Civitavecchia Port Question

mdorbert

Will be on Breeze in Jun. We will be in Port at Civitavecchia for 2 days. Don't really want to get a hotel in Rome for the night, would rather take the fast train back and forth. Basically, would like to be able to spend day 1 in Rome, stay late into the evening, take the last train back to Civitavecchia, sleep on the ship and then return to Rome the next morning again.

If I take the late train from Rome back to Civitavecchia on the first day, will I be able to get back to the ship? In other words, how late do the cruise ship shuttle buses run? And will I even be able to get into the port?

I would imagine they would go pretty late if not all night. You just walk right into the area where the buses are that take you to the ship. I would check on this to make sure. Someone has to have the info.

Personally, if it was me, I would stay in a hotel near the city. The train is easy enough to do, but it is time consuming and hectic. The train station in Rome itself is kind of confusing and pretty big. I would just want to avoid the hassle. I have been to this port twice. The first time we did the train, the second we got together on our roll call and had a bus take us and pick us up. The bus was much better.

I would imagine they would go pretty late if not all night. You just walk right into the area where the buses are that take you to the ship. I would check on this to make sure. Someone has to have the info.

Personally, if it was me, I would stay in a hotel near the city. The train is easy enough to do, but it is time consuming and hectic. The train station in Rome itself is kind of confusing and pretty big. I would just want to avoid the hassle. I have been to this port twice. The first time we did the train, the second we got together on our roll call and had a bus take us and pick us up. The bus was much better.

The other things about the trains in Italy (and pretty much everywhere in Europe) is that they can be unreliable. They have strikes all the time that shut things down so your train could be delayed. You never really know when they will strike so it's a crap shoot. I would err on the side of caution.

Thanks for the replies... I'm still looking and trying to figure out how late we can come back to the ship. Even if I don't go back to Rome on the second day, I'd still ike to stay in Rome on day 1 for as long as I can... I'd love to get some night photos of some of the statues lit up at night! Being as we will be there on June 30 and July 1... That means it won't be dark until around 9pm. Hoping someone on here has some feedback about boading late at night.

Thanks again...

If you have an overnight in Civitavecchia, why not book a hotel in Rome and stay overnight there. You will save three hours using the train, stay as late as you want, and be there first thing in the morning on the second day. No worries about getting the train back on time , at night (Termini area at night is questionable) to make the last shuttle back to the ship. It is a very long walk with little room for pedestrians. My 2 cents worth.

You will be fine getting to and from the ship by train and the gangplank stays open overnight.

No need to pay for a hotel and the train is easy and cheap to do. You can get a BIRG ticket which is about 9 euros and good for train and metro/ bus for the day. Rome is easy to DIY and very walkable. Have done this many times. Just check the train times.

Your question confuses me but I think there should be a simple answer :confused:

Once off the train that evening, regardless of the time (10pm/11pm,etc)... you could always just take a taxi to the ship. There should be plenty waiting by the train station, even at a late hour, I would think.

Unless, of course, the ship doesn't allow you to return at late-late hours but I suppose I would think if you are there overnight, you could come and go as you please?? Surely they would have a small embarkation station manned for the entire time???

At the same time.. if the trains actually stop running at.. say... 11pm and they don't start again until... say 6am... then surely the ship knows that and will work the embark/debark times around those last trains??

Anyway, last resort... take the latest train possible into Civitavecchia and get a hotel room there, it would be cheaper than Rome.

I would look-up the Civitavecchia train routes/times but I'm sure you have already done so. Regardless, enjoy!

By the way, when we were in Rome we took a taxi to the Trevi Fountain "late" one night around 9:00pm and to our surprise, it was packed ~ there was a very large crowd drinking wine, eating gelato, taking pictures, and tossing coins!! What a wonderful surprise it was!! BEST EVENING OF OUR VACATION, FOR SURE!!!

Maryann2 and CupKayke... Thank you. That's what I was looking for... My biggest concern was that the Port Authority may shut the gates at a certain time and not provide shuttle service back to the ship... But it sounds like taxis are readily available... That's what we'll probably do.

CupKayke, Trevi Fountain on a summer night sounds awesome!

-Chelle

Will be on Breeze in Jun. We will be in Port at Civitavecchia for 2 days. Don't really want to get a hotel in Rome for the night, would rather take the fast train back and forth. Basically, would like to be able to spend day 1 in Rome, stay late into the evening, take the last train back to Civitavecchia, sleep on the ship and then return to Rome the next morning again.

If I take the late train from Rome back to Civitavecchia on the first day, will I be able to get back to the ship? In other words, how late do the cruise ship shuttle buses run? And will I even be able to get into the port?

I would check with romeinlimo(great tour business there) and have them

plansomething for you. If you can get 8 people together(maybe through the roll call), you could save money and see lots. We used them in 4 cities and there so very happy every time!!

Archived