Muster Drill was a huge JOKE!

Julz226

I think that many of the people that don't pay attention are the ones that have done it many times. I mean, if you have seen one muster drill you have seen them all...they show you where to go and how to put on your life jacket...

If you miss part of it, go back to your cabin and put on your life jacket, and you muster station is on both your life jacket and on the back of the cabin door and on your sign and sail cards...so you know where to go...

As long as I knew where my life boat was, I would feel confident not going to the muster drill, I know it is not an option, but those few ships that they do this inside while seated over the TV or movie screen have it right...

And on another note, maybe I am selfish, but I don't really care if others don't pay attention, as long as I know where my muster station is, I don't really care about others...their safety is not my problem.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say in the event of a real emergency, this is all going to be null and void anyway...I mean, there will be mass chaos and people will just head to the nearest life boat, they aren't going to check the list to see if you are in the right boat, which will leave everyone running around trying to find a boat...

I don't want to miss my chance at a lifeboat because of selfish people who don't pay attention at life safety drills because they feel (and will act, as proven on the concordia) that it is someone else's responsibility to save their life in a crisis.

Bottom line, people don't even WANT the ability to solve their own problems anymore.

This isn't the Titanic - there are more lifeboats and rafts than passengers and crew and the same for life jackets.

That you are blaming the passengers on the Concordia demonstrates how little you know about what went on there and the captain's failure to give the order to abandon ship in a timely fashion. Many of the passengers HAD been through the safety drill.

The crew goes through multiple safety drills EVERY cruise. They are prepared.

. And they do have life jackets next to the life boats and in the life boats. They specifcally say at the drill that if you are not near your cabin in the case of a drill to go directly to your station. The new set up makes much more sense.

That is very good to know. It does make 100% more sense :)

I live in fear of very little, but I don't believe that "because of the odds", I have no responsibility in taking care of myself and those around me.

Why are you talking as if that poster takes no responsibility?? I don't get that from anyone's post here.

Edited by halos

And on another note, maybe I am selfish, but I don't really care if others don't pay attention, as long as I know where my muster station is, I don't really care about others...their safety is not my problem.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say in the event of a real emergency, this is all going to be null and void anyway...I mean, there will be mass chaos and people will just head to the nearest life boat, they aren't going to check the list to see if you are in the right boat, which will leave everyone running around trying to find a boat...

that's what scared me the most with the concordia incident. they were just putting anyone in any boat. people going to their assigned boat found them full, or already launched.

This isn't the Titanic - there are more lifeboats and rafts than passengers and crew and the same for life jackets.

That you are blaming the passengers on the Concordia demonstrates how little you know about what went on there and the captain's failure to give the order to abandon ship in a timely fashion. Many of the passengers HAD been through the safety drill.

The crew goes through multiple safety drills EVERY cruise. They are prepared.

then splain to lucy why people going to their assigned muster found the boats full.

Well that's the scary part because it was listing on one side I wonder if they could have launched all those boats on THAT side that's why so many showed up on the wrong side...but I dunno. I'm glad I wasn't there. I do feel sad for those that were.

that's what scared me the most with the concordia incident. they were just putting anyone in any boat. people going to their assigned boat found them full, or already launched.

Pretty sure in that case I would have just swam to shore and hoped someone had a towel ready from me when I got there. People don't realize how much worse the Concordia would have been 60miles out to sea.

i guess they are abandoning the marked path from your cabin to your muster. i thought that was half the reason for going to the cabin. the other was getting the vest.

you certainly have enough time to do so, as long as there is nothing preventing one from doing so.

personally, i would have a hard time knowing where my muster was from where i was on the ship at the time of the "incident". sometimes i even end up aft when i intended to be fore.

i would also need a congregating point for my family. that would be the cabin.

I guess you won't be one of the survivors.

Carnival lists your muster station on your sail and sign card and the crew members are experts at directing people to the muster stations.

Unless I am already in my cabin, I have no intention of returning to get a life jacket and getting mobbed by hysterical alarmists. There are plenty of life jackets stashed around the ship.

They even tell you NOT to return to your cabin for such things as medications - one of the crew will get, if there is time.

Have you ever been on a Carnival cruise?

then splain to lucy why people going to their assigned muster found the boats full.

You know the answer very well. It's because not all safety boats were launchable. You already stated that someplace here....

