In need of Dream advice

Imachillin

We are booked on the Dream in a cove balcony (midship) this coming May, and now we have the opportunity to upgrade for $40 to a Verandah, or Vista, It could be midship, aft, or forward. I booked the cove because I've read so much good about it, but I am wondering if moving up would be a good move?

We've cruised the Fantasy class ships three time, so I am unfamiliar with this ship. I have read about the movement and am thinking that being lower deck would be better. Also, I have a concern about the privacy on the balcony higher up.

So, would it be worth it to pay the $40 and move????? Or are we better to stay where we are??? :confused:

With the promenade jutting out and numerous hot tubs I would choose a floor very high up if you are going to switch. We were on the Dream over Thanksgiving and got to see several rooms. I would keep the cove, we LOVED it. I've cruised many times and I have never felt a ship move as much as the dream. The seas were rough, tho, but the Cove was nice and smooth. Good luck and you will love the ship!

Also, I have a concern about the privacy on the balcony higher up.

I personally think that the regular balconies are better for the mere fact that you have an unobstructed view since you have a glass railing (instead of a white wall on the cove balconies).

We had a balcony on deck 6 (lower than the ones you are looking at) and I can tell you that unless you're planning on being naked or engaging in R (or X) rated activities, the privacy issues are not a problem. Yes, people can look up, but they can't really look into your cabin.

As someone mentioned, I would look at the deck plan and make sure that you don't have a hot tub right below you, since I can see how that could hinder your enjoyment of your balcony.

CD014.jpg

CD015.jpg

CD025.jpg

We had a Grand Suite on the Fantasy, and a deck 8 balcony on the Dream.

The Dream does move MUCH more than the Fantasy did, but it wasn't horrible.

We have a Cove balcony booked for our upcoming Breeze cruise. The cove balcony's remind me of the grand suite because of how they are surrounded by "metal" instead of glass.

If you love to see and be close to the ocean, my opinion is to stay with the Cove.

If you want to people watch, go with a higher balcony deck. :D

Thanks for the replies.

NeuroQueen, when the seas were rough, did they come by and bolt your balcony door shut??

Tapi, great pictures. Oh, and I don't have any nekkedness or adult activities planned for the balcony. LOL Just interested in a tranquil spot for relaxing. :-)

Cove! Cove! COVE!!!

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

You have to experience the ocean like this at least once!

They bolted the door Sunday night - but I'm betting it was more for crew practice than rough seas. Monday afternoon it was open again - see above pic for what is considered OK weather to leave them open.

We were on deck 6 with an aft view and felt no unusual movement the entire week (a rainless week in early June). When we were on a higher deck near the aft on Crown Princess, we were rockin' & rollin' all week (Thanksgiving cruise). I think the weather/ time of year has more of an impact on how much movement you feel versus the deck you are on.

We have sailed on Dream 4x so far and to me, the ideal cabin is midship deck 8. We have not had a Cove cabin even though we thought about it. I guess I am concerned that there might be rough seas and the door would be closed. My DH is claustrophobic and I don't know how he would feel about an oceanview room as opposed to a balcony cabin. My thought is that if he wanted just an ocean view, we would book that. He wants a balcony all the time. I have also read that the Cove balconies are wet much of the time, but I don't know if that's true.

On Deck 8 (Veranda) midship,with cabins above and below us, it is so much more convenient to either end of the ship as opposed to forward or aft. Our last cruise on Dream we had a Spa Cabin on deck 11. We felt the ship rocking and rolling and I think that is more prevalent in forward cabins.

We will sail again on Dream next winter and probably in a balcony cabin midship on deck 8. Dream is one of our favorite ships, from our favorite port. Enjoy!

Sailed on a regular balcony midship verandah last April and never felt a thing! As for the deck that juts out with the hot tubs....we found it great for people watching. And unless you are standing and leaning out on the balcony, the bottom decks can not see you. Never stayed in a cove, but the thought of being that close to the water personally makes me very uneasy.....you did see Titanic right? And what happen to all those lower class passengers put in "jail" in the bottom decks?? Just my opinion though :p

Sailed on a regular balcony midship verandah last April and never felt a thing! As for the deck that juts out with the hot tubs....we found it great for people watching. And unless you are standing and leaning out on the balcony, the bottom decks can not see you. Never stayed in a cove, but the thought of being that close to the water personally makes me very uneasy.....you did see Titanic right? And what happen to all those lower class passengers put in "jail" in the bottom decks?? Just my opinion though :p

What'd they call us? Steerage? Baggage? Somethin' like that...:D

We had a cove on the Dream last summer and loved it. We booked another one on the Dream for this fall. One thing you might want to consider....if you want to get a lot of sun.....then you'd probably like the regular balcony more.......the cove's are shaded most of the time.....which is what we prefer. Our cove never got wet.....and we never saw water break over the bow like in the picture posted earlier. Whichever you choose....hope you have a great cruise!!! May is right around the corner! :)

We had a cove on Dream in June 2010 and just booked our second for this October. I don't remember it ever being wet, and we prefer the shade you get from the lifeboats. From what I remember, it wasn't dark and gloomy; there were plenty of times when our cove balcony had sun. They also seem a little larger to me. You still get a table and two chairs like a regular balcony. They're quite nice; something different. I figure if it's going to be that stormy and rough, I wouldn't be sitting out on my regular balcony either. The fact that they're priced lower than a regular balcony is a bonus to us.

Never had to wipe down chairs or railing. The waves/break hit a rhythm that once in a while comes back at the ship. A big one hit the side and went right up to us - the water stayed out and we were hooting and wooping - it was way cool.

Shady, as others had said, but that made it comfy to sit out during the day. At night it was nice because of the added shelter.

Another consideration: Getting off the ship - you are only 2 decks away from the gangway, vs. everybody above coming down numerous decks and waiting in line.

A little video of the view you'd have:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/?action=view&current=cruisebalcony.mp4 (Click to go to full screen, it's less jumpy that way)

I forgot about how convenient it was to leave the ship while we were in port; another bonus! And didn't the stairs lead right to the main atrium area?

And it's really not as low to the water as you think. Remember, there's still another passenger deck below, plus crew decks, etc.

shootr, your video is awesome.

What I seem to get from all the input is that there is a cabin on this ship that is perfect for whatever a person is interested in. We've been aft extended balcony, and loved that, for the peace and quietness.

The one last concern I have is that I'm a smoker, and I'm a little worried about the balcony being bolted shut. Other than that, the cove balcony cabin is exactly what I'm interested in. Probably should just keep where we are and stop fretting about it.

Archived