Any word on the new Viking Longboats?

Spudee

Riversanddale

Do you know the number of amps that the 110 outlets provide, ie, were you able to charge/use a us hair dryer, curling iron, cell phone.

Great ship review. We will be sailing in the fall.

Thank you, Sunrocket

I find it hard to use my laptop in our cabin for two reasons: 1) we are nearer the end of the hallway away from the reception/dining/lounge so we seem to get a weaker signal than elsewhere on the ship and 2) the only place to use it in the room is holding it on my lap while lying on the bed which disturbs my husband next to me and isn't comfortable for me for too long. There is a very convenient plug next to each side of the bed (110) so that is good. There is a bench under the counter across from the bed (with another 110 outlet) but the counter is narrowest at that end to allow more drawer room at the end away from the sliding window/door. It makes the counter narrow for the laptop and it is too high to be comfortable. Also the little bench blocks access to that side of the bed and the door/window and has no back so it is not comfortable seating. It looks great and gives a place to put the decorative bedcover and pillows but not really to sit on or make use of. The drawers (4) do have good space and work nicely.

Up a floor on the lounge level there is a little internet desk (also too high to type comfortably) but it has two stations and each has a chair. My signal strength there is usually excellent or very good rather than the low that registers in my cabin. We do lose connections sometimes while traveling and, it seems, later at night. All in all, we make do but I find I need to go outside the room to use the laptop rather than doing my photo downloading and e-mail in the room in the evening which I find is my preference. I see a lot of folks using the seating outside the lounge for using their laptops, I-pads, etc. but not always comfortably. It can be done.

Our trip was too early. We sailed April 1. The tulips were not really blooming (just small batches) and the weather was cold and windy and damp and COLD. The trees are just beginning to get leaves. We were told by locals in several places that we were hitting normal weather and blooming times. We would say at least another two weeks before good blooms.

The cabins on Viking Idun have 4 (four) 110 outlets. I don't know the amps. There is one next to each side of the bed and one at each end of the long counter under the mirrow and tv wall. I put one camera charger in each of 3 and plugged the laptop into the 4th. They had a hairdryer in the cabin so I didn't take my own but it was a mute point since our shower had problems. The post about the closet design is accurate - another few inches would have been so helpful so that hangers could really hang. There are 4 drawers -- not deep but helpful. You can't go by the end of the bed if any of the drawers are open.

Thanks; love hearing as much as you want to share about Idun.

So if I understand correct; our electirc things (wattage from US and Canada) will be fine on the ship. NO need for an adaptor?

Thanks; love hearing as much as you want to share about Idun.

So if I understand correct; our electirc things (wattage from US and Canada) will be fine on the ship. NO need for an adaptor?

Interested in your answer to this too, would eliminate my bag of a converter and plug adapters. I want to keep my tablet charged, but have probably the last camera ever manufactured that takes batteries, and I'm glad to have it. Nothing else to charge except maybe my phone for when I arrive back in the States.

Also curious whether you noticed any dressing up for either the welcome or farewell dinners?

You will need the adaptors even if your appliance has dual voltage. You will need the adaptor to make it possible to insert our two-prong plug into a European three-prong outlet.

As for river cruise dinners, none are considered formal. Ladies usually wear black pants with nice tops, men wear slacks and button-downs or sweaters and sometimes sport coats.

You will need the adaptors even if your appliance has dual voltage. You will need the adaptor to make it possible to insert our two-prong plug into a European three-prong outlet.

Just read this on a review of the new longships of Viking that started sailing last week.

Among amenities in cabins we first noted both 220 and 110 outlets for American and European appliances to be plugged in. That’s significant for those who have never traveled from the United States to Europe as they do power a bit differently here. We found that out the hard way last year when staying a Venice hotel the night before the cruise. Nothing plugged in and finding adaptors at the last minute proved challenging.

