about to book, question about passports expiring/renewing & birth certificates

6 of us

My kids' passports expire in June.. I read on the boards a few years ago (I think) that if you get the passport renewed BEFORE it expires then it is cheaper & easier. Kind of like having a DL renewed. Can you do this online?

Would rather ask all of you than the USPS.

Then a lady told me just last week that she cruises carinval to the Bahama's yearly & only brings her kids birth certificate, never bought a passport for them??? Is that true? If so what is the age? I would rather save my money!

Thank you!

You don't have to have passports to cruise as long as it's a closed loop cruise (leaving from a US port and returning to the same). All you need in that case is ID and a state certified birth certificate (not the one issued by the hospital). Need not be raised seal as many will tell you because many states now no longer do the raised seal BC's, so as long as it's a state issued BC, you're good.

However, if you have to fly home from a foreign port, you WILL need a passport, or wait ungodly amounts of time getting it all straightened out. It's totally up to you the risk you're willing to take. There will be the passport cheerleaders on here soon, and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck either way, and have a great cruise!

ETA: I think a renewal and first timer are the same price, but it's been a while since I've renewed. If you're considering travel directly outside of the country, then I'd say go ahead and cough up the PP renewal. I don't know your kids age, but under 16 I think doesn't last as long as over, so that should be part of your decision.

renewal is the same process and price regardless of if the passport is expired or not yet expired. (I've done it both ways). The only portion you can do on line is fill out the forms and print them, then track the applications.

Here is the US State Department's official page regarding passport renewals:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

I am not overly concerned with traveling with my kids' birth certificates. Worse comes to worse, you can get assistance through the embassy who will give you necessary paperwork to fly back home.

It isn't cheaper to renew a passport before it expires or after it expires.

A child's passport can not be renewed by mail, it must be done in person, and BOTH parents must sign the application in the presence of the clerk. (there is an additional form to fill out if only one parent can be present)

While it is true that a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise, we have always traveled with them. Had one medical emergency requiring an emergency flight home from St Maarten, and that was all the reason I needed to have a passport on me anytime I am out of the country. Food for thought.

I assume you have read the information in the link Cdamion provided to see that children must appear in person even if they have had a passport previously. Also, the fee will be the same no matter when you apply for it.

Also, I would not take lightly the problems with being issued an emergency passport at a U.S. Embassy if you must return to the U.S and were traveling with just your birth certificate. Post 9/11, issuance of emergency passports has become a much more complicated and time-consuming process. U.S. Embassies will process these passports only during regular office hours, so if you have a problem on a weekend, a U.S. or local holiday or late in the day, expect to have to spend one or more days waiting for your emergency passport to be issued.

I assume you have read the information in the link Cdamion provided to see that children must appear in person even if they have had a passport previously. Also, the fee will be the same no matter when you apply for it.

Also, I would not take lightly the problems with being issued an emergency passport at a U.S. Embassy if you must return to the U.S and were traveling with just your birth certificate. Post 9/11, issuance of emergency passports has become a much more complicated and time-consuming process. U.S. Embassies will process these passports only during regular office hours, so if you have a problem on a weekend, a U.S. or local holiday or late in the day, expect to have to spend one or more days waiting for your emergency passport to be issued.

To add to the list: or getting to a city where the embassy is located.

For a child under the age of sixteen, there is no such thing as a "renewal of a passport."

After a five year period, the under sixteen year old has to apply for a brand new passport, the same which was done the first time applying.

I know this for a fact because we just went through it with our almost 9 year old two weeks ago. Both my DH and I and our son had to appear, fill out all the new paperwork with a new photo and apply for a new passport for our son. We had to enclose his old one along with his original birth certificate which we were told would all be returned to us.

We did all of this at a post office which had a passport counter.

We don't do passports. In the event of a medical emergency, an emergency passport can be obtained very, very quickly, even on the weekend or a holiday. If it's not an emergency, I can wait a couple of days to get home. Short of a medical emergency, I have no other reason I'd need to return home unless I missed the ship somehow.

Archived