Concordia Salvage decision made: refloat and tow!

PelicanBill

Hi

Giglio news has posted this video

http://www.giglionews.it/2012043058563/news/isola-del-giglio/il-video-della-rimozione-del-relitto-concordia.html

Hope this helps quell the speculation and more important that the operation finally finds the two remaining victims

Clive

That is impressive and it will be very interesting to see it happen for real.

That is absolutely amazing.......its complicated as all get out' date=' yet simple and straight forward! now we can see where the $288mil is going!

Well Done Titan Group!:D

It will indeed be interesting to see how it goes.

AKK[/quote']

What amazes me about these types of massive jobs is how it all comes down to the smallest of tasks. While the 1000 foot view makes it look like an impossible thing to do, it's always the tiniest most mundane things that make or break the whole process.

I'm sure that Costa or the Salvage company has contracted or at least given permission to a documentary film crew. In matter of fact I would be shocked if they haven't been documenting the process since shortly after the accident.

While I'm very sad that people lost there lives and would rather this accident hadn't happened, the process of removing the ship and what happens to it is very interesting.

What amazes me about these types of massive jobs is how it all comes down to the smallest of tasks. While the 1000 foot view makes it look like an impossible thing to do, it's always the tiniest most mundane things that make or break the whole process.

I'm sure that Costa or the Salvage company has contracted or at least given permission to a documentary film crew. In matter of fact I would be shocked if they haven't been documenting the process since shortly after the accident.

While I'm very sad that people lost there lives and would rather this accident hadn't happened, the process of removing the ship and what happens to it is very interesting.

I would think that now that the contract is agreed to and signed off....the details really don't have to be kept secret.......with all the parties involved in approving the plan.....it would be hard to keep it so secret. In Fact that bit of footage was so very well done and may have originally done with Titan, to help explain there plan during the approval process.

You are of course very correct.......this will be a closly followed recovery.......and the lifes lost will tend to be slowly pushed to the background and forgotten.

I hope they find the last two bodies......at least for the families sake, but they may not be on the ship anymore.

AKK

I hope that you all will continue to post here with updates. I've been following this from the beginning, and find your insights and links to be fascinating. There's much to be learned from the tragedy, straight through to the eventual resolution. A final documentary would be a fitting tribute to the lives lost.

JoyceG

Whilst I dont have enough knowledge to contribute as much as others to the technical aspects, I will do my best to provide links such as Giglio.

I am looking forward to the recovery of the two remaining victims, the recovering of the wreck and the trial(s) of those reponsible for this tragedy.

My point in this discussion is that the level of expertise involved with the Costa Concordia salvage far exceeds that in the attempted salvage of the Normandie. The only companies in the United States that regularly undertook salvage jobs under Lloyd's Open Form Contract were on the Great Lakes. Great Lakes Towing and Roen Steamship both did this sort of work for many years. They almost always succeeded.

Merrit, Chapman & Scott, a marine construction company, dabbled in salvage operations on a per hour basis. This is a sign of a company lacking both expertise and daring. Lloyd's Open Form starts out saying in very bold letters, "No cure, No pay." Real salvage firms love the risk-reward ratio of this contract.

Doc

When we were assembling to enter the Suez canal recently there was a ship of the Big Lift line waiting. Wondered if she could have been bound for the Concordia. Anyone know what sort of work she would do?

David.

I think the idea of making the wreck a "Disneyland" for Divers is frankly disgusting remembering 32 human beings died on Concordia.

Meanwhile there was a meeting to dicuss the removal with the islanders was held yesterday and Giglio news has posted this report with the usual apology for the translation.

http://www.giglionews.it/2012050458575/news/isola-del-giglio/autorizzazioni-rimozione-concordia-qtutto-procedeq.html#comments

Best Wishes

Clive

This diver is an idiot!

Sadly, it is not just about those that died, but mitigating damages from a financial standpoint. Whether put back into service or sold for scrap, there's still millions of $ sitting there.

Here is some more info on the salvage operation. It appears as an attachment in comments to what I posted earlier.

The bad news is that it is Italian and my laptop cant translate it.

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/commenti_mammoet040512.pdf

Hope someone is capable of letting us know if the info is useful . Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Clive

This diver is an idiot!

Sadly, it is not just about those that died, but mitigating damages from a financial standpoint. Whether put back into service or sold for scrap, there's still millions of $ sitting there.

I totally agree Lou..........

Over and above how disgusting the idea is, there is the fact that it would be very expensive!

