Rsvp 2013

sej67

• 2 weeks later...

On another thread or board someone suggested RSVP may do another Hawaii cruise in '14, because it's been awhile since they went there (I think it was 2010), and apparently it was very popular with those who went. So does that seem likely for '14? Has RSVP hinted or said anything to that effect lately?

On another thread or board someone suggested RSVP may do another Hawaii cruise in '14, because it's been awhile since they went there (I think it was 2010), and apparently it was very popular with those who went. So does that seem likely for '14? Has RSVP hinted or said anything to that effect lately?

I have not hear any hints about Hawaii in 2014. It was a great cruise (despite the ship!) and it did not sell out, so I am not so sure they will do it so soon again.

RSVP has to survive 2013. Then it can start looking at 2014.

it will be interesting to see how the 2013 Feb cruise sells. RSVP just posted two European river cruises (capacity about 150 each) for the summer of 2013. My guess is that RSVP may retreat to mainly smaller ship cruises, like the Europe river cruises in 2014, if they survive. There may not be a big enough market for both Atlantis and RSVP big ship cruises, especially with Atlantis booking 5-6 big ship cruises a year, and selling out for most of them. The two brands may not be all that different anymore, and the Atlantis brand appears to be doing a lot better.

There may not be a big enough market for both Atlantis and RSVP big ship cruises, especially with Atlantis booking 5-6 big ship cruises a year, and selling out for most of them. The two brands may not be all that different anymore, and the Atlantis brand appears to be doing a lot better.

It's interesting you should say that. I was surprised at RSVP's summer 2013 cruises - 2 European river boat cruises - and quite expensive ones at that.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know how the 2/13 cruise is booking? Is the cruise selling at a good pace or not?:confused:

It seems to be booking quite well from their website, although there are quite a few cabin categories available, including the cheapest inside cabins. I am a little surprised, but the attraction is the warm climates, despite the same itinerary as three years ago. Quite a few guys from Canada go on the cruise, so I would guess that they appreciated the change from New Orleans to the southern Caribbean itinerary.

It's interesting you should say that. I was surprised at RSVP's summer 2013 cruises - 2 European river boat cruises - and quite expensive ones at that.

I am not really surprised -- the riverboat cruises only have a capacity of 100-150 persons, which is a lot easier to sell than the big cruise ship with 2000 passengers. I would not be surprised if RSVP concentrates more on smaller ship cruises and lets Atlantis do the mega-ship cruises in the future.

It seems to be booking quite well from their website, although there are quite a few cabin categories available, including the cheapest inside cabins. I am a little surprised, but the attraction is the warm climates, despite the same itinerary as three years ago. Quite a few guys from Canada go on the cruise, so I would guess that they appreciated the change from New Orleans to the southern Caribbean itinerary.

The cheapest small (as opposed to large) inside are horrible staterooms at about 130 sq ft. I had L5182 once and there was no room for even the one chair in the room. The square inside rooms on Main are much larger at about 220 sq feet and have an l-shaped couch. Just don't get one under a loud area on Lower Promenade Deck.

I am not really surprised -- the riverboat cruises only have a capacity of 100-150 persons, which is a lot easier to sell than the big cruise ship with 2000 passengers. I would not be surprised if RSVP concentrates more on smaller ship cruises and lets Atlantis do the mega-ship cruises in the future.

I hope not. I think it is very hard to generate enough revenue from a few 150 person sailings to support an operation of RSVP's size. I have to wonder if the entertainment in such a small venue would be up to standards they have set on larger vessels. A big part of the motivation for many is to belong to a mini-community of gay folks for a week - you would lose that sense of community on small ships.

RSVP seems to have focused on mid-size ships, almost exclusively Holland America Lines. With about 2000 gay-campers on board, I find this hits the mark for me - not too small to be boring, not too large to feel disconnected or lost.

It was clearly a mistake to book New Orleans for early February, way too cold to be of interest for a winter getaway. I hope with their marketing efforts they can fill the Eurodam to near capacity with the new itinerary. Each time I check, the list of available staterooms is shrinking.

In addition to the riverboat cruises, RSVP is doing an Alaska cruise from July 21 through 28th. I had gotten an e-mail about it from a travel agent, and RSVP was at Atlanta gay pride this weekend, and the guy at the booth confirmed it. They also mentioned it in one of the promotional flyers they were handing out.

I hope not. I think it is very hard to generate enough revenue from a few 150 person sailings to support an operation of RSVP's size. I have to wonder if the entertainment in such a small venue would be up to standards they have set on larger vessels. A big part of the motivation for many is to belong to a mini-community of gay folks for a week - you would lose that sense of community on small ships.

RSVP seems to have focused on mid-size ships, almost exclusively Holland America Lines. With about 2000 gay-campers on board, I find this hits the mark for me - not too small to be boring, not too large to feel disconnected or lost.

It was clearly a mistake to book New Orleans for early February, way too cold to be of interest for a winter getaway. I hope with their marketing efforts they can fill the Eurodam to near capacity with the new itinerary. Each time I check, the list of available staterooms is shrinking.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the flyer RSVP was giving out at pride.

DSC_00871-e1350351989231.jpg

The Halloween Atlantis Cruise to the Mexican Riviera is on right now (It departed yesterday). I enjoyed their cruise a couple of years ago, and am considering something similar, although I might go on the RSVP Alaska Cruise even though it is the identical itinerary as a few years ago.

I was wondering if any of you have received emails from the cruisers on the Atlantis sailing with a "heads-up" on next years offerings. If you have, I'd love to hear about it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Peter

Hi Peter,

From the Atlantis Alumni boards, besides the already available 2013 itineraries of Asia, Australia, and Caribbean cruise in February and March, here are the latest itineraries that were offered to people who were on board the last med cruise.

