Back from amazing cruise out of Dubai!

voyager70

Hi,

We recently returned from an amazing cruise on Brilliance of the Seas out of Dubai. Ports were Fujairah (didn't go ashore here), Muscat (overnight), Abu Dhabi and Dubai (overnight). Thanks to many posters who provided valuable information on the airport, things to do & see, and general info regarding the culture in this part of the world. I would highly recommend to anyone. I'll be happy to answer any questions! One little tidbit - we had no problems or issues with our over-the-counter meds in carry-ons. No questions asked, although the security at the Dubai airport on the return was tough to say the least. No less than three security checks including a thorough pat down for every man right at the gate and two passport control checks. My unopened bottle water was even taken away. Still, didn't detract from a truly wonderful time!

Hi,

We recently returned from an amazing cruise on Brilliance of the Seas out of Dubai. Ports were Fujairah (didn't go ashore here), Muscat (overnight), Abu Dhabi and Dubai (overnight). Thanks to many posters who provided valuable information on the airport, things to do & see, and general info regarding the culture in this part of the world. I would highly recommend to anyone. I'll be happy to answer any questions! One little tidbit - we had no problems or issues with our over-the-counter meds in carry-ons. No questions asked, although the security at the Dubai airport on the return was tough to say the least. No less than three security checks including a thorough pat down for every man right at the gate and two passport control checks. My unopened bottle water was even taken away. Still, didn't detract from a truly wonderful time!

We will be taking a cruise out of Dubai and have 3 days there prior. Any recommendations re hotels, restaurants, tours, etc? Is there a problem at the airport with prescription meds in carryons? Did you need a visa? So many questions - thanks in advance!

Lory

We will be taking a cruise out of Dubai and have 3 days there prior. Any recommendations re hotels, restaurants, tours, etc? Is there a problem at the airport with prescription meds in carryons? Did you need a visa? So many questions - thanks in advance!

Lory

Visa on arrival for US citizens. There is a wide variety to see and do in Dubai

A few recommendations:

If you are planning to visit Burj Khalifa, purchase your tickets for "At the Top" online. Tickets sell out fast and are much cheaper when purchased in advance. This is also a great area to stay in as there are many hotels and restaurants, the Dubai Fountains, Dubai Mall, Souk al Bahar, easy access to the metro station. The Palace Old Town and and The Address Downtown are both excellent 5-star properties surrounding the lake. If you don't want as much of a splurge, Al Manzil Hotel is a very good choice and across the street.

My favorite restaurants are Thiptara at The Palace Old Town with the best views of the fountains and serving Thai food. Other good choices with good fountain views are Mango and Rivington Grill in Souk al Bahar. Restaurants that are part of hotels are licensed. There are many excellent restaurants with views of the fountains in the Dubai Mall or Souk al Bahar that are unlicensed as well. Hukama at the Address Downtown has excellent Chinese cuisine and spectacular view of the Burj from its terrace. A lot of these restaurants have discount coupons in the Entertainer Fine Dining Book which can be purchased in the book store or grocery store inside Dubai Mall. Good idea to share a book with someone on your roll call perhaps.

Taxi's are cheap, clean, metered, and readily available in Dubai. Metro from this area can also take you to the old part of Dubai along the creek. Here you can visit Bastakiya area, the gold, textile, and spice souks and of course ride the abra across the creek for one dirham.

An easy cab ride will take you to Madinat Jumeirah which is next door to Burj al Arab (sail shaped hotel-need reservations to be on the property but many restaurants) and also has a souk, many restaurants, hotels, in a beautiful setting.

Prescription meds-carry in original packaging with your name on it. I have never had my carry-on items checked but you still want to be compliant with the law. I would not bring any medication with codeine.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit.

lilybob has posted some excellent advice. All I can add is that as an American travelling in the Middle East for the first time, there was never one instance where I didn't feel safe or welcome. We took taxis everywhere and the drivers were always polite & spoke very good English, no problems at all. Just be sure to respect the culture in terms of dress and public behavior. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are much more western than Oman, but proper etiquette still should be observed. We saw several people denied entry to the Grand Mosque in Muscat (men as well as women) because they were not properly dressed. If you plan to visit the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi they did provide black abayas for all the women and the men needed to be covered as well (no short pants, exposed shoulders or tattoos). The visit "At the Top" of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai is not to be missed! We stayed at the Four Points on Sheik Zayed Road which was a very nice hotel in the heart of the city, close to all the downtown attractions. If we go back I think we'll stay in the Jumeirah Beach or Dubai Marina area for a different experience (beautiful areas on or close to the the water with gorgeous beaches & hotels). Whatever you decide go with an open mind and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Visa on arrival for US citizens. There is a wide variety to see and do in Dubai

