Any word on the new Viking Longboats?

Spudee

I'm reminded of that great Will Rogers quote that , "All Indians walk side by side at least the two I ever saw were"

Meaning I've only taken one river cruise in my life so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to and no point if reference...so I feel very comfortable giving you my absolute, authoritative opinion.:)

My wife and I loved Amawaterways, loved the Amalegro, loved the river, loved the Rhine, and loved the Holiday cruise which had us on the Rhine for Christmas (went to my first Midnight Mass with members of the crew and other passengers who invited me along), and a fantastic New Years in Amsterdam (who knew they fired off fireworks at midnight?).

We were particularly lucky that the Gods of the river and the Gods of the weather smiled down upon us.

2010 (we were told) had one of the most severe winters in recent history.

2011 was one of the mildest in recent memory with an occasional light rain (that's it, my trip is totally ruined), but no snow, no ice, no sleet, no wind, and temperatures in the 40s.

And the river, which we had been reading up until our cruise was too low causing cancellations, missed cities, and bus rides over river cruising was absolutely perfect.

I could go on, but allow me to show you the letter I send to Ama after our cruise,

"My wife and I were on the Amalegro for the holiday Nuremberg to Amsterdam cruise after spending two fantastic days in Prague.

Never having been on a river cruise before, and almost scared off by all the horror stories of water level issues on the Rhine, we didn't know what to expect, but we had an amazing time, a true trip of a lifetime.

Artur and Kate were two of the best travel professionals we have ever traveled with. So much so that they have become the

models of excellence we will forever measure hotel and cruise managers against.

(My luggage did not make it from Paris to Prague. I casually mentioned this to Kate who immediately made my problem her own. She contacted Air France who told her they'd deliver the bag in a couple of days. Kate made it clear that was unacceptable and continually followed through until the bag arrived at 10pm the evening before our departure to Nuremberg.

Without Kate's intercession I still would not have that bag).

Every aspect of the cruise was perfect; the room, ports, staff, service, food, crew, tours, logistics,and entertainment.

Led by Kate and Artur (and the rest of the crew and staff) AMA created a warm, relaxed, upscale environment that made every passenger feel appreciated and special. And we will never forget New Years in Amsterdam.

We look forward to our next cruise with you (my wife already has her heart set on the Tulip Cruise) and sincerely appreciate all that you did on our behalf."

We were going to book the 2012 Tulip Cruise back on Ama, but our work schedules did not allow it. We had hoped to book another Christmas cruise on Ama, but many of the routes and cities were ones we had just visited (I know, my life is a living hell).

Frankly, we were skeptical about Viking, often reading on this site that it did not (favorably) compare with Ama and Uniworld, but our TA told us that was not the case, that we'd love Viking as much as Ama, and Viking had the itinerary we were looking for.

Of course, I can't speak to such things as the weather and water levels you'll find, nor how your personal tastes might compare to ours, but, like you, we are from Florida and enjoyed the cool, crisp weather, the wonder of the Christmas markets, and a spectacular cruise on the River.

We were scheduled to sail on the new Viking Njord on April 24 from Amsterdam. Instead, Viking sent us an e-mail on Friday, the 13th no less, 10 days before we were to depart the USA, saying our trip was cancelled as the Njord was still in the shipyard. We are four very un-happy campers!:mad:

I feel your pain Scott, we were booked on the Njord for April 5 and were cancelled, we rebooked for the May 3 date. Keeping our fingers crossed all along. As I write this the Njord is almost to Amstedam so hopefully we will be able to make our trip. As it looks we will be on the maiden voyage, totally from luck. Sorry your plans did not work and I still have my fingers crossed that we will be on that boat. It has not happened yet.

I feel your pain Scott, we were booked on the Njord for April 5 and were cancelled, we rebooked for the May 3 date. Keeping our fingers crossed all along. As I write this the Njord is almost to Amstedam so hopefully we will be able to make our trip. As it looks we will be on the maiden voyage, totally from luck. Sorry your plans did not work and I still have my fingers crossed that we will be on that boat. It has not happened yet.

