MDR 1st night wearing short

HI

I never go to the MDR wearing short , but Im sailing from san juan which leaves at 8:30pm, is it ok if I wear short at the first night ? Thanks !:confused:

I'm sure you can, regardless of what time the ship leaves port. But I'm curious, since you never wear shorts to the MDR, what bearing does the ship leaving at 8:30 have on it?

I got off Adventure on Mar. 4th. Personally, I don't like to see shorts in the MDR and would never wear them, but my cousin wore shorts a couple times for dinner. Nothing was said to her. I saw a few others also wearing shorts on various nights. The short-wearers were a VERY SMALL percentage of the diners. We had MTD on deck 5 of the dining room. I didn't see a sign by the MDR or anything posted in the Compass about not allowing shorts in the MDR. I have seen notices posted in the past on other ships.

The maitre d' at Portofino would not let her in wearing shorts. She tried to tell him that they were "dressy" shorts but he wouldn't budge - no shorts period.

We wore shorts because our luggage had not arrived. Our waiter commented that we needed to wear long pants from now on. We were offended since it wasn't our fault......he said "no problem" but I don't think he should have made us feel bad........

No worse than his tip would have been! Seriously, last time the airline lost my baggage, my hotel gave me a toothbrush & a free drink, not a plate of attitude! How can anyone know what a person's situation is & how dare they pass judgement like that!

Oh My Goodness! Our 1st night on FOS this past summer was a bit embarrassing! Our luggage did not arrive when it was time for MDR.

We wore what we wore on to the ship that day. We had been swimming/muster drill/ Sail away/ On and on. We had swim hair, etc.

I asked our waiter if we could come in and he was very welcoming. Those around us had their luggage and were able to get cleaned up. They were understanding. Some got their luggage just in time.

So, the answer is yes.

I think if that happened to us again, then we would head to the WJ. I know the 1st night is casual, but if it is bad with swim hair and no make-up?????

oops...guilty! we wore our travel clothes first night- shorts for me. I remember another woman at our table in denim, so I didn't feel so bad. Seemed first night was casual all around...even atmosphere felt much more casual than nights that followed. we enjoy dressing up the other nights, but more power to you! :)

Just got back from SJ sailed on Serenade. Shorts were common first night and on Caribbean night.

I too am just back from Serenade and this is correct but There were also shorts every other casual night in the MDR with no problem

Shirt N Tie & Black Pants should be required for EVERY MDR sit down...Formal Night, Jacket, Shirt N Tie, Black Pants or Tux. Lets not forget dress shoes. This is dinner in the MAIN DINING ROOM, not McDonalds!!!

Shirt N Tie & Black Pants should be required for EVERY MDR sit down...Formal Night, Jacket, Shirt N Tie, Black Pants or Tux. Lets not forget dress shoes. This is dinner in the MAIN DINING ROOM, not McDonalds!!!

Ladies: Formal Dress/Business Suit

Yes! You should go formal every night if you desire. After all, it's your vacation :D

In my humble opinion shorts OK for the first night if the bags have not arrived other than that never in the main dining room, even on a casual night. It should be 'smart casual', the same goes for wearing T-Shirts. The dress code should be strictly enforced by the staff.

If anyone wants to eat and wear shorts or T-Shirts go to the windjammer or any equivalent eating establishment.

Allowing shorts and T-shirts into the main dining room is a slippery slope to being a free for all.

On previous cruises, I have noticed that some peoples idea of casual just does not compute.

in my humble opinion shorts ok for the first night if the bags have not arrived other than that never in the main dining room, even on a casual night. It should be 'smart casual', the same goes for wearing t-shirts. The dress code should be strictly enforced by the staff.

If anyone wants to eat and wear shorts or t-shirts go to the windjammer or any equivalent eating establishment.

Allowing shorts and t-shirts into the main dining room is a slippery slope to being a free for all.

On previous cruises, i have noticed that some peoples idea of casual just does not compute.

totally agree with those comments

In my humble opinion shorts OK for the first night if the bags have not arrived other than that never in the main dining room, even on a casual night. It should be 'smart casual', the same goes for wearing T-Shirts. The dress code should be strictly enforced by the staff.

If anyone wants to eat and wear shorts or T-Shirts go to the windjammer or any equivalent eating establishment.

Allowing shorts and T-shirts into the main dining room is a slippery slope to being a free for all.

On previous cruises, I have noticed that some peoples idea of casual just does not compute.

Totally disagree with these comments. Wear whatever you want and I'll wear what I want and we can ignore each other as we slide down the slippery slope.

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Since the dress codes aren't enforced in any way and people can dress how ever they want without being stopped at the entrance to the MDR. It's clear that the dress codes are to be seen as loose guidelines.

With only two cruises behind me I have still seen it all. Formal night or casual night doesn't matter. People will show up in whatever clothes they feel comfortable in. I stretches all the way from shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to a full tux.

You may feel the way you like about it. But that's the reality you have to relate to.

I'm the kind of guy who wears nice jeans to MDR on casual nights. I wear a black suit and tie on formal night. That's how I like to dress when I go to dinner. I'm not the best dressed man onboard but sure not the worst either.

I think it would be a good idea to keep a section of the MDR an enforced dress code area. An area where you wouldn't be allowed in if weren't in a suit or tux. It would mean a small effort from RCI to to that.

But I'm also the kind of guy who can relate to the reality around me. RCI aren't enforcing the dress codes. If that was a deal breaker for me I would take my business elsewhere, to a cruise line that enforces the dress codes.

As simple as that.

[quote name='struther1']Totally disagree with these comments. Wear whatever you want and I'll wear what I want and we can ignore each other as we slide down the slippery slope.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me, its a matter of standards in my book.

[quote name='Rowtyd'][B]Yes! You should go formal every night if you desire. After all, it's your vacation :D[/B][/quote]But that would be against the dress code. They're suggested dress codes not suggested dress minimums.

Note that shorts are OK in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. And the first night MDR staff (and passengers) should understand that bags might not yet have arrived. However, if long pants are available to you, I suggest you put them on instead of shorts for MDR dinner.

Archived