Europe:

(End of August - Don't have dates in front of me) - Venice to Rome - Celebrity Silhouette - Ports: Dubrovnik, Montenegro, Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini, Naples and Ajaccio

(Dates: 09/05 - 09/15 - 10 days) - Amsterdam to Barcelona - Celebrity Constellation. Ports: Bordeaux, Bilbao, La Coruna (Santiago de Compostela), Lisbon (overnight), Cadiz, Ibiza (overnight) and Barcelona.

The ones above are confirmed as they were able to book on board. Not available to alumni or general sale yet.

There's also talk on the boards stating that Rich is also interested in doing another Seabourn cruise but no itinerary as of yet.

The October one from the last conversation seems to be up in the air, but people coming off of this week's cruise may have more information as it may be announced then. A survey was sent out a few weeks ago with three possible different itineraries:

1. 7-night cruise from New Orleans for Halloween 2013.

Sailing after the big New Orleans Halloween Party, departing Sunday night.

On the 2100-guest NCL Jewel.

Ports: Cozumel – Grand Cayman – Key West

Fares from: $599 Inside, $899 Outside, $1199 Balcony, $1599 Suite

2. 7-night cruise from Los Angeles in October 2013 on Carnival Miracle

The 2100-guest Miracle is the newest of the Carnival "Spirit-Class" ships and is packed with new features.

Ports: Cabo San Lucas – Puerto Vallarta

Fares from: $599 inside, $899 Outside, $999 Balcony

3. 7-night cruise from Port Canaveral (Orlando) in November 2013

On the 3700-guest Freedom of the Seas.

Ports: San Juan - Private Island - St. Maarten

Fares from: $999 inside, $1299 Outside, $1499 Balcony

This one is going to be interesting as I hope they don't give up the last remaining west coast cruise. But I can understand that the ship choices are becoming slim pickings. I believe I read that even the Carnival Splendor that they used for this years cruise is being repositioned next year.

Hi Peter,

The October one from the last conversation seems to be up in the air, but people coming off of this week's cruise may have more information as it may be announced then. A survey was sent out a few weeks ago with three possible different itineraries:

1. 7-night cruise from New Orleans for Halloween 2013.

Sailing after the big New Orleans Halloween Party, departing Sunday night.

On the 2100-guest NCL Jewel.

Ports: Cozumel – Grand Cayman – Key West

Fares from: $599 Inside, $899 Outside, $1199 Balcony, $1599 Suite

2. 7-night cruise from Los Angeles in October 2013 on Carnival Miracle

The 2100-guest Miracle is the newest of the Carnival "Spirit-Class" ships and is packed with new features.

Ports: Cabo San Lucas – Puerto Vallarta

Fares from: $599 inside, $899 Outside, $999 Balcony

3. 7-night cruise from Port Canaveral (Orlando) in November 2013

On the 3700-guest Freedom of the Seas.

Ports: San Juan - Private Island - St. Maarten

Fares from: $999 inside, $1299 Outside, $1499 Balcony

This one is going to be interesting as I hope they don't give up the last remaining west coast cruise. But I can understand that the ship choices are becoming slim pickings. I believe I read that even the Carnival Splendor that they used for this years cruise is being repositioned next year.

Thanks for the info, that's really nice of you! The LA/Cabo-PV cruise sounds interesting - what will be strange for me is that ALL of my cruises have been on Holland America so far (even the same stateroom, often). Might be time to exit my "comfort zone" and try a new line. I definitely don't want to travel to Florida for my 2nd cruise of the year, once is quite enough (I don't enjoy the long flight back to SFO, it seems to take an eternity). So it will be either Alaska in July on RSVP or October to Mexico on Atlantis for me!

Will you be onboard for the RSVP Feb 2013 Cruise? If so, I'd like to introduce myself at the CC meet and greet!

Peter

Peter:

Unfortunately I won't be on the RSVP cruise in February =( We were one of the groups on board who were on this year's Caribbean cruise, but the original itinerary didn't appeal to us, and booked an Atlantis cruise as a substitute. I also missed the CC meet and greet this year as I overslept on the pool deck, and also forgot to adjust the time on my watch.

I would love to be on the revised itinerary, but two trips in February would be out of the question. My dream cruise of Venice to Rome on Atlantis is happening next year, but even with them spaced apart would be too big of a hit to the pocket.

It's funny how perceptions can be different when flying. I felt getting there non-stop from SFO - FLL on Virgin took an eternity, and coming back even though it's takes longer went by faster.

I'm with you on the HAL ships as in terms of wanting to try a different cruise line. The Vista and Signature class layouts are too similar to each other IMHO, and I think other cruise lines are offering much more interesting takes on layouts of their ship and restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...
Final Payment was made a few weeks ago. Did anyone get their HAL booking number so we can start booking shore excursions and complete the online registration?

They will send out information about that a couple of weeks before the cruise. Excursion and other bookings open at a specific date and time and that is announced too.

Haven't done Alaska before and the RT Seattle airfare from SF won't break the bank. Cancelled the Atlantis Silhouette cruise in August from Venice to Rome for this one. Should be fun, and I'm sure someone will begin a Roll Call Thread eventually. Hope it sells out!

For those who have been on Alaska cruises - what's the expected weather and wardrobe for late July? Can't image there'll be much in-pool activity, but.... :)

Haven't done Alaska before and the RT Seattle airfare from SF won't break the bank. Cancelled the Atlantis Silhouette cruise in August from Venice to Rome for this one. Should be fun, and I'm sure someone will begin a Roll Call Thread eventually. Hope it sells out!

For those who have been on Alaska cruises - what's the expected weather and wardrobe for late July? Can't image there'll be much in-pool activity, but.... :)

Well, the Oosterdam does have a retractable roof on one of their pools!

Archived