Shuttles in Bruges?

caribbeansun

I understand O added shuttles from Zeebruges but I'm unclear on where the shuttles actually take you to - is it to the train station in Blankenberge or is it into Bruges itself or elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

I am going to guess it may just be to the Blankenberge (closest city centre) since they want $129 for the trip to Bruges

The best and cheapest way to get to Bruges from the ship is by sharing a taxi for 6. On our upcoming cruise in May, the taxi companies "sold out" after numerous recommendations on the roll calls so book early.

On our last cruise we shared a taxi for 6 with Brugse Taxi They picked us up from the ship and took us back to the ship at a prearranged time (same driver). 90 euro TOTAL -- a LOT cheaper than anything the ship will offer.

Agree with Laraine, this taxi service was excellent and on time. Book early and post on your roll call to find others to share and reduce your transportation costs. Don't know what "shuttle" is being offered in Bruges (Oceania had a transfer only into Bruges--an 8 mile trip--for those who were not going on a tour. However, that transfer cost $ 129 per person. If they are offering a complimentary shuttle, that would be great, but clarify with Oceania what is meant by "shuttle." Is it their paid transfer or is it a free or low cost shuttle?

The Oceania transfers to Bruges are $98 if you book as early as possible, not $129 ("Bruges on you own") It's still very expensive, but is an option if the taxi services are fully booked.

Reading about the taxi services at Zeebrugge on the ports board, I saw several tales of missed pickups, comfusion about who booked the taxi (with some dishonest passengers taking someone else's pre-booked taxi), lack of response from the taxi services, and some folks scrambling to get back to their ship when the return pickup in Bruges didn't occur. Not sure if this is the norm, but a number of negative stories are there to read.

The shuttle probably drops you off near the train station in Blankenberge; the train is considered a decent alternative.

I am going to guess it may just be to the Blankenberge (closest city centre) since they want $129 for the trip to Bruges

Oceania transfer is $109 pp for "Bruges on your own" or " Bruges at your own pace"

One is 4 hrs & the other is 8hrs

If you only want a shorter time in Bruges you can always try for a taxi at 10am since most people want the 8-9 am taxis to make the most of the visit

It is 90E r/t for up to 8 people ...plus there is always the train

JMO ;)

Lyn

I know you're not responding to me, Lyn, but we paid $98 each for Bruges On Your Own with the Ala Carte 10% discount. I don't think it's necessary to scan in the receipt. If you book very late or on-board, it is $109 per person.

Just stating the facts.

You can get a larger discount for booking seven or more excursions. I know the regulars on here don't like ship tours but it should be noted that O is making an attempt to discount their tours.

I know you're not responding to me, Lyn, but we paid $98 each for Bruges On Your Own with the Ala Carte 10% discount. I don't think it's necessary to scan in the receipt. If you book very late or on-board, it is $109 per person.

Just stating the facts.

You can get a larger discount for booking seven or more excursions. I know the regulars on here don't like ship tours but it should be noted that O is making an attempt to discount their tours.

Why are the excursions even being discussed here?

The question is about the free Shuttle.

Why are the excursions even being discussed here?

The question is about the free Shuttle.

I added the options of a taxi or shorex ;)

if the free shuttle does not work for people

Some do not mind taking the train others do ;)

Hi!

Rubysue, Oceania gives a 25 per cent discount if you book 5 or more shore excursions online.

We booked a private van with 3 other couples for Brugges. I honestly can't believe someone would try to steal our van!

Rhea

Hi!

Rubysue, Oceania gives a 25 per cent discount if you book 5 or more shore excursions online.

There are 3 different options in the new excursion packages

Beginning with its 2012 Europe season, Oceania Cruises is offering three distinct sightseeing options and more than 1,000 new excursions worldwide – many have been designed for the traveler who may be experiencing ports for the second or third time. In each case, guests enjoy substantial savings by booking prior to the sail date. Package highlights include:

• A la Carte – As before, individual shore excursions can be purchased in advance or onboard the ship. However, starting with the 2012 Europe season, guests who book excursions prior to sailing will enjoy 10 percent off on-board prices.
  • Your World Collection – This option offers guests the flexibility to select a combination of excursions that most appeals to them and save 25 percent off on-board prices. The minimum number of excursions per package varies based on the number of ports on the itinerary. For example, on a voyage with eight ports, the minimum is five excursions.
  • Unlimited Passport Collection – Designed for travelers who wish to fully experience a destination in depth, this package offers unlimited shore excursions throughout the voyage – a savings of up to 40 percent. Guests pay a set fee for the entire cruise and will be able to book an unlimited number of excursions. Package prices vary based on the length of the itinerary. For example, the package price for a seven-day cruise is $699 per person. As an added bonus, guests who purchase the Unlimited Passport Collection also receive discounts on limited-availability tours.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

Look at the Jan 4 announcement

Hi!

