Cabin help for Infinity Aqua Class-Panama Canal

gargoyle999

Wanting some advice for cabin selection. I am hoping to book the Infinity from Ft Lauderdale to Chile if Celebrity offers it in Dec 2013 when they open up the schedule next month. I am trying to decide on cabin location. I would like to book Aqua class on deck 11.

If I can get one of the 'aft' cabins would that be better than either port or starboard side? I understand it looks out to the bar on the deck below but not sure if the impacts the traditional 'aft view' or not. There are not many of them anyway so even if I jump on it when right when booking opens I may not get one but thought I would ask.

Here's a recent post with information on Infinity aft cabins:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1590761

If it matter to you, smoking is allowed on the port side of Deck 10 at the Sunset Bar.

Thank you. I have seen that and understand there are some negatives to the true aft cabins, though some seem to love them. I am wondering though more specifically about viewing the Panama Canal transit. What is the best cabin location for that if I didn't want to be out on the public deck all day?

hello neighbor from MN!

We have booked a SV on the Century for our full transit of Panama canal in Dec 2012. This aft cabin was one of two left when I booked in Sept 2011!! They do go fast because those who love them ,really love them.:)

I plan to be on deck for alot of the time going through the canal, but it will take from 6am to 6pm.So like you I want to spend some time on my balcony during the day The view from the aft is more expansive than any balcony.

We had an aft balcony while cruising thru the canal and it was great.

In the am, we had breakfast as we went thru the first locks. For the second locks, we moved to the front of the ship to get that perspective, but it was sooooo crowded we did not last long. the TV shows the front of the ship going thru the locks, so that worked fine for us. We sat on our aft balcony, eating and drinking and listening to the 'speaker' via the TV that gave us the history of what we were seeing. It was a wonderful day.

Went thru the canal with Oceania a few years ago.

There are 2 "lanes" for ships to go thru the locks. We were told the ships are assigned their lane at the canal, so you can't pre-plan which side to be on for the canal. We were also told both lanes at peak times go in the same direction which was how it was when we went thru. Seemed all lanes (on both sides of the canal) were inbound into the canal in the early AM and outbound in the later afternoon. Were told overnight is one in each direction. So interesting to learn the complex operation of this man-made wonder!

In our case, once we were assigned a lane (right or left) we stayed in that lane thru all sets of locks all day.

An aft cabin is surely one of the best viewing points to watch the locks.

Enjoy!

Archived