1. It takes a year or 2 to find the right place to set a dive ship and get all the goverment permits.

2. The hull has to be prepared.....remove all toxins........oil, paints......dangerous materials, glass, etc, etc......clean out any and all things that could trap a diver........cut properly positioned and sized openings into the hull.....prepare a explosives plan to sink the hull upright and in the proper place.

3. This costs millions to do.!

The media just keeps embaressing themselves with a lack of knowledge and poor reporting/rescreach!

AKK

I think the idea of making the wreck a "Disneyland" for Divers is frankly disgusting remembering 32 human beings died on Concordia.

Meanwhile there was a meeting to dicuss the removal with the islanders was held yesterday and Giglio news has posted this report with the usual apology for the translation.

http://www.giglionews.it/2012050458575/news/isola-del-giglio/autorizzazioni-rimozione-concordia-qtutto-procedeq.html#comments

Best Wishes

Clive

People die on ships all of the time. Natural and unnatural. It's just a ship. Should all ships on which someone died be turned into some type of memorial?

I have never personally suggested that the wreck become a memorial, but the idea of her becoming the "Disneyland for divers" I find abhorrant.

I have suggested that the rock still inside the hull and caused the problem would make a perfect memorial the those who lost their lives.

I have never been on a cruise ship yet that didnt have at leaast one death, usually from natural causes.

I have never personally suggested that the wreck become a memorial, but the idea of her becoming the "Disneyland for divers" I find abhorrant.

I have suggested that the rock still inside the hull and caused the problem would make a perfect memorial the those who lost their lives.

I have never been on a cruise ship yet that didnt have at leaast one death, usually from natural causes.

hi Clive and anna.

Its really not worth the fight on the divers thing. It will never happen becuase it will cost to much and its way to soon after the deaths.

I do like the idea of the rock as a marker and memorial on the rocky coast where the wreck is.

AKK

I agree.

I want the wreck refloated to give a better chance of finding the two victims still missing. Quite frankly after that I dont really care.

If it is scrapped so be it, if it is repaired so be it but to make it a driving wreck would be like making a graveyard into a playground.

I totally agree Lou..........

Over and above how disgusting the idea is' date=' there is the fact that it would be very expensive!

1. It takes a year or 2 to find the right place to set a dive ship and get all the goverment permits.

2. The hull has to be prepared.....remove all toxins........oil, paints......dangerous materials, glass, etc, etc......clean out any and all things that could trap a diver........cut properly positioned and sized openings into the hull.....prepare a explosives plan to sink the hull upright and in the proper place.

3. This costs millions to do.!

The media just keeps embaressing themselves with a lack of knowledge and poor reporting/rescreach!

AKK[/quote']

Indeed, TS! Ya' still have to re-float it, get out safe contents and personal belongings and other valuables, and then prepare it for sinking. Look, this has been done on military ships of much smaller size, including aircraft carriers, but to make it into an artificial reef or diving center would be prohibitively expensive.

As to the two still missing: Maybe they will be found, maybe they won't. If they are within the hull, they will be found, if not, they could be in deep water miles away.

Let me remind all of this ship, which still sails today. Lives were lost on her too. Of course, she has since been dramatically rebuilt.

deep_descent_stockholm_2.jpg

800px-Athena_%28ship%2C_1948%29_IMO_5383304%3B_in_Split%2C_2011-10-22_%282%29.jpg

Wreck dives ARE "Disneyland for Divers". To be able to dive on a sunken ship is pretty awesome. I've done it twice and I highly recommend it.

Once the remains are removed, it's just a hull not a tomb.

I have no wish to continue a conversation with you Host Mick.

I wont be contributing to this thread again

You and Host Mick disagree on what should be done. I don't think you should let that stop you from posting here. You've contributed some good links to this thread. I'd hate to lose that.

However if you were to think this ship would/could be repaired, as shown in the pix loubetti posted of another ship and put back out as a cruise ship, it would then become a playground of sorts once again.

You have mentioned the rock being placed as a memorial. I think that is a great idea. However I disagree with your wording that the rock caused the problem. The problem was caused by a Captain that lacked leadership skills and common sense.

You and Host Mick disagree on what should be done. I don't think you should let that stop you from posting here. You've contributed some good links to this thread. I'd hate to lose that.

However if you were to think this ship would/could be repaired, as shown in the pix loubetti posted of another ship and put back out as a cruise ship, it would then become a playground of sorts once again.

You have mentioned the rock being placed as a memorial. I think that is a great idea. However I disagree with your wording that the rock caused the problem. The problem was caused by a Captain that lacked leadership skills and common sense.

I had a poll up about what should be done with that rock. It was too soon so we pulled it. Making a memorial out of it was leading the poll with about 55% of the vote.

Archived