Concordia Salvage decision made: refloat and tow!

PelicanBill

Tonka ... I think the word you are looking for is Parbuckling ... :) which can work with any intact ship which Concrodia is.

The removal of the Concordia wreckage will commence in May, so said Fabriziu Curicu at a pressconference on Thrusday in Giglio. From the list of salvage companies who have been asked to submit their bids, 2 pair has been short listed. SMIT & NIRO, an italian Comany at the one hand and TITAN SALVAGE USA with MICOPERI also an Italian outfit.

A CC poster has a BIL that works for Titan..sorry, I can not remember the screen name. However, the BIL went to the Concordia hours after the diaster. It would be nice if the poster could give us some more first hand info?? Hint, hint.

Sorry Doc' date=' I disagree.......

1. The final contract plans are each 2 firms working together, one team is proposing a cutting up pf the wreck. The Italian goverment agencies.want is out as fast as poossible and whole is possible as it will be the best ro prevent dibris on the bootm that will be hard to recover.

I don't beleive any 100,000 ton container ships have ever been salvaged however there have been some big ships that have been successfully righted with the derrick system. I have worked with 2 wrecks that the derrick righting system was used and its amazing how good these salvage firms are at thier *ART*.

You are totally correct that it is *a* proven system but the salavage firms have lots of tricks in thier basket.

In this case there are other issues like the damages to the stbd side, the bottom areas not examined, not to mention the gear needed to hold the wreck in place and prevent it from sliding into deep water.

I am not saying it won't work or it's not the best plan. I am saying we don't have all the details and information the salvage companies have in developing thier plans.

In any case, as you pointed out we shall see soon......either way it is going to be a massive task.....:eek:

AKK[/quote']

You are wrong as you can be. Every article I have gleaned, either on paper or on the internet has said that the ship will be removed intact and taken to a yard where a determination of its repairablility will be determined. Read the attached at the end of this screed.

The only company that was publicly proclaiming that the ship could not be salvaged and had to be cut up in place was Tromp, a relatively minor player in the huge Dutch towing and salvage industry.

To cut this ship up in place would, in my estimation, be a very long term project, probably lasting the best part of two years. This is based on the fact that it took about six months to cut up the beached S. S. Norway at Alang, India. To cut a huge ship up in the open ocean would be a daunting task, indeed. It also is highly dangerous to the environment, while removing the ship in one piece much less hazardous. Thus, the Italian officials, who do have to approve the plan, have been insisting for several weeks that it must be refloated and taken to a shipyard.

The low-ball price of salvage is about $150 million. The high number, which came from Tromp was $275 million. The replacement value of the ship is over $ 1 billion. If one can salvage the ship for, say, $200 million and refurbish it for a like sum, some company will have a bargain on a very nice cruise ship.

Doc

PS: There used to be a video on the web (which is no longer available) of the salvage of a 98,000 ton container ship that capsized in Madrid about 20 years ago.

You are wrong as you can be. Every article I have gleaned, either on paper or on the internet has said that the ship will be removed intact and taken to a yard where a determination of its repairablility will be determined. Read the attached at the end of this screed.

The only company that was publicly proclaiming that the ship could not be salvaged and had to be cut up in place was Tromp, a relatively minor player in the huge Dutch towing and salvage industry.

To cut this ship up in place would, in my estimation, be a very long term project, probably lasting the best part of two years. This is based on the fact that it took about six months to cut up the beached S. S. Norway at Alang, India. To cut a huge ship up in the open ocean would be a daunting task, indeed. It also is highly dangerous to the environment, while removing the ship in one piece much less hazardous. Thus, the Italian officials, who do have to approve the plan, have been insisting for several weeks that it must be refloated and taken to a shipyard.

The low-ball price of salvage is about $150 million. The high number, which came from Tromp was $275 million. The replacement value of the ship is over $ 1 billion. If one can salvage the ship for, say, $200 million and refurbish it for a like sum, some company will have a bargain on a very nice cruise ship.

Doc

PS: There used to be a video on the web (which is no longer available) of the salvage of a 98,000 ton container ship that capsized in Madrid about 20 years ago.

Sorry..you are entitled to your opinon as am I.

Please note I never said refoating the wreck was not possoble. I only said it not the only way.

