Rum Runner-Naughty Room

My question on this is how many of you had a problem with them leaking? I did see on post that it happened, but they put it in a ziploc bag, which is what I would plan on doing. Doesn't the air pressure on the plane explode them at all? Sometime my bottle of shampoo explode, so I'm afraid this would happen to these rum runners. Thanks for your feedback!

My question on this is how many of you had a problem with them leaking? I did see on post that it happened, but they put it in a ziploc bag, which is what I would plan on doing. Doesn't the air pressure on the plane explode them at all? Sometime my bottle of shampoo explode, so I'm afraid this would happen to these rum runners. Thanks for your feedback!

If you follow the instructions that come with them, you shouldn't have any problems.........that said, I always put them in a ziplock bag as a back up. Key is not to overfill them and make sure you get the air out of them before packing them.

We have been using them for years and have never had a leakage problem. I also have read that some people have had a defective one. I do recommend following the directions and not over filling them - that might be the case as to why some did leak.

We always put them in a zip lock, not just incase of leakage, but that way we can label the zip lock.

Go to the rum runner web site, they show a video and explain how they are not affected by the air pressure.

Good luck:)

I was going to wait until getting to fort lauderdale to fill them as I am afraid to bring them on a plane. Would you get in huge trouble if you get caught bringing them on a plane?

No problem in checked luggage...........can't take them through security (at least filled)......

I was going to wait until getting to fort lauderdale to fill them as I am afraid to bring them on a plane. Would you get in huge trouble if you get caught bringing them on a plane?

No problem in checked luggage...........can't take them through security (at least filled)......

You should have no problem as long as it is in your checked luggage, even tho they are not metal with the new technologies at the airport, they will still catch them if you try to bring them on the plane.

Don't over fill them and always use a ziplock for extra protection.

When I am not flying in FC I have at times brought on a couple of small 3 oz size plastic bottles on the plane - as long as it is in a ziplock and you pull them out they will have no problem them (if you wanted to mix a little with your coke on the plane)

happy sailing ;)

You should have no problem as long as it is in your checked luggage, even tho they are not metal with the new technologies at the airport, they will still catch them if you try to bring them on the plane.

Don't over fill them and always use a ziplock for extra protection.

When I am not flying in FC I have at times brought on a couple of small 3 oz size plastic bottles on the plane - as long as it is in a ziplock and you pull them out they will have no problem them (if you wanted to mix a little with your coke on the plane)

happy sailing ;)

i was going to put them in checked luggage....haven't flow in YEARS and not sure what is "acceptable" with all of the new security measures. I didn't want to be accused of trying to smuggle something on the plane in my luggage :rolleyes:

What are rum runners?

Sorry to as but I have never heard of them, I am from the UK.

Are they an American thing? say like a flask?:confused:

As a fellow UK resident, I hope I can explain what rum runners are. They are a way of people smuggling alcohol onboard a cruise ship against the T&Cs of their cruise ticket because they are too cheap to buy it onboard.

And for those who use them, please do not try and justify your actions on using them, it does not wash with me, the cost and convenience of getting a drink onboard a RCI ship is so easy, it's called room service, or heaven forbid, go to the nearest bar (which is never far away) and purchase an alcoholic beverage, and the value for money for the cost of a drink onboard against land based costs cannot be justified either. And don't use the excuse RCI don't sell my preferred beverage. You've cruised before to know how to use rum runners, so you also know that the cruise line don't sell your preferred beverage, so choose another vacation where they do sell it, don't stiff the cruise line.

Sorry, but this is a topic that annoys me so much because it means that staff are also missing out on their 15% gratuity that I happily pay, but to some because I am Brit, some people think I must object to because tipping is not in our culture. Not true.

So come on, flame away.

Edited by peteukmcr

As a fellow UK resident, I hope I can explain what rum runners are. They are a way of people smuggling alcohol onboard a cruise ship against the T&Cs of their cruise ticket because they are too cheap to buy it onboard.

