8 am flight after cruise possible - civitavecchia - Mariner

This is probably a dumb question but thought I would ask the chances anyway. With our FF miles, we can catch a "free" 8:10 am flight out of Rome F. airport after our cruise on the Mariner in September. It says the ship docks at 4 am. Is this possible with early departure from the ship?

I don't think it's feasible. It will take awhile to go through customs/immigration and I believe the distance to the airport is about an hour without traffic. Even with a private car, there is no way you could get to the airport in time. Disembarkation probably won't start until 7:00 a.m.

This is probably a dumb question but thought I would ask the chances anyway. With our FF miles, we can catch a "free" 8:10 am flight out of Rome F. airport after our cruise on the Mariner in September. It says the ship docks at 4 am. Is this possible with early departure from the ship?

This link might help What is the latest arrival time to reserve a flight before the cruise, or the earliest departure time to reserve a flight after the cruise in order to make port/airport connections on time?

Just fill in the blanks and the results will be at the bottom.

No. We did this last year (Navigator) and we got to the airport at 8:30 AM and we were off early doing self-disembark and had a private driver waiting for us.

I had an 11 AM flight and was nervous and moved it to 1 PM. Turns out the 11 AM would have been OK, but still tight.

Oh, and we were flying first class so we got to skip all the lines....without that it would have tacked on another hour.

Oh, and it's worse if you have a direct to the US....we were flying to Madrid and then the US.

That's just a neat handy link Patti thanks.

Thanks for this link!

Crystal, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Though ship docks at 4:00 am that doesn't mean that Customs will have cleared the ship at that time Nor does it mean that disembarkation will begin at 4:00 am. Disembarkation probably won't even begin until 7:00 AM.
  • Customs will come on board to clear the ship . Customs usually wants to see specific passengers ( based on what criteria ... I don't know) before clearing the ship. If that passenger is not in their cabin to receive the call than an announcement is made. More often than not there's usually some passengers slowing up this process because either they ignored the announcement or did not hear the annoucement.
  • Also not certain if you will be allowed to self-disembark. Meaning carrying off your own luggage. So if you mnight have to wait for luggage to be off loaded before you can disembark.
  • Don't remember having a lot of taxis at the port since Rome is quite a distance away. I remember most everyone either took the bus transfer from the cruise line or had a pre-arrange car waiting for them at port.
  • The buses will not leave until full so you have no control over that.
  • It will take an 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on traffic and the day of week to get to airport.
  • If it's an international flight you have to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to Flight. FCO is notorious for long lines and slow processing.

If it were me I would not chance trying to make a 8:10 Am flight. But that's me.

Thank you. I guess we will have to stick around for the evening flight.

Don't get tempted to take the train; it's cheaper but what a hassle; especially if you don't speak or read Italian. We were told which train to board which was a cruel "joke" on Americans but luckily we got off of the wrong train before it left the station. The walking to get to the train station, the MANY steps to climb & decend, especially with 5 pieces of luggage for 2 of us almost gave me another heart attack. Need help? Forget it!

We were on the Mariner in July. We arrived in Rome at the same time. They did not start letting people off until 7:00. We decided to hold on to our own luggage and try and get off first thing. Our fight home was at 11:30. It took FOREVER to get off that boat! The elevators were jammed, the lines were very long because they were checking everyones sea passes, etc. We had private transportation to the airport ( about 45 min away from port) We barly made our flight! (Do not take the train!)

I will be flying out of Rome in May for the first time in 30 years so have done lots of research and the universal advice is that you need to allow 3 hours at FCO if you are departing from the terminal (5, I think) that flies direct to the USA. It has more security and apparently is set apart from the rest of the airport meaning you have to be transported to the airplane or other area, etc.

I think you might be able to get off by 7. Even with a 160 km/h ride in a taxi on the motorway you won't get to the airport till maybe 730. There will be queues and things at the airport and the Italians are renowned for being disorganised and everything that goes wrong requires conflict so there is no chance of a quick passage through the airport. I would say 11 am would be the earliest.

Archived