Smit is also has a plan to cut her up if thats what the powers what. I also think to say that cutting the wreck up inthe ocean is a harder task then refloating her is to not understand the whole situation. Please not both plans are listing a 1 year recovery.

We do agree that the envoremnt is a major issue. But no whee has anyone reqiured the wreck to be towed to a shipyard.....and no one excpet on the blogs still hold any hope that the wreck will be rebuilt as a cruise ship ........if they are successfull in refloating she will be scrapped.

$200 million to rebiult her?????..It would cost more to rebiuld the wreck then biuld a new ship...........sorry doc..that is a plain silly figure!......after a year in the sea water, there will be nothing left whorth saving of the wreck.

Any way time will tell.

PS Please don't put alot of faith in the media articlas........thats the media dreaming up stuff to say with little or not facts...and oute from people like ma who has little to say in the issue anymore.

AKK

PS The ship your thinking about was a container ship, 48,000 tons, in a seltered harbor and was listing againist a convently placed pier. The contianers were off loaded which is routine with container ships refloating, making the ship much lighter and relatively easy to right, as in this case.

Nothing remotely near 100,000 tons or like the Concordia.

Tonka ... I think the word you are looking for is Parbuckling ... :) which can work with any intact ship which Concrodia is.

The removal of the Concordia wreckage will commence in May, so said Fabriziu Curicu at a pressconference on Thrusday in Giglio. From the list of salvage companies who have been asked to submit their bids, 2 pair has been short listed. SMIT & NIRO, an italian Comany at the one hand and TITAN SALVAGE USA with MICOPERI also an Italian outfit.

A CC poster has a BIL that works for Titan..sorry, I can not remember the screen name. However, the BIL went to the Concordia hours after the diaster. It would be nice if the poster could give us some more first hand info?? Hint, hint.

Hello there Indydenise,

Parbuckling is a old term but it was indeed the name that I was trying to remember.

In every one of these cases I have worked on the salvage firms keep their plans and information very close to the vest ......until they lay them out to be considerred and I was surprized the BIL of the poster you mentioned was permitting him to post all the details so early in the planning stage. In fact I asked him if his BIL knew he was posting it all. I never got a response and never saw another post.

AKK

In every one of these cases I have worked on the salvage firms keep their plans and information very close to the vest ......until they lay them out to be considerred and I was surprized the BIL of the poster you mentioned was permitting him to post all the details so early in the planning stage. In fact I asked him if his BIL knew he was posting it all. I never got a response and never saw another post.

AKK

Darn, it would be nice to have first hand facts!

Maybe if Titan gets the contract and operations are underway we can get some tidbits of info!..now, if I could just remember who it was...:eek:

I want to see the boulder when it is removed from the hull.

I want it measured and weighed. How big is that sucker?? :eek:

It is something like 3 or 4 decks, so at least 10m high. It's a massive rock, makes you appreciate how powerful the ship is to break it off.

The current plan is to tow it to an Italian shipyard and evaluate if it can or should be repaired. If Titan's man on the scene had a ball park figure for costs, it may well be repaired and either sold to another operator or returned to service. We will see what we will see as the salvage operation ramps up.

Doc

When/if floating the wreck will need to go to a marine facility, evalutated for number of issues.

1. What future use?

2. Reqiurements to make the werck stabe/safe to be towed whatever shipyard maybe is used to repair it for another use..

3.Reqiurements to make the wrech stable/safe to be towed to the breakers, somewhere in the world.

I did find it a bit odd all the reports say a* italian port*and not a shipyard.

Also this all has to be appoved by Italian authorities, which I would gues should not be a major prolbem as they would have been studing this plans along with everyone else.

AKK

When/if floating the wreck will need to go to a marine facility' date=' evalutated for number of issues.

1. What future use?

2. Reqiurements to make the werck stabe/safe to be towed whatever shipyard maybe is used to repair it for another use..

3.Reqiurements to make the wrech stable/safe to be towed to the breakers, somewhere in the world.

I did find it a bit odd all the reports say a* italian port*and not a shipyard.

Also this all has to be appoved by Italian authorities, which I would gues should not be a major prolbem as they would have been studing this plans along with everyone else.

AKK[/quote']

I would guess the tow to port is either a typo, or a stop for structural reinforcement as was done with pasha bulker before towing to a dry dock, likely one of Fincantieri's shipyards a few hundred miles away.

