St. Petersburg Private One Day Tours

My family and I (husband and 18 year old daughter) are travelling to the Baltic on RCCL Brilliance in early August and plan to use a private tour company in SPB. I have been reading many of the posts on this site and most of the posters provide recommendations on 2 or 3 day visits in SPB. However, our cruise is in port for only one day - from 7:00am until 11:00 pm. I have been doing a lot of research but having difficulty figuring out what is really feasible in 1 day. Ideally, I would like us to see Peterhof, Catherine's Palace (Amber Room), St. Isaacs Cathedral, Church of the Spilled Blood (but this is closed on Wed our day in port), Peter and Paul Fortress, Hermitage and Choral Synagogue. I also read that the metro ride is an experience to do. One tour company told me that Peterhof and Catherine's Palace are hard to see both in 1 day and that they are similar (same architect) so we choose one. I would like to hear the experience of other cc posters who have done SPB in 1 day (or even those who have done 2-3 days) and which of these sights they really recommend and what is feasible in 1 day. I am also thinking of having the tour company bring us back for dinner on the boat and pick us back later for a canal ride in the evening. I know...I know...we want to see and do a lot in 1 day but it is SPB.......

Hi!

I'm also on Brilliance (but the August 18th sailing, not the August 4th you're on --- these are the only 2 sailings BOS does this itinerary this year).

I have booked a 1 day tour with SPB. I have decided to go with special early entrance to the Grand Palace at Peterhof along with a walk through the fountain park, a canal boat ride, a general city tour, a subway ride, the Hermitage and then a tour of Peter and Paul Fortress.

Like you, I had to make the decision between Peterhof and Catherine's Palace since it was essential to my husband that we see Hermitage. Leaving the decision up to my husband, he chose Peterhof because he wanted to see the fountains and is greatly more interested in nature and outdoors than grand, opulent palaces.

Having said all that, this is my second trip to St. Petersburg. My first trip was a 2 day stay in St. Petersburg where I took a 2 day private tour. I was disappointed to see that this intinerary was only 1 day, but due to work demands, I couldn't take a longer cruise.

My husband has never been to St. Petersburg. I figured that since I had seen all of the sights and he hadn't, I'd let him make the choice. The one thing I did want to see again was the Church of the Spilled Blood, but unfortuantely, like you, our cruise docks in St. Petersburg on Wednesday, so it is closed. Though, SPB tours has told us that we should see the Church during the city tour and on the canal boat ride.

From my experience, of the sites you listed, the only thing I have not seen is the Choral Synagogue.

I knew that if we were to do the Hermitage, a choice would have to be made between Catherine's Palace and Peterhof. Both are outside of central St. Petersburg and they aren't that close to one another. St. Petersburg is also notorious for traffic issues. So, it's basically impossible to see both of those sites with enough time to enjoy them and see the Hermitage at the same time. So yes, you would have to choose between one or the other.

Catherine's Palace is grand and has a great interior and there's also the famous Amber Room. Catherine's Palace also has a beautiful outdoor garden area. Peterhof is a palace with a beautiful fountain garden featuring numerous fountains that are naturally powered by underground pressure and not electronics. It also faces the Gulf of Finland so you get a gorgeous water view. So, I guess you need to choose what is more your cup of tea, so to speak.

St. Isaac's Cathedral, to me, was more impressive on the outside. The building is massive, and seeing the outside facade with its bullet holes still in it is interesting. But the Church of the Spilled Blood was more interesting to me with its interior (but again, it will be closed the day we - and you - are there). Peter and Paul Fortress was ok. It's interesting to see the burial caskets of the tsars and tsarinas, but it didn't blow me away. The Hermitage is AMAZING. To think that the collection you see in the buildings is only 5% of the entire art collection is mind blowing. Even if you aren't an art lover, you'll appreciate this museum.

The metro is really intersting. The stations are gorgeously decorated! It's so oppulent you can't even believe that it's the metro. And because of the logistics of the city, the metro is built deep, deep underground. So, when you descend down the escalator, you'll be amazed at how far down you have to go. No photographs allowed in the metro though, and be careful about sneaking photos.

Good luck picking a tour company and deciding what you want to see and do!

I'm trying to find other people from our cruise who want to share the tour I've booked. Unfortunately for us, the only other couple on our roll call has an interest in Catherine's Palace rather than Peterhof.

is it too late to change to a cruise that has 2 days in port?

St Petersberg really is the highlight of a Baltic cruise.

