Power Strip for Cabin Question

Socal404

That bathroom outlet is next to useless.

Whoever had the thought of putting it way at the top of the bathroom wasn't thinking.

We use it to plug in our Bathroom Disco Light... perfect!

(just kidding, of course...!)

We use it to plug in our Bathroom Disco Light... perfect!

(just kidding, of course...!)

That gave me an afterthought. It might serve as a place to plug a night light for those that bring one along.

On some ships, that bathroom outlet loses power when the bathroom light is off, so limited benefit perhaps only for shaver...

There is at least one other cabin outlet, but it is a 'Euro' type, so you would need an adapter and/or transformer to use it. It is primarily for your steward to plug in the vacuum cleaner....

Ok for home not cruise ships. they can over heat and cause a fire

I'm not sure where you got that from, but we used a power strip on the Carnival Miracle this past January and it caused no harm, did not over heat and did not cause a fire. We left our camera and Smart Phone batteries charging overnight and all was well.

For those of you who are disputing there is a "potential" safety issue with using non-HAL provided power strips, maybe it would be easier to ask why HAL would implement this policy - and offer to provide FREE power strips for your use?

Is it certainly not to raise revenue.

Common sense says that there is a POTENTIAL safety issue that HAL is trying to address.

There is no reason to flame others for trying to help... IMO.

Every year, thousands of fires result from surge protectors, power strips and electrical cords. They don't mention cruise ships specifically but if it can happen in a home or office it can happen on a ship..

http://www.ucop.edu/riskmgt/bsas/safetymeetings/jul06/powerstripsafety.pdf

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/fire_protection/policies_standards/guidelines/power_strips.shtml

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/10/12/deadly-lowell-fire-caused-by-power-strip/

I said they can cause a fire. But when I cruise I follow the ships rules.

Mary

Agree that extension cords & power strips which do not have internal circuit breakers can cause & have caused fires in homes & also on private boats... IMO it is a concern on cruise ships as well' date=' since HAL, would not ask you to get one from the front desk..[/size']

We were sailboaters & spent many months on our sailboat.. We are very aware of what a fire can do on a boat or a cruise ship..My DH also was a volunteer fireman on L.I....We have special power strips which have internal circuit breakers/surge protectors..We used it on our sailboat & also take it with us on our cruises..They can be purchased for under $15.00..

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-6-Outlet-Surge-Protector-Suppressor-6ft-Cord/510853.aspx

We don't leave home without it, as there have been reveral reports here on CC that some front desks has run out of power strips..We only use it when we are in the cabin & always unplug it when we leave the cabin.. Our Cabin Steward has always approved our Power strip..

Cheers....Betty

I'm not sure where you got that from, but we used a power strip on the Carnival Miracle this past January and it caused no harm, did not over heat and did not cause a fire. We left our camera and Smart Phone batteries charging overnight and all was well.

It can, and does happen. We were on the Zuiderdam a number of years a ago. There was a small electrical fie in a cabin caused by someones electrical equipment. It's always best to check with a crew member.

My experience may be one reason why HAL is now saying they want you to use theirs rather than one you might bring with you. I brought a bargain basement power strip with a surge protector on our 2007 Westerdam cruise. It blew the fuse in our cabin somehow - twice - as soon as we plugged it in. HAL was very nice about it and sent someone to fix it right away, both times, but after the second time, I put the power strip away, having learned my lesson.

I spoke to HAL's compliance dept. yesterday as I had not receive an answer to my special request that was sent in December. I requested distilled water, extension cord, surge protector and etc. I was told not to bring a surge protector as they sometimes interfere with the ships electrical system. I was told I could bring my own extension cord and that the distilled water would cost $4 a gallon. She never said that the ship would supply the surge protector. I guess I will bring mine but try to get one of the ships before using it.

An extension cord will not work for two cpaps, travel scooter, cameras, cell phone, and etc..

I spoke to HAL's compliance dept. yesterday as I had not receive an answer to my special request that was sent in December. I requested distilled water, extension cord, surge protector and etc. I was told not to bring a surge protector as they sometimes interfere with the ships electrical system. I was told I could bring my own extension cord and that the distilled water would cost $4 a gallon. She never said that the ship would supply the surge protector. I guess I will bring mine but try to get one of the ships before using it.

An extension cord will not work for two cpaps, travel scooter, cameras, cell phone, and etc..

Be careful using any surge protector or extension cord with the scooter. You could damage the converted. At least that is the warning on my Mom's scooter.

I received this reply to my inquiry on the HAL website.

Guests are allowed to bring their own power strips onboard. Each stateroom is equipped with 115-volt, 60-cycle alternating current.

This should resolve the question I originally asked here.

Guests are allowed to bring their own power strips onboard. Each stateroom is equipped with 115-volt, 60-cycle alternating current.

I don't remember the particulars, but I've heard that some ships only have 50 cycle current, which may or may not affect what's plugged in, other than an electric clock which will run slower....

Hmmmm...That's interesting..:confused:

Doesn't that answer contradict HAL's "Know Before You Go" instructions?

Looks like the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing...No wonder people get confused...;) LOL

In any event, enjoy your cruise..

Cheers....Betty

Archived