The Njord is in Arnhem today, so I think it might be safe to start packing! I, too, really feel for all of you whose itineraries were cancelled. Hope you all rescheduled and had a wonderful time. Our May 3rd cruise will have at least some passengers from an earlier reservation. Still hoping it will stop raining and start warming up there!

The Njord arrived in Arnham sometime during the night. It is still doing wheelies. Go figure. They have to stop sometime so they can stock the boat. I am sure looking forward to the cookies, better save some for me. I packed my suitcase yesterday so if this does not happen afterall I will be really deflated. We need to get away, its now or never. Ok FB friends lets keep our fingers crossed. We are getting closer but until I am on that plane.........Can't wait to meet everyone, feel like I akready know you. See you soon!

The Njord arrived in Arnham sometime during the night. It is still doing wheelies. Go figure. They have to stop sometime so they can stock the boat. I am sure looking forward to the cookies, better save some for me. I packed my suitcase yesterday so if this does not happen afterall I will be really deflated. We need to get away, its now or never. Ok FB friends lets keep our fingers crossed. We are getting closer but until I am on that plane.........Can't wait to meet everyone, feel like I akready know you. See you soon!

Did you see my roll call suggestion on where to try to meet. Becki described where the light lunch will be and I thought maybe we could try to meet at one of the first tables in the lounge away from the buffet around 10:30 or 10:45 if we haven't met at the airport or in the lounge earlier - I assume we wear our nametags - certainly at the airport for the Viking rep to identify us. I think I have my "outfits" planned now - guess I should do a trial packing.

I am sure we will be there, I never turned down food. And I had a thought yeasterday since they should have the boat ready and there were no previous passengers we might be able to get into our cabins earlier. That would be nice and not have to hang out all day.

I am sure we will be there, I never turned down food. And I had a thought yeasterday since they should have the boat ready and there were no previous passengers we might be able to get into our cabins earlier. That would be nice and not have to hang out all day.

I'm hoping the same thing!

Viking Njord is in Arnhem where, according to Viking, they are doing some finishing work. Good luck to those of you who sail on her next week. We look forward to hearing about your experiences on the Njord!

Thanks for the update - wondered why she was still there. Here's hoping our experiences are all good!

It's great to hear that some more of you will be finally sailing. The weather should be improving and you'll enjoy. Be sure to report any cabin problems right away and keep after them till they are fixed. If you've followed any of us on recent trips that have commented on the roll call for viking Njord Tulips and Windmills 5/3/12 you will see that new ships can have problems and Viking isn't always very responsive about fixing them. Our cabin reports and problems were ignored and brushed off and it seems you have to really be a squeaky wheel before they pay attention. Good luck and have fun on your adventure.

It's great to hear that some more of you will be finally sailing. The weather should be improving and you'll enjoy. Be sure to report any cabin problems right away and keep after them till they are fixed. If you've followed any of us on recent trips that have commented on the roll call for viking Njord Tulips and Windmills 5/3/12 you will see that new ships can have problems and Viking isn't always very responsive about fixing them. Our cabin reports and problems were ignored and brushed off and it seems you have to really be a squeaky wheel before they pay attention. Good luck and have fun on your adventure.

When river crusies are so expensive compared to regular cruises. Hope they change their attitude fast! Thanks for posting!

For those of you on the Freya this weekend...she is on the move from Arnhem to Amsterdam as of earlier today! Have fun!

I'm in Amsterdam looking down on the VIking Freya. Came in sometime last night. I'm on the Idun leaving tomorrow night. Ship looks beautiful from here.

I'm in Amsterdam looking down on the VIking Freya. Came in sometime last night. I'm on the Idun leaving tomorrow night. Ship looks beautiful from here.