Catherines palace and Peterhof are further out from the centre and so that's why difficult to do in one day

However most cruisers agree the attraction of Peterhof is the fountains in the gardens and Catherines palace is the interior

The subway tour is worth seeing and doesnt take up a lot of time

we enjoyed interior of both st Isaacs and church of spilled blood but you say they may be closed

Hermitage is worth a visit

a lot of sights can be done as a drive by

If you are prepared for a long day you might stay out and do a canal boat trip on the night as that does give a different view of the city

you really do need to contact several well reviewed tour companies and ask for their suggestions as to how to maximise your time

my personal suggestion would be to have a quick snack meal throughout the day to maximise sightseeing time-you can have a midnight feast on the ship later[if you can stay awake!]

Jstducky: Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful. Too bad that we are not sailing on the same date - we could have shared the tour. I am disappointed that we will not be able to see the interior of the Church of Spilled Blood and did wonder whether the Peter and Paul Fortress would not be that interesting. One tour I looked at (Alla) offers a 1 day tour where I think they do go to Catherine's Palace and Peterhof and the Hermitage, but I wondered if we would be so rushed and not really see much. Tough decisions to make as to whether we go to Catherine's Palace or Peterhof.

fabnfortysomething: Yes it is too late to switch but we chose this itinerary and dates as it worked out best for us....and knowing that 2 days in SPB was preferred. I was thinking of the canal trip at night and wondered if there would be time to go back and eat on the ship in between. I have been in touch with 2 tour companies but do need to do more research. We are getting very excited about this trip!

We were in spb for 2 days and it would be hard for me to eliminate something but 1 day is always better than 0 days. When we toured with spb-tours we told them we didn't want to spend alot of time eating lunch so we could see as much as possible. That may be something you want to consider.

We were in spb for 2 days and it would be hard for me to eliminate something but 1 day is always better than 0 days. When we toured with spb-tours we told them we didn't want to spend alot of time eating lunch so we could see as much as possible. That may be something you want to consider.

I completely agree!

For my one day tour with SPB tours, I also told them that we want to see as much as possible in our very limited time. I said that we would be ok with just stopping to get a quick snack, but we certainly didn't want to stop at a restaurant and sit down and eat. That should save some time.

• 2 weeks later...
Jstducky: Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful. Too bad that we are not sailing on the same date - we could have shared the tour. I am disappointed that we will not be able to see the interior of the Church of Spilled Blood and did wonder whether the Peter and Paul Fortress would not be that interesting. One tour I looked at (Alla) offers a 1 day tour where I think they do go to Catherine's Palace and Peterhof and the Hermitage, but I wondered if we would be so rushed and not really see much. Tough decisions to make as to whether we go to Catherine's Palace or Peterhof.

fabnfortysomething: Yes it is too late to switch but we chose this itinerary and dates as it worked out best for us....and knowing that 2 days in SPB was preferred. I was thinking of the canal trip at night and wondered if there would be time to go back and eat on the ship in between. I have been in touch with 2 tour companies but do need to do more research. We are getting very excited about this trip!

I am on the BOS in Sept. with the 1 day in SPB. You might want to also look at I Travel SBP. Anna has been great with answering questions, and tailoring the tour for us. Catherine's Palace will be closed the day we get there, but some of the things we are going to are: Hermitage, Peterhof Palace, Church of the Spilled Blood

My family and I (husband and 18 year old daughter) are travelling to the Baltic on RCCL Brilliance in early August and plan to use a private tour company in SPB. I have been reading many of the posts on this site and most of the posters provide recommendations on 2 or 3 day visits in SPB. However, our cruise is in port for only one day - from 7:00am until 11:00 pm. I have been doing a lot of research but having difficulty figuring out what is really feasible in 1 day. Ideally, I would like us to see Peterhof, Catherine's Palace (Amber Room), St. Isaacs Cathedral, Church of the Spilled Blood (but this is closed on Wed our day in port), Peter and Paul Fortress, Hermitage and Choral Synagogue. I also read that the metro ride is an experience to do. One tour company told me that Peterhof and Catherine's Palace are hard to see both in 1 day and that they are similar (same architect) so we choose one. I would like to hear the experience of other cc posters who have done SPB in 1 day (or even those who have done 2-3 days) and which of these sights they really recommend and what is feasible in 1 day. I am also thinking of having the tour company bring us back for dinner on the boat and pick us back later for a canal ride in the evening. I know...I know...we want to see and do a lot in 1 day but it is SPB.......

Hello

The only good news is that you have a very long day so I'd definitely do that evening canal ride. From my 2 days I made these :

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

None of which alters the fact that you have some impossible decisions to make as all of those are wonderful. Given you only have a day I'd do things that minimise travel time which means of the 6 above I'd (with heavy heart) drop the Catherine Palace, which lies out of town and do 3 of the others that you can (as CSB is closed) , plus the Yusopov Palace (where Rasputin met his grisly end. I'm sure you could get the subway ride in somewhere as your company take you from A to B.