And for those who use them, please do not try and justify your actions on using them, it does not wash with me, the cost and convenience of getting a drink onboard a RCI ship is so easy, it's called room service, or heaven forbid, go to the nearest bar (which is never far away) and purchase an alcoholic beverage, and the value for money for the cost of a drink onboard against land based costs cannot be justified either. And don't use the excuse RCI don't sell my preferred beverage. You've cruised before to know how to use rum runners, so you also know that the cruise line don't sell your preferred beverage, so choose another vacation where they do sell it, don't stiff the cruise line.

Sorry, but this is a topic that annoys me so much because it means that staff are also missing out on their 15% gratuity that I happily pay, but to some because I am Brit, some people think I must object to because tipping is not in our culture. Not true.

So come on, flame away.

No flames here. Hope you feel better now that you have it off your chest. We always pay more than 15% BTW.

You all might think you are getting away with something by bringing your booz on board well i will tell you one thing,RCI will only stop certain people at certain times' think they have 18,ooo thousand pieces of luggage another 4000 carry on' they can see what you have in your bag.When i ran my machine for TSA i could pick a pocket knive out of a 40 pound carry on bag through all the wires shoes bras computers cameras, and liquids were enven easier to pick out.They don't have time like we did, take your chance on what day they want to hold you up in effigy chanses it wont happen to you but buy your drinks it's a vacation.

• 4 weeks later...
No flames here. Hope you feel better now that you have it off your chest. We always pay more than 15% BTW.

Wish there were a "Like" button for this comment! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :p

Edited by cwuer

wasn't sure if they pat you down like they do at stadiums, etc?

In Falmouth, yes. They would grab people's pockets and feel them for contraband. In Ft Lauderdale it looked like they were making some people prove their pockets were empty and there was a guy they made show his waistband. Don't know if it was for metal or alcohol.

What I found a bit tasteless is that a family in a room we had to pass to get to our suite was upset that their luggage hadn't shown up, and it sounded like they were getting a bit agitated with one of the stateroom attendants about it. A bewildered stateroom attendant came by to see what was wrong, and a security guy said (rather loudly) "THEY HAVE LIQUOR IN THEIR LUGGAGE". Said it with other pax walking by. Perhaps they DID have it, and confessed...I don't know. But I thought it was a bit tasteless to go broadcasting that in front of other people.

it's called room service

The one time we tried that it took 45 minutes. As noted sometimes making own trip to bar is not an option. Upcoming cruise we are definitley going to try the "make our own convenince bottle" from bar drinks earlier in the day for our ritual balcony brandy before bed. Cruise is too long to effectively smuggle enough.

If room service were quick (5-10 minutes would be acceptable) we would have no problem using that.

My question was in terms of bringing it on the ship at boarding through the metal detectors, not at ports. Thanks for all the comments!

On my last cruise - Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach - my boyfriend and I each had an 8 oz rum runner in our cargo shorts. Unlike current airport technology, cruise metal detectors are just that. We had no issues walking them on. We were able to have a cocktail before the rooms were ready.

I probably wouldn't try it with Goldsclager, just to be safe.

So come on, flame away.

My, my. That was an interesting post.

It doesn't bother me one bit (unlike the poster) that someone would smuggle booze onto a ship and I can't imagine why it would irritate someone enough to motivate them to write such a post.

Edited by beachnative

I agree with you beachnative. Booze smuggling doesn`t bother me either way. i have gone on some cruises with booze and other without. I certainly wouldn`t get worked up about it enough to write a response hoping for someone to `flame` me. Strange. :rolleyes: With that said, we were just on Oasis March 10-17 and brought on 2 boxes of wine. My dh wanted to try an experiment, so we took one of the wine bladders out of the box and left one in the box...both made it to our room. A friend of ours was traveling with a multi-purpose tool (unknowingly in his suitcase :eek:) and was called to the naughty room.

I don't understand why people have to go off on some tangent when someone just asks a question. No one asked for your moral campus.

Last time I checked (and correct me if I am wrong) there are NO perfect people on this planet. Let's just stick with answering questions.

I am tired of peoples double standards and its never me attitude.

RR are easy and work, we all enjoy a little something on our balcony. Thanks everyone who brings helpful info to the boards.