11-day Scandinavia & Russia on Emerald

luv2travel77

Hi! For those of you who have sailed on the 11-day Scandinavia & Russia cruise, I have a few questions for you.

How many visas in total do I need in total from the 7 countries that will be visited? I know I'll you'll need a visa for the stop in St-Peterburg. What others?

Thanks for all your input!

From the US, we didn't need any visas. Princess will tell you to get a visa unless you are taking their ship's tour in St.P., but anyone from the US does not need a visa for any private tour company. Look into this with an experienced Canandian cruiser before you spend any money on visas.It is probably similar to the US policy.

Hi! For those of you who have sailed on the 11-day Scandinavia & Russia cruise, I have a few questions for you.

How many visas in total do I need in total from the 7 countries that will be visited? I know I'll you'll need a visa for the stop in St-Peterburg. What others?

We live in Ontario and did this cruise last July. The only place you need a Visa in is St. Petersburg and if you do your tours with Princess, you don't need a Visa. For the private companies I am not sure but I think if you can get a group together then they list 1 name on the Visa but they look after getting it. Sometimes it is worth it just to go and book all your tours with the Princess tours and then you don't have to worry about getting back on time as the traffic is horrendous in St. Petersburg. It is a wonderful cruise and the countries are so nice. Enjoy!!!.

If yuo do the Ships tour in Russia, they take care of the visa's/ If you book privately (Denrus , Red Oct etc) they will obtain the needed Visa for you.

So really you will have no worries!

Enjoy you trip.

Bev

For the private companies I am not sure but I think if you can get a group together then they list 1 name on the Visa but they look after getting it.

If you book a private tour, the tour provider will provide you with what you need to disembark in St. Pete. Basically, you will present your tour ticket and passport to Russian immigration. No problem at all with private companies such as DenRus, Red October, etc.

Princess will send out information and possibly print the same in the Patter which with wording that implies you must have a visa in advance if not on a Princess tour. You can ignore that wording.

You only need a visa in advance if you plan to tour on your own. Not a good idea since it likely there will be no public transportation (bus, cab, etc.) where the ship docks. If you do plan to tour on your own, you hopefully have good knowledge of the Russian language.

luv2travel77,

Below is a copy of the email you will receive a few times from Princess prior to your cruise. However, detailed visa requirements will be found in your Cruise Personalizer. Click "View Itinerary", and the visa requirements will be under the heading, "NOTIFICATIONS" near the bottom.

Cheers,

Mike

Princess email:

"During your cruise, you will be visiting countries which are members of the Schengen Agreement. Schengen Agreement countries require passport holders from various countries to obtain a visa in advance of arrival. This requirement does not apply to U.S. or Canadian passport holders.

For additional information, please visit the Cruise Personalizer at princess.com.

Thank you for your attention to this important reminder. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Princess Cruises."

Unfortunately some of the cruise lines, including Princess, appear to trying to scare passengers into taking their shore excursions in St. Petersburg. If you plan on entering that port on your own, you will have to arrange in advance for a Russsian visa. If you plan on using a tour from Princess or the tour companies mentioned on these boards (DenRus, Red October, etc.) they will arrange for your visa. We used DenRus and they sent us a separate document explaining the entire visa arrangement, the information we had to provide to them to arrange for the visa, and how to use it to get into the country. As I've read elsewhere on the boards, you might even get a letter from Princess while on the cruise warning you of the need for a visa if you're not on a Princess shore excursion. Don't let this scare you - it is not true.

On our trip, we simply provided our passport and the slip with our tour information (sent by DenRus) at the entry booth in the St. Pete cruise terminal. DenRus had told us to also provide a photocopy of our passport but the person in the booth simply handed that back to us. Entry was just that simple.

Private tour companies will get a group visa if you book with them. You will be required to send them all your information (i.e. passport number, address, etc.) so they can secure this and create a ticket for you that indicates your group visa membership. While disembarking, you'll show your passport and tour ticket to the Russian officials and this will be sufficient.

Archived