Carnival Sunshine???

big_duck

Actually Sheldon would be more then familiar with the statistical concept of a representative sample. Polls of just a few hundred respondents can accurately predict (with a small percentage of error) the election results with millions of voters.

Cruise critic members are NOT a representative sample of the population of Carnival cruisers. There is a completely different mentality here than exists with the average cruiser. Sorry but the sample you are refering to would be completely biased.

So maybe it had less to do with the Sheldon Cooper in me, and more to do with my work in experimental psychology, which of course relies heavily on statistical analysis. :D

Cruise critic members are NOT a representative sample of the population of Carnival cruisers. There is a completely different mentality here than exists with the average cruiser. Sorry but the sample you are refering to would be completely biased.

I agree. Too many times people will just agree with what the perceived "cool kids" are saying on here. I learned very quickly to take what I learn here with a grain of salt.

I'm probably dead when their cruise is over.

Probably! Enjoy your next 2 days of not getting raked over the coals by the FB fanatics.

She will be a beautiful ship, just too crowded.

I totally agree. I'm sure she will be really nice - just really crowded!

Cruise critic members are NOT a representative sample of the population of Carnival cruisers. There is a completely different mentality here than exists with the average cruiser.

True. I was not nearly as knowlegable about cruising until I joined CC. :)

Yep, I'm on his FB page; I know most over there don't like it either...but this is still not the majority of all carnival cruisers. We can't forget about the thousands and thousands of cruisers who aren't as cruise crazy as some of us here on CC and over on FB.

I'm just saying that you can't claim the majority of CCL customers do not like the name based on what has been said on CC and FB because the client base is so much bigger than that.

Like I have said, I really dislike the name as well, but it must just be the Sheldon Cooper in me...the current data is just insufficient to support your claim. (anyone else love Big Bang Theory? )

Therein lies the problem. The really loyal fans are found here, on Carnival and John's FB pages and in Funville. The majority of those are not happy. But I'm sure you're right...they are not the majority of people who cruise Carnival. In essence, Carnival is losing sight of their loyal followers and knowing they can fill the ships with newbies and the less-informed. They just don't care all that much about those who have been loyal followers.:rolleyes:

And yes, I LOVE Big Bang!:D

I agree with that totally. I bet a lot of people may like it because they aren't crazy like us. I still think it's more a 'boat' name but that's just an opinion. And people who aren't 'crazy' like us about cruising tend to call cruise ships 'boats' anyway, so what do they know??? :p:p

The name certainly doesn't really matter...it's just how it seems to tie in with a lot of other stuff that makes it that much less appealing....

YES I love Big Bang Theory. But my favorite show is Modern Family :D

Agree...a name is just a name. If Carnival wants their ships to sound idiotic, that's their perogative. But add 182 cabins and remove public spaces and that's enough to keep me off her...especially that aft pool Lido area! What are they thinking??

Actually Sheldon would be more then familiar with the statistical concept of a representative sample. Polls of just a few hundred respondents can accurately predict (with a small percentage of error) the election results with millions of voters.

This is true;)

I've been enjoying that nobody has thrown a brick through my window or tried to run me over when Im walking down the street with my criticisms of the Sunshine on CC and JH's blog.

I've been pouring chum in the water criticizing the recent decisions by Carnival execs and no sharks came.

I'm probably dead when their cruise is over.

Run, Forest, Run!!!:eek::p

In time, I will get over the re-name. Will miss the name Destiny as not only was she my first, but it is a fitting "cruise ship" name. And I must say the new serenity looks divine.

Everything else - too jammed packed with staterooms and not near enough public space to absorb everyone. No way will I ever sail her - not even if I won/was given a free cruise on her. They really need to rethink adding the staterooms on decks 3&5 - just add the new staterooms on the 12-14 decks and go with that.

Heat+Crowds=Tempers Flared

Tempers Flared+Alcohol=Disaster

I agree...not a good mix at all.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I did a quick comparison:

Destiny: pax-2642 crew-1040 length-892 decks-12

Sunshine: pax-3006 crew-1040 length-892 decks-14 (2 extra partial decks)

Freedom: pax-2974 crew-1150 length-952 decks-14

Breeze: pax-3690 crew-1386 length-1004 decks-15

Almmost 400 extra pax, no extra crew:eek: and 60 feet shorter than Freedom (which has about 110 more crew). Not going to be too fun in my opinion...

Greetings from somewhere high over the mid west. Articles and JH have stated that the crew size will increase. Don't know where they will put them though perhaps some will commute.

Maybe they will convert the crew lounges and bars to crews quarters. Makes for one unhappy ship.

Watch yer head on those low ceilings up there!

Almmost 400 extra pax, no extra crew:eek: and 60 feet shorter than Freedom (which has about 110 more crew). Not going to be too fun in my opinion...

Only a quick correction: Sunshine will have ONE extra partial deck. It will have 13 decks not 14. (there is no deck 13). Add Splendor to your comparison: pax 3006, crew?, length 950. Also wider. Decks = 13

Greetings from somewhere high over the mid west. Articles and JH have stated that the crew size will increase. Don't know where they will put them though perhaps some will commute.

Somebody at our table once seriously didn't realize that the crew lived on the ship. She laughed at herself once she thought about it for a couple of seconds.

Naturally the thing will be in New Orleans which is now our only port within semi-reasonable driving distance.

This morning I was talking to my sister on the phone and asked her "didn't you go on the Destiny?"

"Yeah", she said, "that is the one that broke down and stranded us."

So I tell her that it is going to be gutted and rebuilt and renamed Sunshine.

Then she starts laughing really hard and says, "What, are they going to name the next one?

Moonshine?":eek:

She says that she hopes they rebuild the engines too.:rolleyes:

And that on Destiny it was really hard to find somewhere to sit on deck.

Maybe they could give the Sunshine to Galveston and give the Triumph back to New Orleans...

Archived