Celebrity vs RCL

It depends what you're looking for - RCL is bigger with 'fun' activities like water parks and ice skating in the case of Voyager and rock climbing. Celebrity has more refined activities like music e.g. trios, quartets, better dining and other activities.

I have a strong preference for one over the other, but both have many people who like them so it depends more on your preferences.

As said above one line is marketed as mass market resort style ships while the other is marketed as premium and refined cruising. Unfortunately sales and bargains these days omit the style of cruising when there is a vast difference between lines and whose tastes they cater to.

looking at doing a cruise to NZ

Just wondering what the differences on the ships are looking at Celebrity Solstice or Voyger of the sea

Thanks

Solstice is a new ship, which is receiving rave reviews, whilst Voyager of the Seas (1999) is older. Both are large ships owned by the same company.

Solstice will be doing an Alaska season in 2013, after it leaves Aus/NZ.

Celebrity ships are known for their high level of service and better food.

Royal Caribbean ships are known for their activities, eg rock climbing walls, etc.

If you read cruise reviews this will give you a good idea which ship you'd prefer.

Solstice is a new ship, which is receiving rave reviews, whilst Voyager of the Seas (1999) is older. Both are large ships owned by the same company.

Solstice will be doing an Alaska season in 2013, after it leaves Aus/NZ.

Celebrity ships are known for their high level of service and better food.

Royal Caribbean ships are known for their activities, eg rock climbing walls, etc.

If you read cruise reviews this will give you a good idea which ship you'd prefer.

We are currently sailing on Radiance in thick fog off the north eastern tip of Tas about to head south to hobart. The ship is beautiful and i agree that there are many "younger" activities but not many of them have been able to be carried out on this cruise whilst sailing because of the wind generated by the ships cruising speed - at precent 13 knts. I have seen a total of 1 person so far today on the rock climbing wall and they can't use it when the wall gets damp.

Kids are kept pretty well away from anyone else and have not been a problem.

Dining standards have been superb with steaks just melting in your mouth. There are plenty of bars to cater for everyone serving from beer to champagne.

Can't comment on Solstice but she is advertised on this ship as being owned by the same company and you can book cruises on her from Radiance.

We are currently sailing on Radiance in thick fog off the north eastern tip of Tas about to head south to hobart. The ship is beautiful and i agree that there are many "younger" activities but not many of them have been able to be carried out on this cruise whilst sailing because of the wind generated by the ships cruising speed - at precent 13 knts. I have seen a total of 1 person so far today on the rock climbing wall and they can't use it when the wall gets damp.

Kids are kept pretty well away from anyone else and have not been a problem.

Dining standards have been superb with steaks just melting in your mouth. There are plenty of bars to cater for everyone serving from beer to champagne.

Can't comment on Solstice but she is advertised on this ship as being owned by the same company and you can book cruises on her from Radiance.

Love it when some one 'pops in' live from the ship.:)

Is the weather the reason you're only cruising at 13knts? Hope it improves very soon for you.

I think no matter which ship or company you use there's something on board for everyone.

Hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise on Radiance.

Jill:)

Having sailed on Oasis, Radiance and Solstice ... I would agree with the above comments (with Voyager coming between the Radiance and Oasis in size and amenities).

They were all good experiences but you can't beat those comfortable chairs on Solstice, the lack of announcements ;) , the way the staff get involved in the passenger/crew activities, and the cocktails at the Molecular and Crush bars :D

But I'd be happy to sail on all of them again (especially as my booked cruises are looking very skinny right now!).

Love it when some one 'pops in' live from the ship.:)

Is the weather the reason you're only cruising at 13knts? Hope it improves very soon for you.

I think no matter which ship or company you use there's something on board for everyone.

Hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise on Radiance.

Jill:)

The weather has been good all cruise. Except for the 1st day when we sailed at 23 knts, we have been averaging 13-15knts the entire time. This is obviously to stretch out the days and to make things very comfortable. This ship though is very stable and you don't even know you are at sea.

The fog lasted 4 hours and made for some amazing photography.

Just come back from Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre - fantastic entertainment and fine food - highly recommended.

It depends what you're looking for - RCL is bigger with 'fun' activities like water parks and ice skating in the case of Voyager and rock climbing. Celebrity has more refined activities like music e.g. trios, quartets, better dining and other activities.

