Help, Parental consent panic!

Baileygirls

So, in my obvious lack of wisdom, I just thought I'd print of the forms, get the hubby to sign them and off we go. Having printed the forms today (Yes, very late, I now realise!), I see that they need a Notary Public witness!

We leave on Monday!!!

I am wondering if I have the forms filled in, with both our signatures and those of our 2 witnesses along with all the additional certificates/documents/paper trail that shows I'm their mum (I have a different surname), will that be enough?

If not, where do I find one at such short notice, and how much might they charge?

I live in the UK, and we will be travelling in the Med.

It may not be enough. Better to be safe then sorry. Here in the U.S. mostly all banks have notary's. Also check cashing places. It is very fast to do once you find one. Do you have telephone information? Here they are also listed in the yellow pages.

I would definately take care of this before you go. The only issue you may have with the Notary is you are suppose to sign it in front of them. May have to download documents again and bring both parties with you. :confused:

I believe you are panicking for nothing. If you read NCL's document requirements, the parental consent form is only required if a minor child is sailing with NEITHER of his/her parents. Since you are the mother, it is not required. You can call NCL to confirm. However, if you are flying, you should check with the airline to make sure there are no specific customs requirements for minors traveling without both parents.

The point of these forms is to attempt to prevent one parent from abducting the child and leaving the country without the other parents consent.

I know that when I traveled in Europe with my son my documents were really scrutinised. Take a few minutes and find a notary. Better to be safe than sorry and risk getting denied boarding.

You can find a notary at banks, lawyers offices, maybe the HR dept of either of your employers.

I travelled on the Pearl last June and my son has a different surname to me. NCL definitely needed the form filled out. As i am not from the USA, as you are not, I did not get it notarised. I had the form completed by myself and my current husband and witnessed by people who knew us. I also had original copies of Birth Certificate and Court Orders. They took copies of all of this and we boarded without any dramas. If we did not have they were going to get us to complete with them to witness the form.

Complete the form and take as much documentation as you have and I am sure you will be fine.

I have read many stories of the parental consent form being needed when the minor child was traveling with only one parent. Definitely get this taken care of. But, keep in mind that the Notary Public must witness your signatures. So, please do not sign the form(s) ahead of time. You'll be asked to re-do them.

We are grandparents and taking our grandkids on cruise.We were told to not only do the ncl consent form but also have a copy of my son's and daughter inlaws drivers lic.You better cover all the bases.We are also going to do a seperate medical release form. All noterized.

We are grandparents and taking our grandkids on cruise.We were told to not only do the ncl consent form but also have a copy of my son's and daughter inlaws drivers lic.You better cover all the bases.We are also going to do a seperate medical release form. All noterized.

Took 3 of our grandchildren last summer on the Jewel. The parents filled out the NCL forms on the web site (notarized) and we faxed them to NCL - the number is on the form. We brought the originals with us but we were never asked at check-in to see them. We figured once all the documentation was in the computer, all was good.

Took 3 of our grandchildren last summer on the Jewel. The parents filled out the NCL forms on the web site (notarized) and we faxed them to NCL - the number is on the form. We brought the originals with us but we were never asked at check-in to see them. We figured once all the documentation was in the computer, all was good.

The OP is in the United Kingdom, so finding a notary might not be quite so easy. :)

The problem may not be with NCL, but customs. Check out the laws in Spain and see what you will need. I know just crossing the border by air in Canada we need it when I travel with the kids and not my husband.

So, in my obvious lack of wisdom, I just thought I'd print of the forms, get the hubby to sign them and off we go. Having printed the forms today (Yes, very late, I now realise!), I see that they need a Notary Public witness!

We leave on Monday!!!

I am wondering if I have the forms filled in, with both our signatures and those of our 2 witnesses along with all the additional certificates/documents/paper trail that shows I'm their mum (I have a different surname), will that be enough?

If not, where do I find one at such short notice, and how much might they charge?

I live in the UK, and we will be travelling in the Med.

Here in the states, we have independent notaries, notaries at banks, attorneys, and many towns have a notary public at town hall or at their city center. They may also be available at passport offices, Dept of Motor Vehicles, judicial centers and courts, etc.

Let your fingers do the walking and make a few phone calls. At worst, you will have to reprint the forms, fill them out again and take your witnesses with you.

I would make sure that the forms are notarized if that is what NCL requires. I would really hate to see you and your family miss a cruise because they weren't filled out completely.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for all of the replies. NCL do insist on having the documantation as the children are not travelling with both parents. Additionally, as I have a different surname, I am required to bring along proof of parentage!

However, having contacted NCL this morning, I was informed that in actual fact the forms have changed and they no longer need to be notarised or witnessed!!

The signed form needs to be emailed to them with copies of official documents with the signature ie driving licence/passport. You then take the original form with you to present at the port.

Hope this helps others in the future.

Archived