Best strategy in chosing an excursion with NCL Epic

filbo132

I'm thinking of going with Epic again in 2013 (Eastern Caribbean)...The only dilemma I have is choosing an excursion for each of the 3 ports we stop by. Now I have already been to Epic, but it was for Europe and the choices were easier to make since there are a lot of things to see and visit.

For the Caribbean, the choices are all similar (Beach, snorkeling, City visit). For those who have been solo with Epic in the Caribbean, do you select what you want to do when you meet other solo guests in the first gathering or do you select it before the trip??? I have a tough time selecting an excursion, anyone have any suggestions?

Hi all!

filbo132 ~ I was on the Epic Eastern Caribbean solo in Nov after being on it in the Med the previous May. I booked the excursions before hand with the cruise line.

The trip around St John from St Thomas was interesting & it involved a lot of beautiful scenery, a short boat ride & a bit of shopping near the dock.

I also did the Forts & Junkanoo excursion in The Bahamas as I'd seen Atlantis before.

That was a lot of fun at the Junkanoo.

I don't know if I'd depend on meeting other solos to do excursions with, I guess it could work out but I like to see what I want whether it's with somebody else or not.:DI did meet others in the Lounge to go to dinner, the ice bar or a show with so that was nice.

I love the Epic & would like to go on her again!

~ Jo ~ :)

I didn't book any shore excursions at all. I just had a plan to wing this cruise as I had no idea what I was doing. It was my first cruise...and I was also solo. For my first two ports - I ended up spending with a few other women I met. We had quite an unplanned adventure in St. Thomas! As for the last stop in the Bahamas - I ended up being by myself. I had wanted to go para-sailing, but missed out on booking the shore excursion through the ship. I found a place in port, which was cheaper. It was an absolute blast though - not to mention a funny story :)

However - the entire time, I was alone. I personally did not feel safe, and will not venture off into Nassau by myself again. All I heard was "pretty girl - over here, pretty girl, pretty girl....

If there is a shore excursion that is screaming your name though - book it now - the best tend to sell out

I booked the ATV trip on St Martin ahead of time (best excursion I did on the trip).

In the case of St Thomas I just walked into town (though i regret not doing the St. John excursion).

For the Nassau excursion I booked on city tour and glass bottom boat trip to see fish.

If there is something you definitely want to do I would book ahead of time. You run this risk of some of them filling up.

• 1 month later...

Check the roll call for your cruise -- you may be able to find people interested in the same excursion (whether a private tour or through the cruise line). I even met a few other solo travelers on my roll call!

I booked them ahead of time- the solos I spent time with just happened to either do different excursions or did non ship ones.

Now, I was at a table for the Murder Mystery lunch with another solo and some non-solos who happened to be on my excursion- I spent time on the excursion with them.

In St Marteen i took the boat that went to Marigot- i will get the name. I liked the tour, I just sat on the boat while people shopped in Marigot and loosened up and had a few rum punches

St Thomas i did the magens bay/blackbeard castle tour- wasn't in a sociable group.

Nassua I did the See and Sea- the Sea part was good a nice small boat ride to a semi sub.

My recommendation would be to sign up for ones you know you would want to do and perhaps try to get others to join you, rather than risking missing something.

If you are on the fence about an excursion ahead of time, I would wait.

Archived