Rsvp 2013

sej67

For those who have been on Alaska cruises - what's the expected weather and wardrobe for late July? Can't image there'll be much in-pool activity, but.... :)

It is Alaska... you will have weather!

The 2007 RSVP Alaska cruise was the second week of September. Juneau was rainy and cold (50's IIRC), Glacier Bay was 39°F and Sitka and Ketchikan was sunny with blue skies and in the 70's.

The Lido pool has a retractable roof and was closed (or mostly closed) on cold days. Leaving Sitka and Ketchikan (midday) we were lounging (and swimming) in the aft pool that is open. I came home with a sun tan.

They key to Alaska is to dress in layers; you may have to remove layers as the day progresses. Do take gloves and hat, and a warm/wind/water resistant jacket. It can get cold around the glaciers.

I don't recall much sun at all on that trip. I do remember some exciting swells, it was quite a ride. I found out that I am not prone to motion sickness, which I gather is a blessing.

Most of the events, including theme parties, were held indoors, either in the theater or in the Crows Nest. There was quite a bit of activity in the Disco.

I have videos of the water splashing out of the pool, it was quite dramatic!

Weather may be better this trip since it starts MUCH earlier in the season.

Peter-

We have booked Alaska along with Phil & Preston and Tom & Phong. I started an RSVP Alaska roll call yesterday. Ready to go again? We haven't been since 2007 RSVP Alaska Gold Rush.

Everyone else-this was a great trip in 2007. Peter is correct, we did have some weather. Cold and rain in Glacier Bay but Holland America does it with style. They provide blankets with the deck chairs and serve hot pea soup and..., and..., oh Peter, you love your cocktails, what was it they served? A warm toddy of some sort?;)

But even July in Alaska can have some of these :cool: days.

Archived