Why did this happen?

The captain caused this by not commanding an evacuation immediately as he should have.

I agree thats the case. I am more worried about the behavior of fellow ignorant passengers during a crisis then the skills or lack of in the staff.

Have you ever been or seen people in a real crisis???

While ignorance increases the chances of panic, it isn't the sole cause of it.

VARIABLES...too many to even think of and it is totally up to the crew to keep the passengers who are freaking out from coming apart at the seams.

We should all be fortunate enough to cruise with 2 to 6k passengers that all remain calm in a horrifying situation....but what are the chances of THAT???

Edited by halos

Pretty sure in that case I would have just swam to shore and hoped someone had a towel ready from me when I got there. People don't realize how much worse the Concordia would have been 60miles out to sea.

you should see the gyrations i go through getting into my backyard pool if it's lower than 80º.

You know the answer very well. It's because not all safety boats were launchable. You already stated that someplace here....

Why did this happen?

The captain caused this by not commanding an evacuation immediately as he should have.

you must be confusing me with another swordsman. i thought all the lifeboats were launched.

you must be confusing me with another swordsman. i thought all the lifeboats were launched.

You must not have seen all the TV shows about the incident...after the ship listed, they were having difficulties launching the whole one side of the ship...some people immediately tried to make their way to the opposite side of the ship.

The whole thing was utter mahem. Some of the lifeboats launched weren't even full...it was pitiful.

Edited by halos

You must not have seen all the TV shows about the incident...after the ship listed, they were having difficulties launching the whole one side of the ship...some people immediately tried to make their way to the opposite side of the ship.

The whole thing was utter mahem.

yeah. i saw they were having difficulties, but they got them all down. or so i thought. you have something that conflicts with that?

Ok Lucy - it proves that whether or not there was a safety drill is irrelevant when the captain is incompetent. And probably for that matter, competent. If the captain doesn't give the order to abandon ship until many life boats are out of commission, what choice does the crew and passengers have?

A number of the dead were found to be WEARING life jackets. Putting a life jacket on wasn't the problem.

Ok Lucy - it proves that whether or not there was a safety drill is irrelevant when the captain is incompetent. And probably for that matter, competent. If the captain doesn't give the order to abandon ship until many life boats are out of commission, what choice does the crew and passengers have?

A number of the dead were found to be WEARING life jackets. Putting a life jacket on wasn't the problem.

um, you have completely avoided me challenging your statement that most had already muster drilled. and now you throw in lifejackets? where did that come from?

yeah. i saw they were having difficulties, but they got them all down. or so i thought. you have something that conflicts with that?

And you believe that while they were having difficulties, that everyone stayed there and patiently waited to see if they'd eventually work it out???

LMAO.....

People didn't wait...some tried to make their way to the other side of the ship for the other life boats and some people jumped off the freaking ship into the water.

Tell me what a good muster would have done to help the people who were told to go back to their cabins?....many of those people died.

The Concordia and a proper muster drill have little to do with each other. That entire thing was a fiasco that no muster drill, no matter how long or detailed, would have fixed.

I found the exact opposite of the original poster's drill when we cruised on the Miracle two weeks ago. The muster drill was very serious, drinks were taken away, cell phones were asked to be put away. Everyone was quiet. The staff demonstrating the life vest stood on chairs so all could see in the back. Both the Captain and the CD spoke and there were definitely more staff at the drill. More emphasis on safety than I had seen in 26 cruises! I was impressed.

On the 3/25/12 Miracle they also did a head count at each muster station. They had to report in the count and we were told the drill would not end until the bridge had the count from each station.

And you believe that while they were having difficulties, that everyone stayed there and patiently waited to see if they'd eventually work it out???

they were already on the boats when they were launching. didn't you see the videos with all the screaming? getting stuck, getting unstuck, hitting the water, and then steering straight into the ship?

they were already on the boats when they were launching. didn't you see the videos with all the screaming? getting stuck, getting unstuck, hitting the water, and then steering straight into the ship?

obviously not everybody was on the boats.

Tell me what a good muster would have done to help the people who were told to go back to their cabins?....many of those people died.

The Concordia and a proper muster drill have little to do with each other. That entire thing was a fiasco that no muster drill, no matter how long or detailed, would have fixed.

as the sarge had already pointed out, most already had gone through the drill. only those that embarked that night had not.