A few recommendations:

If you are planning to visit Burj Khalifa, purchase your tickets for "At the Top" online. Tickets sell out fast and are much cheaper when purchased in advance. This is also a great area to stay in as there are many hotels and restaurants, the Dubai Fountains, Dubai Mall, Souk al Bahar, easy access to the metro station. The Palace Old Town and and The Address Downtown are both excellent 5-star properties surrounding the lake. If you don't want as much of a splurge, Al Manzil Hotel is a very good choice and across the street.

My favorite restaurants are Thiptara at The Palace Old Town with the best views of the fountains and serving Thai food. Other good choices with good fountain views are Mango and Rivington Grill in Souk al Bahar. Restaurants that are part of hotels are licensed. There are many excellent restaurants with views of the fountains in the Dubai Mall or Souk al Bahar that are unlicensed as well. Hukama at the Address Downtown has excellent Chinese cuisine and spectacular view of the Burj from its terrace. A lot of these restaurants have discount coupons in the Entertainer Fine Dining Book which can be purchased in the book store or grocery store inside Dubai Mall. Good idea to share a book with someone on your roll call perhaps.

Taxi's are cheap, clean, metered, and readily available in Dubai. Metro from this area can also take you to the old part of Dubai along the creek. Here you can visit Bastakiya area, the gold, textile, and spice souks and of course ride the abra across the creek for one dirham.

An easy cab ride will take you to Madinat Jumeirah which is next door to Burj al Arab (sail shaped hotel-need reservations to be on the property but many restaurants) and also has a souk, many restaurants, hotels, in a beautiful setting.

Prescription meds-carry in original packaging with your name on it. I have never had my carry-on items checked but you still want to be compliant with the law. I would not bring any medication with codeine.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit.

Thanks for the great info! I'm a little disappointed I won't be able to go into the Burj Al Arab but everything else sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the great info! I'm a little disappointed I won't be able to go into the Burj Al Arab but everything else sounds wonderful.

Consider a splurge for High Tea at Burj al Arab. Check out the menu in the link. It will easily fill an afternoon and you can linger as long as you want and maybe catch the sunset with great views and delicious food. There are five rounds with unlimited opportunities to try different teas or coffees. a variety of mini sandwiches, scones, sweets, and a glass of bubbly. You will also get to see the beautiful atrium and take pictures. It is $115 but truly a great experience in an iconic building. Email for reservations.

http://www.jumeirah.com/en/Hotels-and-Resorts/Destinations/Dubai/Burj-Al-Arab/Restaurants-And-Nightlife/Skyview-Bar/

• 5 months later...

Can I take my 10 yr old duaghter for high tea?

She has cruised a few times and eaten in high end places... ie Ritz in London etc.

How long would you allow for the experience?

Thank you for any advice... Dubai cruises are all new to me... the ports, the places, the trips etc.

Can I take my 10 yr old duaghter for high tea?

She has cruised a few times and eaten in high end places... ie Ritz in London etc.

How long would you allow for the experience?

Thank you for any advice... Dubai cruises are all new to me... the ports, the places, the trips etc.

The link will show you the four different types of teas they currently offer at Burj al Arab. At one time you were not able to book the tea at the Skyview Bar with a minor. That may have changed as they now serve champagne at the Sahn Eddar lobby tea. Just email them for the current policy. I would allow two hours for the tea.

http://www.jumeirah.com/en/Hotels-and-Resorts/Destinations/Dubai/Burj-Al-Arab/Exclusive-Offers/Dining-Offers/Afternoon-Tea/

Be sure to check out the souk at Madinat Jumeirah which is in close proximity. You can request the "golf cart" transport or do a 10-15 minute stroll over to the property. It is a modern souk but very nice. Enjoy!

Archived