Sapphire iguana situation

Caribbophile

I've read several posts that Sapphire Beach has lots of iguanas & they get "up close & personal." I know many people like them & they are harmless but I can't help being fearful & squeamish. On previous trips to St. Thomas I saw them around the island, but never crawling on the sand at the beaches I've been to (Trunk Bay and Magens Bay). Was hoping to try Sapphire this time but now nervous about it. How "overrun" is Sapphire, will the iguanas crawl right up to you on the sand, etc? Sorry I sound like such a baby about this, just want to hear what others have experienced at Sapphire with these creatures.

No worries! They aren't on the beach as much as it sounds. You may see one or two near a tree or brush and if you feed them they will pay attention to you. But they don't crawl all over the beach and come up to you, they are generally very aloof.

I wouldn't recommend wearing bright red nail polish though because they do like cherries - :eek:

I wouldn't recommend wearing bright red nail polish though because they do like cherries - :eek:

LOL!

I like the iguanas as long as I don't have to touch them. They seem to like having their picture taken. I took a few last week at Coral World.

Thanks everyone. I was almost tempted to do Magen's again because in 3 times there I never saw an iguana on the beach. But I really wanted to do Sapphire this time. That is one brave lady in that picture feeding the iguana! They look scary to me, can't help it. Hope Sapphire has beach chair rental as I'll feel more secure rather than a towel in the sand lol.:eek:

We went to Sapphire beach last summer. Beautiful place. There were quite a few iguanas around. I never saw any near the water- they were where the tress and grassy areas are. They didn't bother us but walked by pretty close. They can be pretty intimidating looking though, in my opinion. We just ignored them and they left us alone. One tip though, do not, I repeat, do not sit under a tree. They lay in the trees and iguana droppings are pretty big and messy. We weren't hit by anything but it was a close call. We could see droppings fall quite a bit. We did find a small tree to sit under that we deemed iguana free after carefully inspecting it. Just be sure one does not climb the tree or you probably will want to find a new spot:eek:

Tina

Thanks everyone. I was almost tempted to do Magen's again because in 3 times there I never saw an iguana on the beach. But I really wanted to do Sapphire this time. That is one brave lady in that picture feeding the iguana! They look scary to me, can't help it. Hope Sapphire has beach chair rental as I'll feel more secure rather than a towel in the sand lol.:eek:

Really a non-issue.

Lounge, snorkel gear, and floatie rentals are available at the dive center, excellent mahi sandwiches at the little Banana Cabana stand.

Enjoy your day on beautiful Sapphire beach!

We went to Sapphire beach last summer. Beautiful place. There were quite a few iguanas around. I never saw any near the water- they were where the tress and grassy areas are. They didn't bother us but walked by pretty close. They can be pretty intimidating looking though, in my opinion. We just ignored them and they left us alone. One tip though, do not, I repeat, do not sit under a tree. They lay in the trees and iguana droppings are pretty big and messy. We weren't hit by anything but it was a close call. We could see droppings fall quite a bit. We did find a small tree to sit under that we deemed iguana free after carefully inspecting it. Just be sure one does not climb the tree or you probably will want to find a new spot:eek:

Tina

Thanks. I like to stay in the sun or the water. It's my husband who likes the shade of trees so I'll warn him lol.

Really a non-issue.

Lounge, snorkel gear, and floatie rentals are available at the dive center, excellent mahi sandwiches at the little Banana Cabana stand.

Enjoy your day on beautiful Sapphire beach!

Thanks blue water. I was nervous when I saw that photo of the lady feeding the iguana in the sand. I like to walk along the beach near the water & was worrying about them running across my path & scaring the crap out of me lol.:)

lol...

That happens with the little geckos on Tortola, my wife gets startled at least 5 times as she makes her way from the room to the car! :eek:

Lol, every time we stayed at a Caribbean resort my husband would point out all the geckos he spots when he knows I'm nervous about them & would rather not see them. But they're less scary than those iguanas!:eek:

We have stayed at Sapphire twice now. There are iguanas in the trees and on the sand, but they don't bother anyone. I watched one go under a lounger, across the top of a lady's towel (while she was laying on it) and crawl up a tree. The man in the lounger and the woman on the towel never noticed the iguana. My DH asked why I was no longer scared of them (use to run from/or avoid them). I told them that I had "made peace with the lizards, big and small."

