Any word on the new Viking Longboats?

Spudee

I thought this was worthy of sharing:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/

Thank You! I was just coming on here to post that!

There's four posts full of photos of the new Viking Odin and the christening ceremonies on my site. I was very impressed by these new ships; their design is incredible and the views are breathtaking!

Here's the links to my Live Trip Report:

Part 1:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/20/viking-longships-live-trip-report-a-viking-prelude/

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/20/viking-longships-live-trip-report-day-1/

Part 2:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/21/viking-longships-live-trip-report-day-2/

Part 3:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/22/viking-longships-live-trip-report-recap/

Part 4:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/23/cruise-photos-of-the-week-viking-longships/

My only worry now is the size of the French balcony rooms. I can't believe they are actually smaller than our cruise out of Paris. That window had better be worth it.

I was in French Balcony room 224, and while they are small, their design is rather clever and feels larger than it is. I did miss a proper indoor seating area, though, but the window is nice indeed.

Thank You! I was just coming on here to post that!

There's four posts full of photos of the new Viking Odin and the christening ceremonies on my site. I was very impressed by these new ships; their design is incredible and the views are breathtaking!

Here's the links to my Live Trip Report:

Part 1:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/20/viking-longships-live-trip-report-a-viking-prelude/

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/20/viking-longships-live-trip-report-day-1/

Part 2:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/21/viking-longships-live-trip-report-day-2/

Part 3:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/22/viking-longships-live-trip-report-recap/

Part 4:

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/23/cruise-photos-of-the-week-viking-longships/

I'm so glad that you were on her because we would still be waiting for some decent photos from Viking (I can't believe they missed the opportunity to post photos on their site of the kind of things you did) We all have been waiting to see "real" shots of the public areas and cabins and are thankful that you were there to satisfy that desire!

I'm so glad that you were on her because we would still be waiting for some decent photos from Viking (I can't believe they missed the opportunity to post photos on their site of the kind of things you did) We all have been waiting to see "real" shots of the public areas and cabins and are thankful that you were there to satisfy that desire!

Believe me, I'm glad I was there too! But that was one real reason I shot so many photos while onboard; I actually took over 300 shots of her interiors, if you can believe it.

What struck me was how close to the rendering her interiors actually are. Even the scale was pretty much spot-on.

WOW!!! And the photos are almost exactly the same as the artist's impressions which Viking has been displaying. But, as someone else has said, why hasn't Viking got on-board and posted some shots on their site?

We are booked on the Idun for 13 October this year and are really looking forward to enjoying one of these beautiful new boats. Thanks for posting such great shots.

Believe me, I'm glad I was there too! But that was one real reason I shot so many photos while onboard; I actually took over 300 shots of her interiors, if you can believe it.

What struck me was how close to the rendering her interiors actually are. Even the scale was pretty much spot-on.

Will you be posting anymore of those interior shots? I'd like to see a bit more of the public areas and of course am real curious to see what it looks like in the suite area (if you were able to get a peek at the upper deck) and of course the sun deck with its herb garden and solar panels have caught my interest.

Anyway thanks for joining the conversation and adding those photo links!

Will you be posting anymore of those interior shots? I'd like to see a bit more of the public areas and of course am real curious to see what it looks like in the suite area (if you were able to get a peek at the upper deck) and of course the sun deck with its herb garden and solar panels have caught my interest.

Anyway thanks for joining the conversation and adding those photo links!

I'll be posting a Ship Photo Tour in the next few weeks that will have more images, so stay tuned for that! As for the other staterooms, the ship was fully occupied during the christening so I wasn't able to peek into the other rooms. I did get to see a full balcony stateroom, and it was noticeably larger than my French Balcony stateroom (which I still enjoyed, though.)

Here's the fun part about the upper deck: never did get to check out the solar panels or the herb garden. In fact, there were so many red and white balloons strapped to the railings, it made photographing the upper deck quite tricky!

I'll be posting a Ship Photo Tour in the next few weeks that will have more images, so stay tuned for that! As for the other staterooms, the ship was fully occupied during the christening so I wasn't able to peek into the other rooms. I did get to see a full balcony stateroom, and it was noticeably larger than my French Balcony stateroom (which I still enjoyed, though.)

Here's the fun part about the upper deck: never did get to check out the solar panels or the herb garden. In fact, there were so many red and white balloons strapped to the railings, it made photographing the upper deck quite tricky!

Thanks! We will be looking forward to your future postings!

We are on night two of our cruise on the Idun. The ship is beautiful and all the public areas are comfortable and nice with many nice details. So far we haven't met anyone who is happy with their French balcony room including us. There is no where to sit except on the bed (don't count the little box seat that there is no where to put) and it's miserable to try to use the laptop from here. Storage is pretty good (closet isn't deep enough for hangers to hang straight but it's wide enough). One person has to sit out of the way on the bed while the other unpacks or uses drawers or closet. The countertop on the wall across from the foot of the bed runs the width of the bed only and is very shallow. It's a good place for water, pocket items, etc. There are several 110 outlets which is a plus. The crew is friendly and helpful. The meals are good but even the women are complaining of the portion size (much smaller than our last Viking cruise). The main tonight included a choice of scallops. There were two! My salmon (one of the three alternate choices always available was a normal portion and very good. Everyone else at the table was envious. Love the trip but won't stay in a "closet" again. We do like the little tables and the chairs available in the French balcony rooms in ships (4-5) docked next to us.