Mike and Martha,

Excited to hear you are leaving on the Idun. My husband and I are leaving on the Idun on May 12, would love to hear your report...:)

Have a wonderful trip! Maybe once the Idun sets sail the Njord will make its way to Amsterdam! Looking forward to your posts.

We were scheduled to sail on the new Viking Njord on April 24 from Amsterdam. Instead, Viking sent us an e-mail on Friday, the 13th no less, 10 days before we were to depart the USA, saying our trip was cancelled as the Njord was still in the shipyard. We are four very un-happy campers!:mad:

Dear scott7781,

Please accept our apologies again for the disappointment that came with the cancelation of your cruise. The continued shipyard delay was unexpected and we did alert our guests as quickly as possible, but we of course understand that there is little consolation in that when it is your vacation that is affected. We would be happy to talk to you further about your concerns, and look at other sailing options. You can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

Dear scott7781,

Please accept our apologies again for the disappointment that came with the cancelation of your cruise. The continued shipyard delay was unexpected and we did alert our guests as quickly as possible, but we of course understand that there is little consolation in that when it is your vacation that is affected. We would be happy to talk to you further about your concerns, and look at other sailing options. You can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

My wife and I are booked on a Viking Cruise on one of the other new ships later in the year - the Aegir. I took advantage of your offer to write to the above email address to seek answers to some questions.

It has been almost a week now - no response from Viking.

This is our first booking with Viking. I hope this is not indicative of the future.

Have you tried calling them? Are any of your questions of a general nature and could be answered on this board?

I contacted Viking in Australia - they told me to contact the agent who booked the cruise. The problem is, only Viking can answer the question.

We are booked on the Viking Aegir from Basel to Amsterdam departing 9 December. We have our Passenger Information Form completed through their web site which refers to the above ship / date.

The problem was - when i checked their web site itineraries, that sailing was not shown.

UPDATE

Just rang Viking. Spoke to a very helpful gentleman in the USA.

He confimed our booking on that ship, that date and gave me the same cabin numbers we already have. It seems that the http://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au site (which is the default one we are directed to here) does not show precisely the same list of sailing as at http://www.vikingrivercruises.com does.

Problem solved.

Interesting.

We booked through a USA web site/agent and that explains the difference.

Thank you Viking. My bad....

I just thought I would like to say - directly here - a thank you to Viking.

I was wrong (see above) and Viking was actually extremely helpful in their direct feedback and contact.

Dear nstarrenburg,

We’re happy to have been able to help clarify any misunderstandings. Here’s hoping that December comes quickly, as we’re truly looking forward to seeing you aboard Viking Aegir!

Until then, if you have any other questions or concerns, you know you can always call us or email us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com. We’ll always be happy to hear from you!

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

• 4 weeks later...

We just finished the Romatic Danube on the Odin last Saturday. It was a perfect trip and I have nothing but praise for Viking. Karl, our chef, was magnificent....best food we have ever had on a cruise (we have done Princess and Celebrity in the past), Colin was a wonderful director and everyone else on the staff was superb. Hated to say good bye to our waiters and our room steward and the darling young women that were there to help us on our excursions. It was a great experience. This was our first river cruise so I have nothing to compare it to BUT it certainly met and exceeded our expectations!

We just finished the Romatic Danube on the Odin last Saturday. It was a perfect trip and I have nothing but praise for Viking. Karl, our chef, was magnificent....best food we have ever had on a cruise (we have done Princess and Celebrity in the past), Colin was a wonderful director and everyone else on the staff was superb. Hated to say good bye to our waiters and our room steward and the darling young women that were there to help us on our excursions. It was a great experience. This was our first river cruise so I have nothing to compare it to BUT it certainly met and exceeded our expectations!

We are booked for next year so it was wonderful to hear from you.

Did you take Viking air or book your own? If Viking; from where and were the conections good?

Also can you informed me how they handle the gratuities/tips. I understand with AWA they are included but I didn't think so with VIking.

Thanks

Archived