Power Strip for Cabin Question

Socal404

There's been a post here about HAL banning power strips in staterooms. I can't imagine it, and can't recall reading about it on the HAL site, and I'll be packing my power strip for my Zuiderdam cruise in three weeks. However some one did post it here.;)

There's been a post here about HAL banning power strips in staterooms. I can't imagine it, and can't recall reading about it on the HAL site, and I'll be packing my power strip for my Zuiderdam cruise in three weeks. However some one did post it here.;)

From Know Before You Go:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

From Know Before You Go:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

I also bring my own power strip and use it on every cruise! ;)

As noted above, 3 prong.

We just got off the Maasdam. Used our own power strip, but we only have it plugged in while we are in the cabin. We unplug it when we leave. We are able to charge devices over night, or while we are getting ready for evening activities. If we do need to recharge a battery in between, we plug it directly into the ship's outlet.

We always bring our own and never try to hide it and have not had a problem. I don't know how they expect you to do everything you need (phones, IPad, IPod, cameras, etc.) with the limited number of outlets they have.

I think HAL is concerned that the power strips people bring might not be safe... by limiting the use to their own strips, HAL can make certain assurances that their products are safe for the guests to use.

If you do bring your own, please be mindful of the dangers presented by unsafe power strips... then, charge away!

We always bring our own and never try to hide it and have not had a problem. I don't know how they expect you to do everything you need (phones, IPad, IPod, cameras, etc.) with the limited number of outlets they have.

I don;t recall how many outlets thee are on the other ships but the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam had 2 3-prong outlets at the desk. Two of us traveling with an iphone, and ipod nano, two digital cameras and a netbook on the last cruise had no need for more than two outlets at anytime. YMMV.

Camera batteries (separate charger) used one outlet and batteries were rotated as needed. Iphone and nano were usually charged overnight, or while we were at dinner or a show etc.

I don;t recall how many outlets thee are on the other ships but the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam had 2 3-prong outlets at the desk. Two of us traveling with an iphone, and ipod nano, two digital cameras and a netbook on the last cruise had no need for more than two outlets at anytime. YMMV.

Camera batteries (separate charger) used one outlet and batteries were rotated as needed. Iphone and nano were usually charged overnight, or while we were at dinner or a show etc.

If I remember, RuthC knows exactly how many outlets are in the cabins... If I remember, she even counted one above her head in the bathroom!:D

If I remember, RuthC knows exactly how many outlets are in the cabins... If I remember, she even counted one above her head in the bathroom!:D

I should have been clearer... I was talking about outlets at the desk. There usually is one in the bathroom too and it is not always easily accessible.

Why bring a power strip when the same thing can be acomplished with an extension cord? An extension cord is lighter and small and the common household cord turns a single plug into 4 oulets. What am I missing here? UL approved cords are have been used for years in homes and garages.

Please provide documented evidence related to your statement that power bars/strips can overheat and cause a fire on cruise ships! :rolleyes:

Every year, thousands of fires result from surge protectors, power strips and electrical cords. They don't mention cruise ships specifically but if it can happen in a home or office it can happen on a ship..

http://www.ucop.edu/riskmgt/bsas/safetymeetings/jul06/powerstripsafety.pdf

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/fire_protection/policies_standards/guidelines/power_strips.shtml

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/10/12/deadly-lowell-fire-caused-by-power-strip/

IMO...We bring an extension cord...not just any extension cord like the ones you use on your Christmas Trees and decorations, but ours is made of heavier gauge wire (14Gauge), and has 3-4 plug-ins on the end, and is rated for 15 amps. This data will be documented on the power cord/power strip itself as well as the amp rating.

I should have been clearer... I was talking about outlets at the desk. There usually is one in the bathroom too and it is not always easily accessible.

That bathroom outlet is next to useless.

Whoever had the thought of putting it way at the top of the bathroom wasn't thinking.

Archived