If you feel you have to go to Peterhof, do so by hydrofoil - an experience in itself and you won't have traffic problems, and it will be quicker.

If you could do all (5) this, plus your canal ride you will have had a sensational day and that's all you can ask for. Your independent tour company will do their best for you, and you can do at least 4 big sights plus the evening canal ride.

All the best, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My husband and I will be in spb in late august, I want to go on the Metro, but am very clastrophoic, do you think that would be a problem with it being so far underground.

Enjoyed reading about your adventures, Thanks Tamale

Hi, My husband and I will be in spb in late august, I want to go on the Metro, but am very clastrophoic, do you think that would be a problem with it being so far underground.

I think that would depend on how claustrophic you are.

It is a very, very long distance down the escalator to get to the station itself. But I didn't remember it being dark and confining. The ride feels like a long time because it's a long distance. But everything is lighted and you can see the other escalator leading up to the ground level, etc.

But, I'm not a claustrophic person, so I don't know how I'd feel about it if I was.

Swim family,

We, a family of four (2 boys 16 and 12) are on your cruise and looking at tours,mpossibly looking to share a van. Have you booked your tour yet?

No , I'm a little clastrophobic also, but it was fun. The Narva stop and

escalator are pictured. Much better than a Transatlantic flight !

L1050597.jpg.c11e1e595fcbfa723dbec693890b7f1f.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg.3d44b63b0adf57bbdb52865d442f1f6f.jpg

Hi radiancegal.

I just read your post as I have been mostly following the roll call post for our cruise. To confirm, we are traveling on BOS on August 4 with a one day port visit in SPB on Wednesday, August 8.

We have finally decided on a tour for our one day visit in St. Petersburg. Here is the itinerary and info sent to me by the tour company:

Day 1 August 8, Wednesday

7.30-8.00 meeting with your guide near the ship

8.00-9.45 a short city orientation drive (with a visit to the Grand Synagogue - an inside visit is optional)

9.45-11.45 guided tour of the State Hermitage (early admission before the official opening hours)

12.00-12.30 a light snack at Schtolle (Pie shop)

12.30-13.00 hydrofoil to Petergof

13.00-15.00 a stroll along the Fountain park, guided tour of one of the Small Palaces (either MonPleasire or Bath Block or Catherine Block)

15.00-16.30 drive back to the city with a metro ride (couple of stations)

16.30-17.30 guided tour of Peter and Paul fortress

17.30-18.30 shopping on Nevsly prospect, payment for the tour

18.30-19.30 non private boat ride along the rivers and canals with an English speaking guide

20.00 return to the ship

The cost of this tour is:

3 people - 295 US dollars per person

5 people - 240 US dollars per person

6 people - 230 US dollars per persson

7 people - 220 US dollars per person

the cost of the tour includes: Admission fees to all museums in the program as well as the cost of hydrofoil ride and a boat trip along rivers and canals, services of a friendly, and a highly professional guide for 1 day, Driver’s services for 1 day (Comfortable (Mercedes) minivan with A/C), Photo and video permissions at the museums, early admission to the Hermitage, All port fees, the cost of blanket visa, all local taxes, Bottled water for each day, head sets for the group of 10 and up. the price doesn't include the cost of lunches.

This tour is with TJ Travel. I believe that if payment is made in cash, there is another 5% discount but I need to confirm that with Olga, who has been my contact. I also liked BestGuides who proposed a very similar tour but they were about $70 more per person. Not really sure why it was so much more when I thought the tour companies would be in the same ballpark on cost.

A couple of comments regarding the tour. An inside visit to the synagogue is optional. I would like to see it but not spend a long time there. I will find out what sites we would see on the city tour. The light snack at Schtolle I see as lunch perhaps supplemented with a box lunch/food from the ship. I read on cruise critic that this place is excellent and filling for lunch with two pies. The pies can be savory or sweet. The shopping/walking on Nevsky Prospect has been alotted one hour but Olga is flexible if more time is needed. The one negative is that the ride back to the city from Peterhof can be as long as an hour and 30 minutes if there is traffic and the metro ride adds a little time. The plus side is that we might welcome the ride after so much touring.

I think the tour sounds fantastic and I am very excited about it...but it will be a long day. I really want to see as much as possible because who knows if we would ever visit again. Also, if anyone is hungry around the dinner hour, I'm sure they can get food during our visit to Nevsky Prospect.

As I understand it, the tour companies are very flexible and changes can be made from our end or theirs when they learn of a problem, i.e, traffic.

Let me know if you are interested. Also, if experienced visitors to SPB have advice on this tour, I welcome your comments/advice.

Mollie

Archived