I have a strong preference for one over the other, but both have many people who like them so it depends more on your preferences.

So, are you saying that Celebrity is geared more "towards and ölder crowd"? By that I mean less fun type, interactive activities and more sitting around?

I can sit at home and read a book . Looking for a "fun ship"" where I can relax if I want to but also get involved in not so "refined activities"

Would CELEBRITY be what I am looking for?

So, are you saying that Celebrity is geared more "towards and ölder crowd"? By that I mean less fun type, interactive activities and more sitting around?

I can sit at home and read a book . Looking for a "fun ship"" where I can relax if I want to but also get involved in not so "refined activities"

Would CELEBRITY be what I am looking for?

Sounds like you might enjoy Royal Caribbean more than Celebrity. Did you enjoy the RC cruise you went on?

Yes we had a great time.

RHAPSODY was a bit dated

No problem would go again as she is now having a refurbishment.

Wonderful cruise staff and the food oh WOW !!!!

We met another couple onboard that were lots of fun too

A cruise is what you make of it. We made our own fun. It was unfortunate that there were so many unmotivated people on our particular cruise.

Celebrity is not necessarily the 'older' crowd - but 'refined' as in cultivated, classy, sophisticated, tasteful.

The group I associated with - a CC role call with an international cast of many age groups, was the best fun. It was what we all made it.

However, who knows what will happen when Solstice comes Down Under for her stint?

If someone is looking for their whole day to be organised for them , best to stick with RCL :D

Solstice has been one of the ships on the "shortlist". This time Voyager of the Seas won mostly due to the time of year an itinerary is available.

I've never cruised with the line before, so if anyone else has a Celebrity version of the Daily Compass / Pacific Daily I'd be very greatful if they could share :D

Although I have not cruised with Celebrity, I have cruised on a Voyager class ship, the Mariner of the Seas last year out of Galveston Texas. The Voyager class ships are incredible, so many things to do and the royal prominade deck is amazing, even has an English style pub on board.

A couple we met on the Mariner last year booked a celebrity cruise whilst on board and were told that Celebrity recognises their crown & anchor status but they would not earn cruise points. Thats a deal breaker for me. I love RCL and they cater for everything I require to make cruising perfect.

Celebrity is not necessarily the 'older' crowd - but 'refined' as in cultivated, classy, sophisticated, tasteful.

The group I associated with - a CC role call with an international cast of many age groups, was the best fun. It was what we all made it.

However, who knows what will happen when Solstice comes Down Under for her stint?

If someone is looking for their whole day to be organised for them , best to stick with RCL :D

So you mean stuck up??????

Claiming they are better than anyone else. Well that's not the type of holiday I am looking for.

Especially if this is the type of person they are portraying to be.

I am classy, refined , sophisticated and tasteful............ but I also have a sense of humour

I am not looking for my whole day to be organized, just looking for a ship that when you take a walk around other

people don't look at you with their nose in the air

and actually reciprocate a smile :)

Claiming they are better than anyone else. Well that's not the type of holiday I am looking for.

I am classy, refined , sophisticated and tasteful............ but I also have a sense of humour

I am not looking for my whole day to be organized, just looking for a ship that when you take a walk around other

I didn't see one person who would fit in the "stuck up" category on my recent Celebrity cruise.

Having cruised on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, which are owned by the same company, I felt they targeted different markets, one with more activities than the other. I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

I have no idea where you got the "stuck up" idea from, and Celebrity certainly doesn't portray themselves this way. There were plenty of smiles during my experience.

The_BIG_M: Touche' ! :) :rolleyes:

You may want to consider the difference in price between the two. The Celebrity Solstice has Balcony cabins for $2,200pp for the 12 nighter leaving the 23rd Dec whereas the Voyager is charging over $3,000pp for an ocean view room for a cruise that is only 2 days longer (leaving on the 22nd Dec). I think you would be getting better value on the Solstice.

Thank you

Will take this into consideration when I decide on which cruise

They are all such lovely ships.

No matter which one, I am sure it will be an enjoyable holiday :)

That's the right way to think, Ashnmar! What's not to like? No cooking, cleaning, making beds and you get waited on all day long plus being entertained and seeing different places. Lovely. :):):)

Archived