Here, we have both outlets and plenty of them. All outlets have both 220 and 110 so passengers who bring along converters actually end up with eight possible outlets to plug electronic devices into.

So do I still need an adaptor?

Thanks

As for river cruise dinners, none are considered formal. Ladies usually wear black pants with nice tops, men wear slacks and button-downs or sweaters and sometimes sport coats.

The new Viking ships have multiple voltage outlets. Along the countertop across from the bed there are two 110 outlets and two European outlets, one each at each end of the countertop. There is also a 110 outlet above the one nightstand next to the bed. So, no need for adapters or transformers. I had a kit that has both and never took it out of the suitcase. We charged my Nook tablet, phone, and camera batteries daily w/o an issue. Now, if you are staying at a hotel b/f or after the cruise, you may want to confirm with the hotel what their voltage/adapter requirements are, because when my husband stays at hotels in the Netherlands, he does need to take adapter plugs for his shaver.

As for dress, my husband did wish to take a suitcoat for the welcome and farewell dinners, but no tie. I did wear black dress pants and a lacy stretch top (very packable!) both nights. Some passengers also dressed accordingly, others dressed very casually. It's all in what you're comfortable with.

Becki

I guess it is hard to predict. When we chose May 3rd we were hoping for warmer weather and as it turned out all the earlier sailings on the Njord were cancelled! Hoping the tulips will still be blooming in Keukenhof Gardens - we visit there on May 9th.

We visited Keukenhof on the 18th. It was glorious! So many tulips and such a riot of color! But, there were also still many that had not yet bloomed, as it was still cold there, so hopefully you will still have a very enjoyable visit.

Becki

How casual is casual? Were people in dress jeans for dinner? How about during the day were people in jeans?

We are going in mid October with extension to Prague early Nov what type of coat/outerwear do you suggest?

Thanks for your help

The new Viking ships have multiple voltage outlets. Along the countertop across from the bed there are two 110 outlets and two European outlets, one each at each end of the countertop. There is also a 110 outlet above the one nightstand next to the bed. So, no need for adapters or transformers. I had a kit that has both and never took it out of the suitcase. We charged my Nook tablet, phone, and camera batteries daily w/o an issue. Now, if you are staying at a hotel b/f or after the cruise, you may want to confirm with the hotel what their voltage/adapter requirements are, because when my husband stays at hotels in the Netherlands, he does need to take adapter plugs for his shaver.

As for dress, my husband did wish to take a suitcoat for the welcome and farewell dinners, but no tie. I did wear black dress pants and a lacy stretch top (very packable!) both nights. Some passengers also dressed accordingly, others dressed very casually. It's all in what you're comfortable with.

Becki

How casual is casual? Were people in dress jeans for dinner? How about during the day were people in jeans?

We are going in mid October with extension to Prague early Nov what type of coat/outerwear do you suggest?

Thanks for your help

Yes, there were many people in dress jeans. A lot of people did not wear "blue" jeans, as they thought they were not warm. Not having been to Prague, I can't advise you about their weather, but I can tell you that we wore layers every day. I wore a long-sleeved t-shirt-type top or blouse and over it wore either a sweatshirt material jacket or hoodie. Over that I wore a hip-length microfiber jacket with a hood. I also wore a warm hat most days and often pulled the hood of my jacket over that. I had gloves that had a mitten top that folded back to make them fingerless for taking photos, which was very handy. My husband had the same type of gloves. He also wore a hat each day. He wore a long-sleeved button down oxford-type shirt, jeans/cargo pants, and a thermal-type t-shirt over his shirt. He had a jacket with a hood, but our last few days he supplemented that with a windbreaker jacket over that to add an extra layer due to windy, cold conditions. For shoes, we both wore a high-top type of sneaker, almost a hiking boot, to give us stability on the uneven cobblestones.

Hope this helps.

