Cruising with Epilepsy...

Hi

I hope someone can help me with this... In the past when I have been on cruises or land based holidays where I change several time zones while flying it generally causes me to have several Epileptic seizures either on the flight back or in the following days.

When I returned home from Florida to the UK after a 7nt Caribbean Cruise I stayed in a hotel overnight before flying back and I was fine.

I've booked a 14nt Transatlantic cruise in October from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale with flights back to the UK the same day. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should book a hotel to rest before flying back or if this wouldn't be necessary as on the ship you only change the time by 1 hour every day that your crossing the Atlantic giving the body more time to adjust and relax on lots of sea days.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to explain as best as possible

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Of course I cannot even pretend to predict your outcome but you will have six 25 hour days on the crossing and should be rested (except for the hassle of disembarkation). By the time we are getting close to home, we are waking up at 2-3 AM and ready to get up:eek:.

You know your body best.... That being said, you should be pretty rested after the 14 day cruise...

What time is the flight from Florida back to the UK? If it's an overnight flight then you should have less stress/be less tiring getting off the ship and to the airport; I'd utilse the ship's tour that drops you off at the airport....

If it is a daylight flight; I'd probably spend an extra day in Florida before flying back.

(Or.... if you have the time, take the train to New York, and wait for the next Cunard ship going back to England! )

Aloha,

John

Hi

I hope someone can help me with this... In the past when I have been on cruises or land based holidays where I change several time zones while flying it generally causes me to have several Epileptic seizures either on the flight back or in the following days.

When I returned home from Florida to the UK after a 7nt Caribbean Cruise I stayed in a hotel overnight before flying back and I was fine.

I've booked a 14nt Transatlantic cruise in October from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale with flights back to the UK the same day. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should book a hotel to rest before flying back or if this wouldn't be necessary as on the ship you only change the time by 1 hour every day that your crossing the Atlantic giving the body more time to adjust and relax on lots of sea days.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul

That one is hard to answer........you won't feel the time change the same as on land but we have had many time changes on board and if you are losing sleep an hour every few days you may feel tired. Gaining an hour isn't as bad.

I don't know which way the time is moving, we are doing a TA in April and Oct. as well.

Disembarking can be somewhat stressful, with a flight to make. As long as you have lots of time to clear Customs and get your luggage and get to the airport with plenty of time to rest before your flight.........

Perhaps a night in a hotel would give you more down time and to enjoy the warm Florida weather before the long flight home?

Best wishes for a great cruise with no health problems!:)

Hi

Thanks

Paul

Fully understand that you asking for people experiences. But everyone's experience is exactly just that ..... Their experience.

A decision such a this should never be detemined by other people's experiences, people who do not know you or are not your healthcare providers. It's highly recommended that this be discussed this with you doctor and not base your decision on the replies and experiences from CC posters.

Thank you for all your replies. Our flights are booked for 17:15 out of Miami International direct back to Heathrow. I intend on speaking to my neurologist next time i see him but it's also great to hear other people's views and experiences.

Thanks again

Paul

My first thought was if you are on large doses of medicines to control the seizures. If so, you might need to do some medicine time changes so your medicine levels stay up there.

You are talking several time changes (lengthened days, right?) so you might need to take an extra pill or two to help your body. Be sure and run this by your Dr.

Thank you for all your replies. Our flights are booked for 17:15 out of Miami International direct back to Heathrow. I intend on speaking to my neurologist next time i see him but it's also great to hear other people's views and experiences.

Thanks again

Paul

Glad to hear that you will speaking with your neurologist.

BTW - Have a 6 year olf nephew that suffers from seizures and does not have epilepsy. Regardless of his over medical condition I am very much aware of the sudden onset of these. In his case there's no trigger pattern to when these might occur. It just pains me to see this little guy go into one and than see how beat up he his after it.

Hi

Thanks

Paul

We did this cruise and the daily changes had more of an impact on me than I expected. I would vote for staying in Ft. Lauderdale one night. If you can't find one, give me a call.... we live 10 minutes from the port!

All kidding aside, I tend to lean toward the safest choice. If this has been a problem for you before, I think one night in Ft. L. would be an easier choice than the discomfort of a seizure.

Another idea might be to book a hotel for the day. If you take a car to Miami when you disembark, you could spend the day resting in a hotel next to MIA.

Couple of thoughts Paul, from experience we always stay another day on land before flying home from Miami, much less stressful than coming off the ship early and spending the day in Miami airport.

We traveled with a gent who had 2 watches and told us one was on his home time and he took his medication according to that one so it was always the same and when he got home he knew he would be still on schedule.

As someone said before "check with your doctor".

That being said, my husband has seizures after having viral encephilitis seven years ago. After trying many, many meds he still has seizures when he is overstressed or did not sleep well. One of the things that I have learned is being well rested and drinking enough fluids is important. Taking a little extra meds might help because we have tried that with the doctor's approval. We take the extra night in a hotel or cruise out of our local port.

You did not say what type of seizures you have. Many people do not realize that there are different types. My husband has staring, passing out ones, and Todd's. The first two most people would not notice. Todd's causes his arm, leg or voice not to work. It can be all three or one.

Usually during a cruise he does not have a problem but we try to pace ourselves.

Hope this helps.

I have Partial Complex Seizures, so I don't have blackouts or anything but do feel really rough afterwards. I've decided to call RCI and see what they can offer me in the way of hotels. Using extra meds has been mentioned, is that more of ones you take already or additional ones like sedatives? Lots of questions for my neurologist!

Thanks

Paul

Having a higher level of your regular meds than you should can also cause seizures. My advice is to leave this thread and listen only. to your neurologist. It would be great if your neurologist also knew about the stresses that can come with cruising:rolleyes:

Having a higher level of your regular meds than you should can also cause seizures. My advice is to leave this thread and listen only. to your neurologist. It would be great if your neurologist also knew about the stresses that can come with cruising:rolleyes:

The OP has asked for our thoughts on his problem and it is good to talk,so he should not leave this thread but as he says lots of things to ask his consultant before he sails.

I have Partial Complex Seizures, so I don't have blackouts or anything but do feel really rough afterwards. I've decided to call RCI and see what they can offer me in the way of hotels. Using extra meds has been mentioned, is that more of ones you take already or additional ones like sedatives? Lots of questions for my neurologist!

Thanks

Paul

My husband takes ativan every day but when he has Todd's, he has to take another pill to make his arm, leg or voice work. This is a med that they sometimes give in hospitals to calm patients. My husband has also had acupuncture on board which also helps him. Most of his seizures are cause by migriane type headaches so he has been doing botox for about 2 1/2 years which help to get rid of headaches which means less seizures (only one every two weeks). We have been trying meds for 7 years and right now this is the best combinations.

Again talk to your neuologist.

Hi

just been browsing the site

i have epilepsy and when on holiday with different time zones i wear my watch on uk time so that i can take my meds at the same time every day so my meds dont alter even if my body does touch wood no problems yet as i am on holiday i dont need to know the time or i can ask or look at a clock hope this helps

Archived