Breakaway Cabin Selection ?

sunflower47

Currently have a mid-ship Balcony booked for next year on Deck 10 but have been pondering booking an inside cabin only because it's $650 cheaper..which is a good reason.

First cruise for us so we don't know the difference. There are two insides I am looking at one on Deck 10 that is 129 sq ft and one on Deck 5 that is mid-ship that is 151 sq ft BUT deck 5 is right below Deck 6, the start of 678 Ocean Place.

Other consideration, DH is a smoker, I would say he can be a heavy smoker at times. That is why I booked the balcony to begin with. But $650 can get us a long way in OB expenses and he can easily go elsewhere to smoke.

The cruise is in November so sea days leaving and getting back to NYC maybe chilly on the balcony.

I am just wondering if I should do this and change the cabins now while they are still available or will I regret this move for our first cruise being in an inside cabin and losing my DH to a smoking section for the entire cruise.

It's a big ship and there are plenty of places to be besides our room, but a balcony is so nice and 226 ft is even nicer, but $650 extra spending money sounds so sweet.

Thoughts??? :confused:

TIA

Since it's your first cruise, you won't know the difference between and inside and a balcony, but let me say one thing... if you do a balcony, you will never be happy to book anything but a balcony ! ;) I am too confined in an inside and another thing, I would not stay anywhere below deck 8. Just my opinion ! :) If youlike a small dark room, then an inside is the way to go, but if you like a little more space with a beautiful view, then book the balcony ! :p Good luck with your decision.

My thought: You only live once so go ahead and get a balcony where your husband can smoke.

Then when you are on the balcony nag him to quit smoking. :)

That will feel too much like we are at home when he is out on the patio smoking. LOL (he is not allowed to smoke in the house).

Actually one of my concerns is the people in the balconies next to us, if they are non-smokers. Once he is able to smoke, he becomes a chain smoker. If he can't smoke he is okay and will just wait until he can.

I think the first time is an ideal time to go with a lower category cabin. Give it try, you're not breaking the bank, and you two may find it a great fit. If you enjoy your cruise, you can always get a balcony the next time.

That being said, I suggest a "happy medium" - I assume that an Oceanview would still be significantly less than the balcony? Get an OV, that way you get some view and sunlight, plus the cabins are a bit bigger than an Inside. 151 sq ft is pretty small.

My additional suggestion is, if you move forward with an Inside or OV, pay particular attention to the allowed areas on board to smoke and get a cabin location that would be convenient for your husband to go smoke. (Unless on a personal level you'd rather do just the opposite, lol.) He might even make friends with other smokers in the smoking areas, so maybe it'll be a social atmosphere, rather than just chain smoking.

You're right to think that some non-smokers on adjacent balconies would not appreciate smelling smoke. There's also the possibility of fire if people are careless with their smoking materials (see Star Princess).

Hope that helps.

I think the first time is an ideal time to go with a lower category cabin. Give it try, you're not breaking the bank, and you two may find it a great fit. If you enjoy your cruise, you can always get a balcony the next time.

I have to agree with this. :)

My first proper cruise was three years ago on Norwegian Jade in a fwd suite, after that two back-to-back cruises in mini suites (really just a deluxe balcony, with tub and curtain to separate bed from the couch, no suite perks at all) and now for our upcoming cruise we were supposed to "go budget" and have oceanview which we even booked and paid but for several reasons (suite perks being one of them) we paid to upgrade to the cheapest suite just last week.

This is so bad, I'm not sure whether I'll ever go in a cabin lesser than mini suite and my back account & credit cards take the hit. Badly. :D

That will feel too much like we are at home when he is out on the patio smoking. LOL (he is not allowed to smoke in the house).

Actually one of my concerns is the people in the balconies next to us, if they are non-smokers. Once he is able to smoke, he becomes a chain smoker. If he can't smoke he is okay and will just wait until he can.

Don't worry about the "other" people, worry about what is best for the two of you. They've kicked the smokers out of the cabins and a lot of other spaces. The balcony is still allowed and should not be a problem for others.

I would try for the best you can comfortably afford, your first cruise will determine if you ever go again. I would not go for less than a balcony. If you husband has to go looking for a place to smoke, you will be without him a lot, unless you go to the smoking areas. By the way, I'm a non smoker and have never been "bothered" by anyone smoking on another balcony. Have fun.

• 2 months later...

I smoke, so I know what a pain it can be to have to go searching for a smoking section everytime I want a cigarette. It is even more irritating for my husband who is not a smoker because he is always having to wait for me.

Like you, I am always concerned about smoking around non-smokers and try to stay as far away as possible. I have a balcony room booked on the Breakaway and will probably just go elsewhere if I my neighbors are out on their balcony. I would stick with the balcony. This will only be my second cruise. My first was an inside and I swore if I every went on another, I would go with the balcony. I hated waking up and having no idea what the weather was like outside.

You should ALWAYS worry about "other" people where smoking is concerned. For some of us, it could mean the difference between life and death - literally. I have asthma and being subjected to a lot of smoke has landed me in the hospital near death. There are others with even more serious respiratory illnesses who should also be considered. I hope NCL one day goes the way of some other lines and ban smoking on balconies. But, having said that, I also understand smokers have rights and they paid for that balcony space same as I did. So, if I'm on my balcony and a heavy smoker is out next to me, I go back in when the smoke bothers me. They won't be out there forever so I just go back out when there's no smoke.

You should ALWAYS worry about "other" people where smoking is concerned. For some of us, it could mean the difference between life and death - literally. I have asthma and being subjected to a lot of smoke has landed me in the hospital near death. There are others with even more serious respiratory illnesses who should also be considered. I hope NCL one day goes the way of some other lines and ban smoking on balconies. But, having said that, I also understand smokers have rights and they paid for that balcony space same as I did. So, if I'm on my balcony and a heavy smoker is out next to me, I go back in when the smoke bothers me. They won't be out there forever so I just go back out when there's no smoke.

Well, one option is not to book a balcony if it is a life or death situation and there would be no danger? I'm glad you agree smokers have rights too.

The only no smoking mainline ship that tried it did not work. Time will tell.

Life dictates that there will always be situations where smoke might be accidentally encountered - walking through a parking garage, being at a stoplight next to a car so filled with smoke you can barely see the driver, getting in an elevator with someone who's been on a smoke break or right after a heavy smoker has left it, etc. That doesn't mean people should stop living their lives normally because of the dangers out there. I've had very nice balcony neighbors who would inform their neighbors on both sides that they're smokers. One gave me a warning once that they were having guests and it might get smoky. But it's unfortunate that far too many smokers are inconsiderate of others and there's no reason for me or anyone else to not have their cabin of choice because of rude people who go through life thinking of only themselves. I just make concessions for people like that and rather than make a fuss I just enjoy my balcony when the smoke isn't around.

Archived