early May (5/13), should we expect snow? I know we'll be layered, how would we find out if the trails are still snow-covered? Also, how to avoid the bears on the East and West trail - are they more likely to be on one versus the other? Where to get bear spray (do they still make that)?

Thanks!

Noise is your friend with bears. And in your timeframe, yes could be snow trails. The East Loop is almost a "permanent trail", many stairs, which you can't miss, where the west loop is far less used and "marked". A significant reason to do the west trail is for glacier access. If you haven't glacier trekked prioir, then a guide would be recommended.

The stairs on the East Trail can be very slippery in early May. I've been there at the other end of the season when there was a pretty good slip and fall risk.

Remember that in May the bears will be hungry and seeking food. Just don't be a food source by carrying wonderful food on you.

Thanks BudgetQueen! I have never glacier trekked, was just hoping to get photos of the glacier from up above, but if it needs a guide we'll probably stick to the East trail then. :)

The glacier is hardly viewable from the East Loop trail. It is all heavy wooded. Your BEST viewing will be Nugget Falls trail, along the lake, up to the water falls.

Thanks BudgetQueen! I have never glacier trekked, was just hoping to get photos of the glacier from up above, but if it needs a guide we'll probably stick to the East trail then. :)

If you are going above the glacier and not on it, you don't need a guide. I hiked on the West Glacier Trail a couple of years ago and got great photos from above the glacier's face. But as BQ said, in mid May it might still be snowy. I would consider the West Glacier Trail and see how far up you can get. It is probably the nicest trail in the area and by far less crowded.

Archived