Unlike most cargo ship wrecks, there are many things that must be done before putting the former concordia up for auction,

Primarily removing and making an attempt to return passenger belongings, and items still belonging to costa/carnival and any subcontractors, and the multitude of rooms on the ship will slow this down.

In addition i would expect Fincantieri, carnival, and class societys will want a chance to examine the wreck in detail before it is either dismantled or rebuilt, so I doubt it will be leaving italy in a hurry even if it does end up in alang.

Wherever it is initially towed to is likely also going to have to cope with the smell, while fish have likely eaten most rotting items, there is likely still going to be enough to reek once it is exposed to dry air.

Well, we will see - but I think it is not impossible to repair it!

Oh, it is perfectly possible to repair it. The question is whether it is cost effective. All of the machinery/engines will have to be removed for repair, and pretty much most of the stuff that isn't the steel will have to replaced. There will be water everywhere, in ducting, behind the wall panels, not to mention all the water that will seep into the other half of the ship once it has been refloated. The steel on the starboard side will have been crushed and deformed from the weight of the ship on the rocks. All the cabins on the starboard side will need to be replaced. If they do decide to refit, the amount of work Fincantieri will have to do will be like a newbuild.

Well, we will see - but I think it is not impossible to repair it!

Celebrity fan , you so want the ship to be repaired and for your sake if no other reasons, I really hope somehow they do!...but littlesteelo is so right.....its just not ecomonically likely to happen!

AKK

I would guess the tow to port is either a typo, or a stop for structural reinforcement as was done with pasha bulker before towing to a dry dock, likely one of Fincantieri's shipyards a few hundred miles away.

Unlike most cargo ship wrecks, there are many things that must be done before putting the former concordia up for auction,

Primarily removing and making an attempt to return passenger belongings, and items still belonging to costa/carnival and any subcontractors, and the multitude of rooms on the ship will slow this down.

In addition i would expect Fincantieri, carnival, and class societys will want a chance to examine the wreck in detail before it is either dismantled or rebuilt, so I doubt it will be leaving italy in a hurry even if it does end up in alang.

Wherever it is initially towed to is likely also going to have to cope with the smell, while fish have likely eaten most rotting items, there is likely still going to be enough to reek once it is exposed to dry air.

You just about have it right on..but I read awhile back, that the hull underwirters have paid Costa the insured value of the vessel, so I am not sure if Costa actually owns it anymore. It would depend on the policy.

As for the tow...there most of the underwater holes will be patched in order to succeed at the refloating attempt. However additional patching and strengthening will need to be done both for the tow to the italian port and for the tow to the breakers or rebiulders.

I still don't think she will be rebuilt, but there is a possiblity that she maybe rebuilt into another type of vessel, as least a small chance.

You are also right on in that that wreck will be examined/inspected with a fine tooth brush by many parties.!

AKK

Some of the ports in Italy are where Fincantieri have their yards such as Genoa where NeoRomantica was altered, Marghera near Venice and of course Monfalcone where it was built. The salvage teams also have the possibility of loading Concordia into a floating drydock which could then be towed to any of the above yards.

With regards to Concordia being used again well over £500 million for a New build or around £300 to £350 million to repair! all depends on the Insurance company and whether Costa and Carnival along with other interested parties want to buy it back and repair it.

Some of the ports in Italy are where Fincantieri have their yards such as Genoa where NeoRomantica was altered, Marghera near Venice and of course Monfalcone where it was built. The salvage teams also have the possibility of loading Concordia into a floating drydock which could then be towed to any of the above yards.

With regards to Concordia being used again well over £500 million for a New build or around £300 to £350 million to repair! all depends on the Insurance company and whether Costa and Carnival along with other interested parties want to buy it back and repair it.

hey there Sidera

I didnt know Fincanteiri had that many yards...see I Learn something every day! However there is no way a drydock big enough for the Concorndia would be towed to the site and the hull set on it......just not going to happen, no one would would take the chance of the drydock being damaged.

That hull even afloat would be unstable......the bottom is severely damaged and misshapen. ......It would be a miracle to get it positioned and blocked properly, not to mention the stress on the drydock at sea, to tow it to a yard.

I know there are floating dry docks big enough to lift her, but I don't know if they are suitable to be towed with her on the drydock.

