Shore Excursion-Falmouth

Terpsfan1

Has anyone done the "Walking Tour of Falmouth" offered by Celebrity? Was it worthwhile? Was there enough to see in Falmouth?

Thanks,

Carol:)

(On our own) we took the ferry to a small island with an armory/castle on it. Very interesting, good views, nice spot to grab refreshment. Quaint little village on the island.

Pendennis castle is nice with it's great view over to St Mawes castle. Great sausage sandwiches in the tea room there. I don't know what sort of excursions Celebrity offer, but if there is one to Tintagel, home of King Arthur, that is a great ruined castle. You could also walk along the coastal path, great scenery. Oh and don't forget a cornish cream tea.

Pendennis castle is nice with it's great view over to St Mawes castle. Great sausage sandwiches in the tea room there. I don't know what sort of excursions Celebrity offer, but if there is one to Tintagel, home of King Arthur, that is a great ruined castle. You could also walk along the coastal path, great scenery. Oh and don't forget a cornish cream tea.

This was in Falmouth, Jamaica?:confused:

Carol, we didn't do the walking tour but the beach and lunch break. Our excursion started with a 20 minute tour of the city by bus and based on that I wouldn't suggest the walking tour. Unless we missed a lot, there wasn't much to see.

Hopefully, someone who did the walk can be more helpful.

Although we did not do the walking tour with Celebrity, dh and I walked throughout the town and did not see anything worth doing a "tour" of.

The town looks like RCL scrubbed and washed it clean when the built the pier and terminal, but it still is a pretty unattractive place to walk around in.

By the way there is also a mini-tram that you can catch just inside the port shopping area that will give you a ride through town for an overview.

JMO, I wouldn't pay for a tour of Falmouth.

If you are considering beach time or any of the other attractions offered by the ship, you will find taxi shuttles inside the port shopping area that will take you to all major points. For example, a shuttle to and from Montego Bay to the beach clubs, etc is $20 pp roundtrip.

Although we did not do the walking tour with Celebrity, dh and I walked throughout the town and did not see anything worth doing a "tour" of.

The town looks like RCL scrubbed and washed it clean when the built the pier and terminal, but it still is a pretty unattractive place to walk around in.

By the way there is also a mini-tram that you can catch just inside the port shopping area that will give you a ride through town for an overview.

JMO, I wouldn't pay for a tour of Falmouth.

If you are considering beach time or any of the other attractions offered by the ship, you will find taxi shuttles inside the port shopping area that will take you to all major points. For example, a shuttle to and from Montego Bay to the beach clubs, etc is $20 pp roundtrip.

Thanks for the information! I think we will change our tour to something outside of the twon and then take the mini-tram to see the town. Is the tram something sponsored by the cruise lines or a private company?

Thanks,

Carol

If I remember correctly the tram was $15 per person for a 90 minute tour of the town. We didn't take the tour so I'm not sure of the details. We did walk into town and as other have said there doesn't appear to be much there but we talked to some who took the tour and liked the historical aspects the knowledgeable guide provided. We always get more out of tour with a guide than just wondering around looking at the buildings. This brings me to mention the tour we took. The Good Hope plantation at your leisure is $25 thru Celebrity. The tour provided roundtrip transportation and admission to the plantation for that price. When we arrived we took the shuttle bus(Free)to the house (on top of a hill) with another group. The guide said we could join them for the tour if we wanted instead of just wondering around on our own. This turned out to be the best deal ever. After the house tour the others went on a horse and buggy tour of the rest of the plantation and we were driven down the hill to the water mill and continued the rest of the tour on our own. At this point the knowledgeable guide had already told us about the plantation and we just wanted to see what she had been talking about(slave hospital, school, pottery shed, etc.) When you're done with your tour a bus is waiting to take you back to the ship, but you do have to wait for it to fill. It could be 5 minutes or 45 minutes just a chance you take. They do have a bar, restaurant and gift shop available to pass the time. If you're looking to do a beach we did the chukka beach break thru RCCL. 4 adults and 2 young kids. Worked well for all of us. An extensive review of this excursion is posted on the Jamaica board.

If I remember correctly the tram was $15 per person for a 90 minute tour of the town. We didn't take the tour so I'm not sure of the details. We did walk into town and as other have said there doesn't appear to be much there but we talked to some who took the tour and liked the historical aspects the knowledgeable guide provided. We always get more out of tour with a guide than just wondering around looking at the buildings. This brings me to mention the tour we took. The Good Hope plantation at your leisure is $25 thru Celebrity. The tour provided roundtrip transportation and admission to the plantation for that price. When we arrived we took the shuttle bus(Free)to the house (on top of a hill) with another group. The guide said we could join them for the tour if we wanted instead of just wondering around on our own. This turned out to be the best deal ever. After the house tour the others went on a horse and buggy tour of the rest of the plantation and we were driven down the hill to the water mill and continued the rest of the tour on our own. At this point the knowledgeable guide had already told us about the plantation and we just wanted to see what she had been talking about(slave hospital, school, pottery shed, etc.) When you're done with your tour a bus is waiting to take you back to the ship, but you do have to wait for it to fill. It could be 5 minutes or 45 minutes just a chance you take. They do have a bar, restaurant and gift shop available to pass the time. If you're looking to do a beach we did the chukka beach break thru RCCL. 4 adults and 2 young kids. Worked well for all of us. An extensive review of this excursion is posted on the Jamaica board.

Thanks for the information. Is there any kind of narration etc. when you are on the tram? Can you get off and on if you like?

Carol

Like I said we didn't take the tram tour (tram was like the trams used at Disney to transport you from the parking lots to the main entrance) but I was under the impression it was a narrated tour but I don't think it was hop on, hop off. The town is very small. You could walk it but in my opinion the tram would be more comfortable if it was warm and humid. I would think the walking tour would be more personal since you could easily ask questions and look closer at the buildings but like I said Falmouth is very small but it does have a history back to the 1700's. Maybe others will have some experience with the tram and respond. We booked our plantation tour that morning at the excursion desk thru Celebrity and the beach break the night before. Didn't seem like most tours sold out so I think you would be ok to book while on the ship. Also you can buy the $20 roundtrip shuttle ticket to Montego Bay right on the pier. No advance purchase required. We thought Falmouth was okay just not alot to do and see around the pier area, especially if you're looking to fill the whole day.

Archived