P.S. The bedside "tables" hold some keenex and have a pull out shelf that adds nothing (a little drawer would be nice so glasses can't be brushed off the "table" by bedding. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow when I can figure out how.

I was on the Odin on saturday for a tour, made a few pictures: http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/viking-odin

My impression: The ship is beautiful, has a very nice interior. The 'room feeling' in the lounge on the upper floor is quite like on the Prestige and Legend. As I was preparing for a tour, I just took a few quick photos of the upper floor, the lounge and bar, the coffee machine (it has two), the elevator.

When I asked guests during the tour, they said the dining room was quite noisy as the ceiling reflects noise. Would be interesting if anyone can confirm this.

We are on night two of our cruise on the Idun. The ship is beautiful and all the public areas are comfortable and nice with many nice details. So far we haven't met anyone who is happy with their French balcony room including us. There is no where to sit except on the bed (don't count the little box seat that there is no where to put) and it's miserable to try to use the laptop from here. Storage is pretty good (closet isn't deep enough for hangers to hang straight but it's wide enough). One person has to sit out of the way on the bed while the other unpacks or uses drawers or closet. The countertop on the wall across from the foot of the bed runs the width of the bed only and is very shallow. It's a good place for water, pocket items, etc. There are several 110 outlets which is a plus. The crew is friendly and helpful. The meals are good but even the women are complaining of the portion size (much smaller than our last Viking cruise). The main tonight included a choice of scallops. There were two! My salmon (one of the three alternate choices always available was a normal portion and very good. Everyone else at the table was envious. Love the trip but won't stay in a "closet" again. We do like the little tables and the chairs available in the French balcony rooms in ships (4-5) docked next to us.

P.S. The bedside "tables" hold some keenex and have a pull out shelf that adds nothing (a little drawer would be nice so glasses can't be brushed off the "table" by bedding. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow when I can figure out how.

Dear Riversanddale,

We’re happy to hear that you have found Viking Idun to be a beautiful ship with a friendly and helpful staff. As one of the first guests to sail aboard our new Viking Longships, your comments and feedback on all aspects of the ship and cruise experience are invaluable to us. We encourage you to speak to the Hotel Manager about any of your concerns, including the portion size of the meals. (If you feel the portions continue to seem a bit on the small side, remember that you can always order as many dishes as you’d like! We want you to sample anything and everything that sounds tempting.)

Please also email us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com so that we may hear more of your feedback and address your concerns directly. We sincerely hope to speak with you at your earliest convenience, whether it’s while you are still on board or after you’ve returned home.

We wish you a wonderful trip and hope that you are enjoying the ‘Tulips & Windmills’ in the spring.

Kindest regards,

Viking River Cruises

The crew and guides ensure that the trip is wonderful. We are enjoying the town walks and the optional visits to Delft and the battlefields and to north Holland. The guide at Broekerveiling (he was humorous and informative and made explanations seem so understandable) and the ladies in period costume were delightful! Getting further glimpses into traditional businesses like Delftware and the houses and areas we pass on the buses really expands what can be seen and done on the river and they are well worth taking.

I find it hard to use my laptop in our cabin for two reasons: 1) we are nearer the end of the hallway away from the reception/dining/lounge so we seem to get a weaker signal than elsewhere on the ship and 2) the only place to use it in the room is holding it on my lap while lying on the bed which disturbs my husband next to me and isn't comfortable for me for too long. There is a very convenient plug next to each side of the bed (110) so that is good. There is a bench under the counter across from the bed (with another 110 outlet) but the counter is narrowest at that end to allow more drawer room at the end away from the sliding window/door. It makes the counter narrow for the laptop and it is too high to be comfortable. Also the little bench blocks access to that side of the bed and the door/window and has no back so it is not comfortable seating. It looks great and gives a place to put the decorative bedcover and pillows but not really to sit on or make use of. The drawers (4) do have good space and work nicely.

Up a floor on the lounge level there is a little internet desk (also too high to type comfortably) but it has two stations and each has a chair. My signal strength there is usually excellent or very good rather than the low that registers in my cabin. We do lose connections sometimes while traveling and, it seems, later at night. All in all, we make do but I find I need to go outside the room to use the laptop rather than doing my photo downloading and e-mail in the room in the evening which I find is my preference. I see a lot of folks using the seating outside the lounge for using their laptops, I-pads, etc. but not always comfortably. It can be done.

After the first couple of nights this has seemed to have rectified itself and was probably a function of newness of the service and our expectations. Some portions were larger than others the first night or two and the fellows did get small portions of some entrees but that doesn't seem to be a problem now. Idun is listening and they are learning -- so are we as passengers. The food is good and very nicely presented. The servers are learning and very willing and responsive. Thank you!

Archived