I wonder where you got those repair figures?.....As the concordia cost $600 mil 8 years ago(and that as modular construction, which is alot cheaper then biiulding in a already built hull)....Today a new concordia type is more like $750Mil........add in the costs to strip the wreck to the bare hull, and the hull repairs(remember that is a severly damaged steel hull and add the removal of the rust and scale and recoating the structure and all tanks etc), biuld a ship in the hull, the 350 pounds just seems pie in the sky......at least thats what is being discussed in the industry.

AKK

You just about have it right on..but I read awhile back' date=' that the hull underwirters have paid Costa the insured value of the vessel, so I am not sure if Costa actually owns it anymore. It would depend on the policy.

AKK[/quote']

From what I read, the insurance may not have covered some of the furnishings, and decor, some of which included expensive paintings which will undoubtedly be restored if they have not already been stolen.

I would also expect the propellers to be sold back to carnival if undamaged

Costa itself never owned the ship but leased it from the carnival holding corporation that owns all of the carnival brands.

as far as supporting the ship in a drydock, it appears that a cradle will be built on the seabed to roll it onto befor it is patched, so I would assume that a similar structure could be built in a graving dock or floating drydock.

Though I dont see why one would bother to bring the drydock to the ship, when the ship can be towed to the palomera or Sestri Ponente shipyards where it is likely to end up anyway for the duration of any examinations

Tonka ... £350 million is around $500 million and £500 million is around $650/700 million depending on the bank rate.

rubicondsrv .... where did you get the cradle info from ? or is that a guess at something you think may happen ? i am not sure that Sestri or Palomera would be able to accomodate Concordia but i will try contact a friend who works at Fincantieri and ask!

As we announced two days ago, Costa Crociere officially announced today that the tender for the removal of the wreck of Concord was won by the U.S. company Titan Salvage, in collaboration with the Italian Micoperi. The work, which must be approved by the Italian authorities, will begin in May. Expected to last 12 months

Titan Salvage is a U.S. company owned by the Crowley Group, world leader in the recovery of wrecks. Micoperi is an Italian company that has extensive experience in underwater construction and engineering. Once stated in the conditions of floating, the wreck will be towed to an Italian port.

"Every other subsequent decision regarding the wreck - said Costa Cruises - will be taken in compliance with the requirements of the Italian authorities."

The plan was chosen by a Technical Evaluation Committee, composed of experts representing Costa Cruises, Carnival Corporation & plc, London Offshore Consultants and Standard P & I Club

"Although all six floors, reached by the deadline of March 3, 2012 were of high quality - underlined Coast - the Technical Evaluation Committee has preferred to Titan Salvage / Micoperi because it responds more to the main requirements: complete removal of the wreck; little risk as possible; least possible environmental impact, tourism and economic protection of the Island of Giglio; safety of our operations. "

"Environmental protection has top priority throughout the duration of operations. Once removed, you will clean the waters and the restoration of the marine flora": Costa Cruises has stated that the task for formalizing removal of the ship was given to Titan / Micoperi.

"The plan - said the company - also includes measures to safeguard the economic and tourist activities on the island of Giglio. The presence of staff who will work to asbestos removal will have no significant effect on the receptivity summer island". The operational base will be outside the island, close to Civitavecchia, where we will collect equipment and materials needed for the interventions, so as to avoid any impact on the activities of the Marina del Giglio.

The president and CEO of Costa Crociere, Pierluigi Foschi, assured that the solution found for the removal of the Costa Concordia was chosen because it was deemed "the best safeguard for the island of Giglio and its marine environment" and return the island its "tourist

From Giglio News.

There appears to be a meeting on Giglio where Costa big noises will outline the plan.

Maybe this meeting will answer some of the questions about the recovery.

Hopefully I have posted the link correctly.

There is also the CEO of Costa Crociere Pierluigi Foschi this afternoon at 14 in the Council Chamber at the Rocca Aldobrandesca in Giglio Castello along with the Deputy Commissioner of the emergency Government Concordia, Franco Gabrielli, for the usual weekly meeting with the citizens of Isola del Giglio.

During the meeting with the population will be shown in the details of the Consortium's Project Titan-Micoperi which is winner in the tender for the removal of the wreck of Concordia. Will illustrate the project phases that will affect the island in the coming months and will provide the appropriate answers to questions that the municipal administration and citizenship will take place

Archived