With less than 2 weeks out, I am keeping my fingers crossed Viking comes through with the Njord in time for the May 3rd cruise and that the boat and crew are truely ready. As we were rebooked on May 3rd from our original cruise in late March, and have used all the favors we can in taking time from jobs, etc., we are getting mighty nervous. This is our first cruise experience and so far, it has not been as relaxing as we had hoped!

On the positive, the information on these boards is amazing. Thanks so much for all the postings.

With less than 2 weeks out, I am keeping my fingers crossed Viking comes through with the Njord in time for the May 3rd cruise and that the boat and crew are truely ready. As we were rebooked on May 3rd from our original cruise in late March, and have used all the favors we can in taking time from jobs, etc., we are getting mighty nervous. This is our first cruise experience and so far, it has not been as relaxing as we had hoped!

On the positive, the information on these boards is amazing. Thanks so much for all the postings.

Did Viking do anything to compensate you for your problems.

Wishing you all the best on May 3 cruise.

Looking very encouraging - she is on the move in the Baltic - hopefully heading for Amsterdam! I'll keep a close eye on her and look forward to meeting you on May 3.

Viking compensated us for any additional costs in our rebooking our airfare, traded cruises evenly and threw in a free beverage package, plus a 25% credit on what we paid to apply to a future Viking cruise. Is that pretty standard?

Look forward to meeting you all.

NIce they picked up the charges for rebookign your air; laughed when I read about the 25% off NEXT cruise. It should have been THIS cruise.Also does it state it's 25% off the going sale price or the brochure price? Free beverage package wouldn't mean anything to some as everyone doesn't drink. I've had much better offers when large ocean cruise lines had to reschedule. Don't think the offer was great from Viking. It certainly woudln't have impressed me. Enjoy your cruise and will look forward to hearing how it was when you return.

The Njord is on the move chugging down a canal. Not sure which one but at least it is headed toward Amsterdam. I finally took my travel bags upstairs to start packing. Amen! Amen!. My prayers have been answered (I hope) At least at this point it is mor promising than it has been for some time. I think it really will happen this time. The maiden voyage of the Viking Njord is on May3. YEAH!

Last year we took a Christmas Cruise on the Amalegro from Prague/Nuremberg to Amsterdam. We spent Christmas on the Rhine and New Years in Amsterdam for one of the great trips of our lives.

We had talked about another cruise sometime next year, but upon reflection had such a great time on the river during the Holidays we just booked another Christmas Cruise, this time on the Danube (Munich/Passau to Budapest) on the Viking Njord.

That's a long introduction to say that we'd love to hear reviews from anyone sailing on that ship and/or that itinerary.

And I echo many of the positive comments about this Forum.

Everyone manages to stay positive, informative, and civil (dare I say charming) and avoids some of the sarcasm and acrimony I found on the Ocean Cruise sites (I'm just saying...).

Much thanks.

The Njord left the shipyard this morning and is enroute to Amsterdam as I write this. May3 will be the maiden voyage and several of us will be posting at some point just keep checking back. Wish us luck for our long awaited trip that we were anticipating to not happen. The shipyeard was way behind schedule and several of the cruises on the Njord and Freya were canceled. We did not plan on being on the maiden voyage, it just happened.

Our trusted TA is gently promoting AMA Waterways over all the other companies. We like the look of the new longboats...especially the interior spaces. We know it will be very COLD in late December, so we feel we will need a particularly nice lounge. I'm a bit concerned about the noise levels several posters have mentioned.

Have others sailed at Christmas time? Fun? Too many markets? A bit boring? Too cold? Rainy? A nice mix of passengers in terms of ages and nationalities? How about children? We are planning to go before the actual Christmas trip.

Would those of you who have sailed both on other boats during Christmas market season, and also on the new Viking Longboats have advice for us? We are longtime Silversea ocean cruisers, so we do like a high quality product. We are also very flexible...if I weren't so hippy, I'd wear jeans night and day!

Thanks for ANY and all feedback. We really appreciate advice from people who have first hand experience!

Archived