Get off in Cozumel, get back on in Costa Maya?

Dabs01

I know this is a really odd question but I have a friend who is terrified of flying but wants to attend his brother's wedding in Cancun in August. He's found a Carnival cruise that arrives in Cozumel 2 days before the wedding and leaves from Costa Maya the day after the wedding. I think he's looked into transport and it's about 4 hours from Cancun to Costa Maya by bus. The question is, will a cruiseline, if prearranged, allow him to do this? He would be skipping 2 ports (roatan and belize) but getting back on before heading back to the US. I think it leaves from either Miama or Tampa

And I guess a secondary question would be whether these ports ever get rerouted in early August due to weather as I believe that's hurricane season.

First, there's not much a cruise line can do to prevent what you're suggesting, since that's what happens to folks missing the ship's departure from a port, anyway. But your last question is the important one: Yes, ports are missed. Not sure how often Costa Maya/Majahual gets missed, but it's always a possibility, and the port order could change because of conditions at one of the other ports. Could even miss Cozumel. Risk should not be very high, though, assuming your friend can make other arrangements. But there's no way the ship would guarantee where/when they'd be anywhere.

And your friend needs to remember that August is in hurricane season. By the end of August, these storms are startign to be more frequent. That could prevent ships from reaching ports of call or cause changes in itineraries. As a single passenger, he'll pay a premium to book the cabin, in effect paying for two people. Plus he'll incur additional hotel and transportation expenses to get to Cancun, and maybe an overnight in Mahahual.

I'm guessing the ship is probably the Carnival Dream Western as that fits it's itinerary. The Dream is out of Port Cananveral. Is he flying or drive to the port? If flying, despite his fears, it's just a bit longer to fly to Cancun. There are meds and techniques to assuage the nerves for flying. If he's driving, he'll also have parking expenses. In all, it'd be cheaper and easier to fly to Cancun then fly home.

No way I would attempt this, especially during hurricane season. Weather issues, port issues, ship mechanical issues - anything could cause a port to be cancelled or rescheduled and then he's stuck in Mexico! :eek: That drive from Cancun up through Mexico to Texas and then back to FLA will convince your friend to get on the plane for a 2-hour flight! :cool:

I read somewhere beging on december 2011 there is a Car ferry service between Tampa and Progreso which is 5 hours drive to Cancun, you can google Trader Intermar Corp for more info, me as your friend hate to fly so good luck

There are so many variables here, and so many planets that would have to align just right in order to make this happen, especially (as was noted in earlier posts) since this would occur during hurricane season. I agree 100% with JohninDC. Everything in his post is absolutely on point. I really wouldn't chance something like this.

I read somewhere beging on december 2011 there is a Car ferry service between Tampa and Progreso which is 5 hours drive to Cancun, you can google Trader Intermar Corp for more info, me as your friend hate to fly so good luck

This would be great if it ever starts service, but it's been rumored for a number of years. It will probably start up the same month that Carnival rolls out it's revamped loyalty program. ;):D

Archived