S&S card :)

Ours91

I have a question about the S&S card. When people say that debit card is bad to put on the S&S card because it holds funds , does that mean it holds your entire debit card (bank account amount) or it holds like $200 per person of who's card it is. I do not have a credit card , just a debit card. Thank you :)

Carnival puts a hold on your card each day of the cruise to make sure you have the funds available for each days purchases. Once you have finished the cruise, your card will be charged for the full amount owed and any additional hold will be dropped in 48 hours.:)

Carnival puts a hold on your card each day of the cruise to make sure you have the funds available for each days purchases. Once you have finished the cruise, your card will be charged for the full amount owed and any additional hold will be dropped in 48 hours.:)

Will be supposedly dropped in 48 hours. Wells Fargo is one of those banks notorious for keeping holds for a week or more.

I can not afford $1000 worth of holds for a week, personally. I do not keep extra money in my account, it all goes into a savings account that isn't linked, so I can't spend it.

How much do they take(hold) for each day? Thank you.

at least the amount of the daily tips unless you have prepaid them, I too suggest-just do cash, Stop by the pursers desk once you board, and give them cash. enough to cover the tips and there is an ATM (granted you pay fees) but there is one on obard if you need to add more cash. :)

How much do they take(hold) for each day? Thank you.

The problem is NOT how much a cruiseline holds,,, the problem comes in when a financial institution doesn't "release" the holds for 7 to 10 days.

Now, I understand that 99 people will come on here and say"I've never had a problem". But that 1 person will post about their horror story.

Example of a worse case scenario

You have $1000 available on your debit card.

You check in on the ship and they put a $200 hold on your account to start your cruise. (You checking account now only has $800 available)

Day 2

After gratuities have hit you S&S account plus you had a couple of drinks and bought an excursion,, Your S&S balance is up to $175.

Carnival requests another $200 hold on your account

(Your checking account now only has $600 available.

Day 5, your S&S account is up to $380,, Carnival hits you account up for another $100 hold. (Your checking account now has $500 available)

End of cruise,, your total S&S bill is $495. Carnival hits your debit card with a $495 bill

$1000 starting balance

minus $500 in holds

minus $495 final charge

Total available in your account $5

Get back home to the airport, go to pay that $75 parking fee :eek:

When the holds will be released is completly up to whomever you bank with.

As stated,, 99 out of 100 don't have a problem. But if your that 1 person,,,, it's a biggie.

Thank you all-I am going to put cash down. Can I put $50 for myself and $50 for my boyfriend? Or do I need to put more? Thank you again :)

Unless you pre-paid gratuities, you need to put at least that amount then the $50. Otherwise when the tips hit the second day you're going to have a balance and be unable to use your card.

I also bank with Wells Fargo. I just got back from a cruise on Sensation yesterday. (I am still bummed and want to go back! :) Anyhow...they put a $50 hold on my card the day I boarded and it was taken off the next day. Believe it or not, we spent no money on the ship aside from gratuities and 2 shirts for the Groove for St Jude. The money has yet to be taken out of my account. It is a debit card (with a Visa logo of course). Hopefully this helps. Have fun!

I used my debit card (my account did not have a huge balance) without a problem. Carnival put a $200 hold on my card and that was it. The rest was just charged as I went. No additional hold was made.

how many people was that $200 hold for ?

It might vary some depending on your bank. My friend used her debit card for her s&s and ended up having to abandon an entire buggy of groceries when she got home because her debit card wouldn't work. She claims that she had enough money in her account to cover the s&s charges, the extra hold, and the groceries. I think it was several days before the hold was released.

Archived