We have stayed at Sapphire twice now. There are iguanas in the trees and on the sand, but they don't bother anyone. I watched one go under a lounger, across the top of a lady's towel (while she was laying on it) and crawl up a tree. The man in the lounger and the woman on the towel never noticed the iguana. My DH asked why I was no longer scared of them (use to run from/or avoid them). I told them that I had "made peace with the lizards, big and small."

That kinda freaks me out, the idea one would crawl across a towel I'm laying on! I don't know how that woman could not notice it, we're not talking small insect here but a decent sized reptile! It sounds too easy just to decide to "make peace" with something you are scared of, wish I knew how to do it.:confused:

when we were just there - maybe 3/29 or 30, lost track of the days, lol,

there was one rather large iguana on the beach, but, as others said, he was closer to the trees, grasss area, not close to the water.

I was sitting on a lounge chair half under a small tree and he came up to the foot of the lounge. He looked at me, and looked like he was licking his lips. I think he was looking for hand-outs.

I didn't give him anything and he strolled away and went to the next lounge chair that was under a tree.

I always like to sit very close to the water anyway so I'm hoping there will be less iguana-spotting there. I was going to just rent a floaty instead of a chair because I can lie on the sand on it plus use it in the water but from the sound of it I may need the chair lol. Thanks everyone for your input, even TwoPinaColadas whose post was scary to me!

We only seen one actually on the beach when we were there and the poor thing only had 3 legs. :( He just kind of sat there while everyone was around him taking pictures and staring. He didn't bother anyone and all the ones we seen that day just kind of sat there not moving much.

Most were up in the grape trees along the water front just napping. :)

We only seen one actually on the beach when we were there and the poor thing only had 3 legs. :( He just kind of sat there while everyone was around him taking pictures and staring. He didn't bother anyone and all the ones we seen that day just kind of sat there not moving much.

Most were up in the grape trees along the water front just napping. :)

Thanks mitsugirly. That sounds more reassuring than the last couple of posts about iguanas crawling on people's towels, staring at them licking their lips, etc.

staring at them licking their lips, etc.

LOL I had to chuckle at this. I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

Here's my review of Sapphire if you are interested in reading it. It has some pictures of the iguanas and tons of others. Sapphire is a BEAUTIFUL beach and we can't wait to go back. I call it our little slice of heaven. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

LOL I had to chuckle at this. I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

Here's my review of Sapphire if you are interested in reading it. It has some pictures of the iguanas and tons of others. Sapphire is a BEAUTIFUL beach and we can't wait to go back. I call it our little slice of heaven. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

Lol, that was a previous poster who mentioned that an iguana was at the foot of her chair, watching her & licking his lips (that was supposed to reassure me:eek:). Just read your great review. Thanks.

Lol, that was a previous poster who mentioned that an iguana was at the foot of her chair, watching her & licking his lips (that was supposed to reassure me:eek:). Just read your great review. Thanks.

No problem. I hoe you have a wonderful time. Next time I go, I could only hope one would come up to me, but they just didn't seem too interested in us last time we were there (other than watching us). I would definitely find him something to eat. :D

We did notice many large iguana’s running around on the beach--but it is true they hung out by the trees. We did not notice any iguana's coming down to the water!

My son chased this iguana right up a tree!

CarnivalVictoryCruise526-1.jpg

My youngest son was fascinated by them and enjoyed following them around. He even had one of those friendly visitors come right up to him begging for Cheerios!

CarnivalVictoryCruise533.jpg

Although the iguana's look intimidating, they really only come up close when they are begging for food. I was sitting on a towel (under the trees) and was taken by surprise when I turned around to notice an iguana right there staring at me!

mitsugirly & dz63 I envy your bravery. I doubt I could feel calm if an iguana comes very close to me. I know they are harmless but they are scary-looking & I can't help being nervous. It's at the point where as much as I wanted to try Sapphire this time I am almost tempted to do Magen's for the 4th time since I never saw iguanas on the beach there. Someone else on a different thread said they saw one at Magen's but there are surely less of them there than at Sapphire. I also never saw them on Trunk Bay both times I was there. It sounds like Sapphire is their main hangout!

Haha, you will find iguanas everywhere on different islands. We keep going back to Chankanaab in Cozumel Mexico and there are a bunch there too. It's so hard to get a picture of them because the minute you try to get close enough to take a good picture, they start to run away. I've had to zoom in several times because they won't let me anywhere near them. Maybe it's just me...I'm scary. LOL :eek:

Archived