We booked a private van with 3 other couples for Brugges. I honestly can't believe someone would try to steal our van!

Rhea

Is it five or more now? When I booked two excursions a month ago it was seven, so that's a better deal.

I'm sure your van will be fine. There were some good stories and bad stories about one of the taxi services and confusion at the port on who rented which taxi service. We decided not to mess with it. We also booked Seville On Your Own.

We usually do like to be on our own. We're doing three shared tours on our cruise, renting a car in two ports, doing one private tour (so far), and most ports will be on our own (paying for the privilege to ride an O excursion bus in two places to get there and back). Going with a small group to Bruges means you might actually have to hang out with them :-)

Ok, that explains the difference - we have 13 ports so the minimum for the 25% discount must be seven on that particular itinerary.

When you book the excursions it asks if you want one of the three options.

According to my TA a shuttle into Blankenberg is provided.

It is very easy to take the train into Bruges from Blankenberg and very inexpensive, approx 8euros for a return ticket.

Yes, but as I recall, returning via the train was not as convenient because it required doubling back, and most people will be carrying bags of chocolate and/or lace.

Unless you have an unusually long port day in Bruges, you will appreciate returning to the ship via car more than you can realize. The extra shopping time alone is worth the cost.

Yes, but as I recall, returning via the train was not as convenient because it required doubling back, and most people will be carrying bags of chocolate and/or lace.

Unless you have an unusually long port day in Bruges, you will appreciate returning to the ship via car more than you can realize. The extra shopping time alone is worth the cost.

It has never been a problem for me, I have done this trip numerous times.

I suppose it depends on different factors, but anyone with good health and fitness should be fine.

True enough, but by the same token, anyone who can afford an Oceania cruise should be able to swing the cab fare without giving it a second thought. :p

Agreed but if you read the discussions about drink prices,gratuities on drinks,

gratuities shore excursion prices and Internet rates you sometimes get the impression that the cruise fare was all there was in the bank. We all know that some of the prices are higher than they should be or compared to other lines.but we choose Oceania.:confused:

Agreed but if you read the discussions about drink prices,gratuities on drinks,

gratuities shore excursion prices and Internet rates you sometimes get the impression that the cruise fare was all there was in the bank. We all know that some of the prices are higher than they should be or compared to other lines.but we choose Oceania.:confused:

It is funny that you should mention that. When I first joined Cruise Critic, I wrongly assumed that posters would talk about money in person in much the same way that they post about it here.

Boy, oh Boy was I WRONG!

In person, everyone is the last living heir of J. Paul Getty. :rolleyes:

It is funny that you should mention that. When I first joined Cruise Critic, I wrongly assumed that posters would talk about money in person in much the same way that they post about it here.

Boy, oh Boy was I WRONG!

In person, everyone is the last living heir of J. Paul Getty. :rolleyes:

We call them "vacation millionaires.";)

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Not sure I understand the "doubling back" comment can you please explain?

Normally we would take a cab but I have read a number of postings indicating that this can also be problematic at this particular port.

Normally we would take a cab but I have read a number of postings indicating that this can also be problematic at this particular port.

I had booked 3 taxi vans & had NO problem

They would not let anyone load until I arrived

The pick ups were staggered for the return trip & as far as I know there were no problems there either

Thanks for everyone's replies.

"Doubling Back" refers to having to walk back to the train station at the end of the day, probably along the same route.

We have always used a Guide in Bruges, for the simple reason that they will "align" our day, so that we are dropped at point A, walk to point B, and are collected at Point C.

I suppose that you could do the same thing via taxi, but who needs that kind of uncertainty? When I'm TRYING to absorb old World Atmosphere, I don't want to be juggling timetables in my head. :o

Hi!

Rhea

Rhea, believe it...they will steal your van. We booked a taxi with couples we met on cruise cruitic. All went well on departure from port to Bruges, but it was a scramble to get to the driver to give your reserved name before someone else did. The return was a cat fight between passengers lining up and jumping into taxis that had been reserved for pick up by others like us...AWFUL. We had elderly people with us who were completely exhausted and needed to get back and no one gave a hoot. Gentleman almost in tears. Taxi driver shrugged his shoulders when we told him you promised us to be in this spot at 4 pm...did not care. The only way we got back was by cutting off other people. I really wish Oceania would provide a free shuttle right to old town. Our Med cruise last October had several free shuttles. Anyway...we loved our day in Bruges...be sure and enjoy a leisurely lunch by one of the canals.

Archived