IAH to Galveston transportation with kids

c-cruise

Doing some early planning for a cruise out of Galveston in Feb. 2013 on the Disney Magic. Veteran cruisers, but first time departing from Galveston and first time on Disney. I know Disney hasn't started sailing from Galveston yet so understand answers may be speculative, but here goes.

We are flying into IAH on Thursday afternoon for a Friday departure. We have two small kids and would love to be able to leave the car/booster seats at home for this trip. Cruise line transfers would be ideal since they would be on a bus thus requiring no booster seats, but they will only run on departure day I would think.

Would we be better off to stay overnight near IAH and then return to the airport the next day to catch the cruise line transfer or is there another option for transportation (without car seats) the day before the cruise. I would prefer to stay overnight in Galveston so we can get on the ship as early as possible.

Cruise returns on a Saturday and we will fly out that afternoon / evening so cruise line transfer will be easy for that leg.

We have traveled with car seats many times and can do it again if necessary, but if I could leave them behind that would be preferable. Thanks for any advice!

Thanks I will inquire with them about the availability of car seats.

If we bring the car seats I supposed a one way rental is an option as well.

Any recommendation for where to stay w/ kids either in Galveston or near IAH?

Several of the recommended hotels I have read about on here show no availability for the date we need. Found out that the night we want to stay is a few days after Mardi Gras so that might have something to do with it. Or maybe they just don't take one night reservations.

Thanks for your help!

Several of the recommended hotels I have read about on here show no availability for the date we need. Found out that the night we want to stay is a few days after Mardi Gras so that might have something to do with it. Or maybe they just don't take one night reservations.

Thanks for your help!

That probably has *everything* to do with it. Mardi Gras celebrations run from 2/1 - 2/12 next year, and is a HUGE deal in Galveston. I would imagine if you're cruising around that time, hotels will require a minimum 2-night stay.

If that's the case, then probably staying near IAH and going back to catch the transfers would be your best option. I take it the transfers will be free? If not, you might look into just taking a limo service as (the always very very smart!) Galveston Cruiser suggested. :)

-gina-

Thanks for the compliment Gina:D

C-cruise: If your stay is after Mardi Gras, there will be rooms available for one night.

I have read that many book directly with the hotels with no problem. Don't give up, something will come through.

Also, you should check with your airline regarding car seats. DD had to take car seats for sons on a flight - required by the airline.

Ok, thanks for the Mardi Gras info. It's kind of a non-event up here in the Pacific NW so hadn't really consider the impact it would have on hotel availability. The night we would be staying is 2/14 (just realized it's Valentines day also).

Haven't see any info yet on Disney transfers and probably won't until they start their cruises from Galveston in Sept.

Was looking into one way rentals, but I couldn't find anybody who would let me book a one way to Galveston online. Guess I would need to call. From what I have read in other posts both Hertz and Enterprise have Galveston locations - anybody else?

Starting to think it would be easier to take the Disney Fantasy out of Port Canaveral since we are way more familiar with that area. Just liked the Galveston option on the Magic because it is a shorter flight, a day longer cruise, and less expensive.

Probably over thinking this. I should just book it, plan on taking the Disney transfers and worry about the details later.:D

My family and I are sailing out of Galveston in two weeks. We are also flying into IAH. We are renting a car, driving to Galveston and staying at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, which offers free parking for the week for cruisers. Since we are flying the day before our sailing, Carnival's transfers were not available to us.

My family and I are sailing out of Galveston in two weeks. We are also flying into IAH. We are renting a car, driving to Galveston and staying at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, which offers free parking for the week for cruisers. Since we are flying the day before our sailing, Carnival's transfers were not available to us.

Can I ask who you are renting from? None of the agencies I have checked will let me do a one way rental to Galveston (at least not online). Or are you doing a week rental and leaving the car at the hotel the whole time?

• 2 weeks later...
Can I ask who you are renting from? None of the agencies I have checked will let me do a one way rental to Galveston (at least not online). Or are you doing a week rental and leaving the car at the hotel the whole time?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. We are leaving the car at the hotel and driving back to IAH at the end of the cruise.

Not sure if you are a costco member but I just rented a car for the week through costco for 5 of us with taxes 213.00. Park car for 35.00 so in the long run it was cheaper for us to rent car than take shuttles etc. Hope that helps?

• 2 weeks later...

I used Cornerstone Elite Limo and for like 5 people it would be $165.00 for a spacious Suburban? It's definitely less pricey and you don't need to go over the hassle of driving and parking there, that is just a mess you don't wanna get into!! If you have the limo pick you up everything will go smoothly and you won't need to worry about a thing, just from personal experience... ;)

If you wanna contact them it's 713.880.1800 you can check them out at cornerstonel.com

Edited by fox0301

• 8 months later...

We are in Galveston now, and highly recommend the transfer we used. Texas Airport Car transportation. The owner is Dwayne Johnson 1-877-261-8822. He called my cell phone just as our plane landed and after we got our bags, it was less than 5 minutes and we were on the road. He was recommended by our hotel, the Hilton, and was the best transfer experience we have had. Competitive prices and highly professional. A nice start to our vacation. http://www.texasairportcar.com

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We are in Galveston now, and highly recommend the transfer we used. Texas Airport Car transportation. The owner is Dwayne Johnson 1-877-261-8822. He called my cell phone just as our plane landed and after we got our bags, it was less than 5 minutes and we were on the road. He was recommended by our hotel, the Hilton, and was the best transfer experience we have had. Competitive prices and highly professional. A nice start to our vacation. http://www.texasairportcar.com

I used Cornerstone Elite Limo and for like 5 people it would be $165.00 for a spacious Suburban? It's definitely less pricey and you don't need to go over the hassle of driving and parking there, that is just a mess you don't wanna get into!! If you have the limo pick you up everything will go smoothly and you won't need to worry about a thing, just from personal experience... ;)

If you wanna contact them it's 713.880.1800 you can check them out at cornerstonel.com

See two good choices here. Was going to rent but then we have a late flight in the day before so plan on staying in Houston that night. Be a fun and surprising experience for my kids for a town car or limo. Any other recommendations?

• 1 year later...
You may want to check into Supper Shuttle. I know they run from Houston to Galveston. Then stay at a hotel that offers shuttle to the pier. The above suggestions are good also.

As an FYI to people searching this thread. I called Super Shuttle and asked about car seats. They will not take kids under 7 without one.