P & O St Petersburg in May

Yes, I''ve been around long enough to know this thread should go on the P&O board/roll-call, but we've started a roll call for Aurora & it seems we're going to have the whole ship to ourselves ;)

Which gives us a big big problem, so moderators please bear with me for a few days so that this post can get a wider airing.

The St Petersburg tour companies we've contacted (Alla & SPB) aren't offering their usual group tours for Aurora (ie we can't just book for two people)- we need to find six folk to share in order to get a private tour at the regular price per person that they charge for 16. That's around $270 to $330 pp for the two full days. We think we've found two people through one of those tour operators.

So is anyone out there going on Aurora, 4th May from Southampton & looking to share a 2-day St Petersburg tour? We're willing to compromise on the tour operator (they all have good reputations) and precisely which 2-day tour.

With greatest respect to cruise lines, anything is better than the inevitable cattle-herding that usually happens on ships' tours :eek:

JB :)

JB

Can't help you with recruiting people for your tour, but just wanted to let you know we used Alla Tours last July, when we were on the Arcadia. There was 12 of us in a 16 seater minibus and we did the full-on 2 day tour. Have got to say it was definitely the best tour we've ever taken, whether private or cruise.

Our guide Marina, was unbelieveable, whilst educating us about the displays in the Hermitage, she was also able to give us information on items they've had in storage for years and never been displayed, her knowledge was phenomenal!!!

Her English was excellent, she even got all our jokes. A couple of us wanted to see the Battleship Aurora, which started the Russian Revolution, not a problem. Marina and the driver just tagged it on at the end of the 1st day. Also got back on the 2nd day with plenty of time to spare.

Hope you have a great trip, St Petersburg is an amazing city. Below is a link to my photos from that trip, just to whet your appetite.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111068288242326437024/POArcadiaBalticCruiseJul2011

John

So your finally getting yourself out of the English countryside and are going to try and take on the Russians now.:D:D:D

You will love the Baltic cruise. We used SPB Tours, as have many on these forums. They are a complete professional company and we just loved them. Viktoria, the owner is a joy to work with and if you tell her you are a friend of mine, she'll give you the 'royal' treatment. (whatever that is) LOL

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers

Len

When we booked with SPB a few years ago they helped find 4 extra tourmates from another ship in port that day-Ok It was for the Berlin tour but I got the impression they would do the same for their St Petersburg tours-I believe they have a forum on their website to facilitate this

Did they just refuse to do this outright?

Dave - yes, Alla was first on our list, but depends where we find sharers. Jeez, didn't think we'd have this problem.

But 2 recruited so far, 2 more needed to get an acceptable price, & 2 more to bring the price down to regular tour price.

Len - yes, my parole officer has finally given me back my passport :D

We're also in contact with Vika at SPB.

That's "Viktoria" to you.

"Vika" to her special friends :p.

She's offering much the same arrangements as Alla.

40-odd - SPB are being very helpful, but their price for just the two of us is too heavy. And yes, Vika will get back to us if she gets other enquiries.

The message-board on SPB's website seems to be u/s at the moment, won't accept a post.

Gosport - wow, a whole new avenue I didn't even know about, thanks for the suggestion.

But would P & O keel-haul me for using their site to tempt folk away from their own tours???

If so, I'll get 'er indoors to do it ;)

Though she's currently away for a week in the sun with her sis-in-law.

Thanks all

Update from Alla.

She's now found two more to share the two-day "comfort tour":)

That makes us six.

So we need just two (or more) people from P & O's Aurora to get the tour for $270 (total for 2 days, incl visa's), the regular price per person as charged for groups of 16. :cool:

http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/2

Update from Alla.

She's now found two more to share the two-day "comfort tour":)

That makes us six.

So we need just two (or more) people from P & O's Aurora to get the tour for $270 (total for 2 days, incl visa's), the regular price per person as charged for groups of 16. :cool:

http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/2

Good luck JB, you'll have a brilliant time.

Yes, I''ve been around long enough to know this thread should go on the P&O board/roll-call, but we've started a roll call for Aurora & it seems we're going to have the whole ship to ourselves ;)

Which gives us a big big problem, so moderators please bear with me for a few days so that this post can get a wider airing.

The St Petersburg tour companies we've contacted (Alla & SPB) aren't offering their usual group tours for Aurora (ie we can't just book for two people)- we need to find six folk to share in order to get a private tour at the regular price per person that they charge for 16. That's around $270 to $330 pp for the two full days. We think we've found two people through one of those tour operators.

So is anyone out there going on Aurora, 4th May from Southampton & looking to share a 2-day St Petersburg tour? We're willing to compromise on the tour operator (they all have good reputations) and precisely which 2-day tour.

With greatest respect to cruise lines, anything is better than the inevitable cattle-herding that usually happens on ships' tours :eek:

Hi we are a group of 4 travelling on the same cruise who are interested in taking a private tour. We haven't had time to apply for russian tourist visas - do we need them to be able to take the private tour? If not I think that we would be interested in joining you

Hi we are a group of 4 travelling on the same cruise who are interested in taking a private tour. We haven't had time to apply for russian tourist visas - do we need them to be able to take the private tour? If not I think that we would be interested in joining you

Hi,

Welcome to the Cruise Critic website.

Very definately no need for a visa on a private tour such as the one we're planning. That's 110% for sure.

P&O's excursion booklet says you don't need a visa if you go on a ship's tour.

True.:)

It also says you do need a visa if you want to go off independently.

Also true.:) For instance, if you want to just walk out of the port & hail a taxi.

What it doesn't clearly say, cos it's not good for business ;), is you don't need a visa if you go ashore on a private tour organised by an accredited local tour operator.:)

Just the same as ship's excursions, a visa-waiver is included in the tour price.

Alla found two more today, making eight.

Plus yourselves would make 12.

The maximum is 16.

Because Alla has found two couples for our merry band, we'll be using her.

We're now already guaranteed the standard rate for the 2-day "comfort tour" at USD270 (vaguely £180) per person for the two days.

This is cheaper than P & O's 2-day offering at £230, or their other day/half-day combinations, but the motivation is to get a more personal & flexible tour in a smaller group without the constraints of a large vehicle or a large group. It also seems to be a more varied & comprehensive tour than P & O's.

If you check the itineraries,

http://www.alla-tour.com/

you'll find the comfort tour & the grand tour are very similar, but the comfort tour is a little less hectic - ideal because several of us are planning to take an evening trip.

But do bear in mind that the 2-day tour is more strenuous than P & O's half-day tours.

The tour seems to include the major sights - Peterhof, Tsars Village, St Catherine's Palace, St Peter & Paul cathedral, Church of the Blood, pre-public access to the Hermitage, a hydrofoil ferry, a canal cruise & a ride on the ornate subway system. But because it's a scratched-together "private" tour, lunches aren't included. Not too sure if we qualify for the 5% discount, because its a bit of a joint effort. Payment is a choice of credit card in advance, or cash on the second morning. I think everyone's opting for cash.

This is all much the same as other tour operators

If you join our group, you can book any of Alla's evening excursions, or one of P & O's (most are the same as Alla's, but slightly more expensive), or spend the evening on the ship. Minimum numbers don't apply to the evenings.

Sorry to now stipulate the operator and tour, trust you appreciate the reasons & it does at least keep things simple.

If you get back to me on chris@cneal6.wanadoo.co.uk we can trade phone numbers, much easier than slaving over a keyboard on a forum

John Bull :)

Archived