Cruising on Fascination for the 1st time

eeyore81

Hi,

I am new to the boards. I am going on the Carnival Fascination on May 9. This is my first Carnival cruise. My question is about the food options. Can anyone tell me about the different food options on the boat and maybe where I can find menus,etc. Also, any other tips or suggestions for my cruise would be appreciated. Thanks for all the info.

Welcome to the boards and congrats!!! There are plenty of food options on Carnival... There will be the main dining room for a little more formal dinner (beef, chicken, seafood dishes)... then there is the buffet for a more casual dining experience... there is also 24 hour yummy pizza, a deli, and room service... you should not have any problem finding something good to eat!!! Have a great time!

This was our first cruise ship also....we loved it. In fact we are talking about doing the same itenery again because we want to get more pictures. lol The one thing I would do different this time is take a power outlet plug to convert into more plug ins. I also would pack my own water and cokes because these are expensive. I also take a few snacks to like candy bars and chips because these too are expensive. I had a chocolate craving for a 3 muskeeters bar and paid 2.50 for one. I also take an over the door shoe organizer to use on the bathroom door to place items that we used daily in to find easier. We also took our laptop to hook into the t.v. to watch dvd's. Just a few suggestions. You will love the ship:)

If you enjoy frosty beverages by the pool on Lido...look for a waiter named Ram. He is fantastic! Never without a drink if we wanted one.

The deli makes great sandwiches, the hot turkey was fabuloso!

You will have a great time!

Are you going to the Bahamas or Key West and Cozumel?

Any other questions...keep 'em coming...lots of us just got back from the Fascination, and are happy to help!

Thanks for the info so far. I am going to Key West and Cozumel. I am glad to hear that there are plenty of food offerings. I saw a sample menu on Carnival's webpage and I am going with a picky eater and was afraid he wouldn't find anything in the dining room to eat. Thanks for all the speedy replies. I am getting so excited for my trip:D

Thanks for the info so far. I am going to Key West and Cozumel. I am glad to hear that there are plenty of food offerings. I saw a sample menu on Carnival's webpage and I am going with a picky eater and was afraid he wouldn't find anything in the dining room to eat. Thanks for all the speedy replies. I am getting so excited for my trip:D

I'm right there with your picky eater...when we went to dinner on the second night...it was steak and lobster night...I got the wrong menu and I panicked, because there was nothing on there that looked appetizing to me. Fortunately, they gave me my steak and lobster menu!

Coz was such a blast, and being there until 10 was so great because it gave you time to do just about everything worth while.

Trust me, you'll find something to eat on board.... King of the picky eaters here. Meat and potatoes. If the meat comes from some other animal than a cow, pig, or chicken, I ain't touchin' it! ;)

Oh, and I'm droolin' thinking of the pizza on board. Gives Chicago good run for its money there!

Sodas are not free; tea, juices, coffee are. Also, for the picky eaters, if in the dining room, I think you can order plain steak, chicken breast, or burgers even though they aren't on the menu. We're going on this cruise too (8 days!)

I would like to know if anyone has done any of the snorkeling excursions in Cozumel thru Carnival? Since we don't get in until noon, I was afraid to book independently, since they tend to start at noon or one. I asked on the Coz board, but didn't get much response.

Also, what night is formal night on the 4day?

One last question, I saw where they have open seating in the dining room until 9 on the day in Coz. Will they let you in a few minutes past this? The excursion we're leaning to gets back at 9.

Thanks, and here's a link to the roll call for this sailing (so far this is the only one I've found) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143112

Hi to both of you....

As far as the snorkeling exc. - ummm be careful about booking things too close to the time of docking (unless thru Carnival) because we were supposed to dock at noon - we had to use tenders and did not et off until 3:15 pm.... so keep that in mind - but I can tell you those that booked with Carnival got off first.

Do not count on the open seating past 9 - they had a sign up AT 9 - saying dining room closed.......keep also in mind if your excursion ends at 9 - you will not be back on board at 9 - it will take you some time to get back to the ship.

Lots of yummy food choices on board though - and PLEASE go with an open mind and try try try LOTS of new things..........you don't HAVE to eat them if you don't like it - but for goodness sakes - order lots of things to try.......you never know - you may love it - and you can always order the steak or chicken dish plain - with no sauces.

Hey eeyore81 - I am an eeyore lover too!

What cabin are you booked in?

Robin

We just got back from the Fascination (1st cruise) on Friday. I agree with the above --- (were you on that cruise, too?) We did not make land on Cozumel until 3:15 - it was a wild time even trying to get on the tenders - had small people crying and adults demanding to get off the tender once they got on. As I recall, some parts are still a fog, the buffet in the Coconut Grill was open for those that did not make it back in time for the open seating. Also, you could get yummy pizza or eat from the deli or order room service. Just be patient, as a lot of people don't come back until 9 or after the the lines for eating looked long. We had a greatttttt time. Now it' s back to reality. :-(

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info. I am getting so excited. I also would like to know what night is formal night on the Fascination. Also, I don't know what cabin I am in. We booked a guaranteed room. Can we check now to see if it has been assigned, and if so how do i do that. I am so new to all this stuff. You guys are great. Any suggestions on fun things to do on the ship or not to miss food are greatly appreciated.

I took a 12 pack of soda - because soda costs extra. I usually drink about 3 to 4 a day - but it was soo hot that I mostly drank water - brought 8 cans of soda home in my suitcase. You can take it on with you when you board - they don't stop you. The formal night is the 2nd night. My hubby had prime rib and lobster - he had one piece of prime rib and 3 lobster tails!!!. Our waiter - Andrew - who was supurb - figured out early on that my hubby enjoys eating - so most nights he didn't even have to ask for more - Andrew just brought it - he often had two desserts, too.

I actually enjoyed all the food we had - we only at the the buffet once. Sometimes the lines were quite long. We ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room (open seating - you don't have to go to your assigned dining table) and always had dinner in the dining room.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I think we're pretty much stuck with a Carnival excursion given the odd times we're in port, but that's ok. Anyone who has taken a snorkel excursion in Coz thru Carnival, input is appreciated.

A couple that we had breakfast with did the catamaran/snorkel excursion. They said it was great - went on the catamaran, snorkled, drank margaritas, went to a private beach. Do you have a list of the excursions? Oh probably at the Carnival site. We booked our post-cruise excursion right away when we boarded the ship (couldn't do post-excursion ahead of time) If you wait until you get on board - you can fill out the paper work - drop your form in the "drop box" and your tickets and information will be delivered to you cabin. The lines are pretty long at times - so that is a nice alternative to waiting.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info. I am getting so excited. I also would like to know what night is formal night on the Fascination. Also, I don't know what cabin I am in. We booked a guaranteed room. Can we check now to see if it has been assigned, and if so how do i do that. I am so new to all this stuff. You guys are great. Any suggestions on fun things to do on the ship or not to miss food are greatly appreciated.

Formal night was our second....I think. Pretty sure.

You can look at cruisecal.com and check to see how many other ships will be in port with you in Coz. That should help with deciding what to do there. We got lucky, it sounds, there were only 4 other ships in port with us. We arrived between 12 and 1230, and were at the Beach by 130. It was so beautiful.

To check your cabin....

This link says it all.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=96045

Good luck! :)

Archived