TSA Regulations

kyriecat

My mom recently went through a very invasive and humiliating pat-down inspection at the airport. When we attempted to protest her treatment with the TSA supervisor, we were threatened with arrest if we did not drop the issue. Since that time, I have read the TSA guidelines and noted that the airport screeners violated several of them during the inspection process. I have attached the links the the TSA website. I think everyone should print these rules and bring copies when they travel. If your screener behaves in an inappropriate manner, you can show them in writing what your rights are.

General information:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=175

Pat-down information (how and what they can touch):

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=8&content=09000519800eb515

They've got all the power in that situation. If you want to make your plane, I don't think disputing the rules will help. Perhaps getting the screener's name and filing a complaint might have an effect.

I agree the TSA screeners have the power to detain you. However, I think knowing what they can and cannot do may help alleviate some of the abuses.

During my mother's inspection:

1. The screeners insisted that she had to undergo a private pat down search.

The guidelines state that she could request a pat-down (in private if requested) or a hand-held wand inspection. If we had known that the inspection did not have to be a pat-down or in private, the rest of the abuse may not have taken place. I, personally, think the screeners would be less likely to violate the rules if they have witnesses.

2. A person may have a companion present during the screening.

Both my sister and I were banned from the screening room. When we heard my mom crying inside, we requested entry and were threatened with arrest.

3. The inspectors are supposed to use the BACKS of their hands to inspect the female breast areas.

The inspector used her fingers on my mom's breasts, squeezing them hard enough to leave distinct finger-sized bruises.

4. The inspectors are supposed to use the BACKS of their hands to inspect the genital areas.

Again, the inspector used her fingers to probe.

The supervisor would not hear the complaints. She said the probing genital inspection was required because a knife could be concealed in that area. I thought that was entirely uncalled for (turns out, it is) and asked to speak to her supervisor. She then told me we could not speak with anyone above her and she could have us arrested if we continued to pursue the matter. I let it drop because my mom was so mortified that she never wants to fly again. This was her first flight experience since the WTC attacks.

Wow! I am so sorry for the ordeal your mom went through! Most definitely write or file a complaint. :mad: Thanks for sharing the websites and your experiences. Out of curiousity, which airport was it?

Again, please send TSA a complaint. I'll definitely have a printout handy when I am flying with my mother and grandmother for our upcoming cruise!

You are within your rights to request to speak to a TSA supervisor and/or request a complaint form. The TSA cannot "have you arrested" for this. This "inspector" was WAY out of line and her conduct is inexcusable. Personally, I would have welcomed the presence of a law enforcement officer - the person arrested in this instance may have been the TSA screener, certainly not you.

I hope you got this idiot's name and ID number. Write a letter to the Facility Security Director at the airport involved, detailing the incident, and copy the letter to your state Senators and Congressmen. Do NOT "let this drop"... from your account, this was not a pat-down search, this was deliberate abuse bordering on sexual assault.

Also, call TSA HQ at 1-866-289-9673 and ask for the Office of the Ombudsman. This office handles passenger complaints such as yours.

The flying public does not need power-tripping sadists masquerading as screeners in the name of "security". The sooner they are removed from their positions, the better.

I fly very frequently (over 100,000 miles per year). I have only been subjected to one pat down search and yes, it was UGLY. I have decided that if it ever happens again, I will request the private area (I thought it was a rule that all women were to be taken to the private area). As I enter the area, I will pull my top over my head and drop my Dockers. I will already have my blazer and shoes off as a result of the security line. Now I have two choices-either wear NO underwear until I get through security (in my carryon) or wear the most see through underwear I own. At that point, with me standing naked or almost naked, I would bet the TSA screener would tell me to put my clothes on and IMMEDIATELY leave the area.

I have yet to try this, but am prepared to do it on any flight.

Please make a complaint to TSA. The pat down search of women is the most complained about part of TSA procedures.

By all means contact TSA and file a complaint.:mad: Even if you don't know the name of the screener, as long as you have the location of the screening point, date and approximate time of the incident and at least a general description of the screener they "should" be able to ID the screener. They keep the schedule/roster of who's working when.:rolleyes: also CC your congressmen, the TSA Ombudsman as well as the local major market television stations if you feel the need.

The pat down search of women is the most complained about part of TSA procedures.
As usual, it completely beats me why the TSA can't get this simple thing right. Pat-down searches are done as a matter of total routine in so many airports around the world, in ways that give no cause for offence (except maybe to Diana Ross). Why is the TSA so incompetent at this? :mad:

My mom does not want to file a complaint because she feels she has been abused enough. The attitude of the supervisor at STL made her feel like a criminal and she just wants to forget the nightmare.

I would like the supervisor and inspector to get fired, but I won't risk further humiliation to my mom.

I have experienced an upper torso inspection twice, but never a genital inspection. The first time I elected to have the procedure in private. I think that was a mistake because the screener was overly thorough with my breasts (slight bruising). The second time I told the screener I did not want a private room, I wanted witnesses. She was thorough but did not leave marks. Neither time did the screeners use the backs of their hands.

The TSA is one of those organizations like the FBI or CIA - I don't know anyone who knows exactly what they can/cannot do. There was a story on one of the morning news shows last week about a 5 or 6 year old girl (I wish I had paid more attention) who was arrested at an airport (I think in Florida) because she made a comment about a gun while going through security.

kyriecat - I'm so sorry for this horrible experience. I can't imagine how your mom must have felt. However, by not filing a complaint, you are doing nothing to resolve the issue. I realize it's too late to change what happened to your mom, but it's no too late to perhaps prevent it from happening again to someone else. What if you fly back through that airport and are picked for a "pat-down" inspection by that same TSA agent? PLEASE...at least make the call, or file a written complaint. Perhaps you can make the call on her behalf? or file the written complaint on her behalf? If they do nothing, shame on them for not addressing the issue. The issue will never be addressed if the complaint is not raised.

I too am a frequent flyer (over 100K miles a year) and thankfully, nothing like this has ever happened to me.

Again, I am so sorry for your mom's experience, and also for your experiences in the past. It really is a shame we have such idiots "protecting and securing" the flying public.

Good luck!

Archived