Muesli in the Lido

Sulo

Just got back last week from the Oosterdam, and I don't know why I didn't ask on board but....

Does anyone know how they make the muesli at breakfast up in the Lido? I've never tried it on previous cruises, but thought I'd give it a try this time. Oh my, it's delicious. It was the first thing I went for every morning.

I bought some packaged muesli when I arrived home but it's not even close to Holland's.

Just got back last week from the Oosterdam, and I don't know why I didn't ask on board but....

Does anyone know how they make the muesli at breakfast up in the Lido? I've never tried it on previous cruises, but thought I'd give it a try this time. Oh my, it's delicious. It was the first thing I went for every morning.

I bought some packaged muesli when I arrived home but it's not even close to Holland's.

I've never tried the muesli on HAL but have read many rave reviews over the years...so am going to put it on my "to do" list for our upcoming cruise!

If anyone has the recipe, I'd love it...perhaps we can serve it at our B & B!

Wow Mark, that's amazing. Thanks so much for digging for the recipe. One extra ingredient that wasn't listed in the recipe is coconut. But I think you could add whatever takes your fancy.

Can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks again.

Thank you so much, Mark! We're not allowed, per the Board of Health, to serve food that is primarily protein for breakfast...and are only allowed to serve a continental breakfast.

We serve a granola/ fruit/yogurt parfait which guests love...among other things, of course. But I am going to introduce this for sure this year! Of course, after I seek it out on the Veendam in May! ;)

I have seen this before on ships, but never tried it. I will do so tomorrow morning, especially since I am an oatmeal freak. Definitely will try it in Dec on the Veendam .

Think one of the important things about HAL's muesli is that you let the oats absorb the milk overnight. Not all packaged brands put that in the instructions.

For most of the year, DH and I are happy with old fashioned oatmeal nuked in milk with raisins, cinnamon, whatever, and topped with chopped fruit or berries. The hot oatmeal in the MDR, even with milk added, does not measure up, but the muesli in the Lido makes us smile.

Ohhhh my, it is wonderful. Doesn't look nearly as good as it tastes;)

I actually made it the other day (somewhere I got HAL's recipe) and just adjusted amounts and added what I liked....key for me is the tiny diced pieces of cantalope, coconut and apple. Coconut is not actually in the HAL recipe, but it works pretty well.

I need to book a cruise. Muesli at home is good, but much nicer when it arrives from room service, when not even ordered. "Oh Miss Jane, we know how much you like our muesli, so we added it to your breakfast order"....such a nice touch!

Muesli varies slightly from ship to ship. One time on the Maasdam I ordered it in the dining room and it was different than what I'd enjoyed with breakfast room service and they said that room service served the lido muesli.

Well after seeing Mark's recipe I put it together last night and just finished a bowl for breakfast. Absolutely delicious, thanks again Mark.

I was really lazy and didn't bother with the grated apple. I threw some coconut in last night and only had Activia strawberry yogurt for this morning but it still tasted great. It looked pretty dry last night even with the milk, but once I added the yogurt this morning it looked and tasted (almost) like the Lido's. I say almost because you know someone else's 'whatever' always tastes better!!! I'd probably use vanilla yogurt next time, it would make it even more creamy tasting.

Since reading all these posts I didn't realize there were so many muesli fans. Enjoy everyone and more important enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Cheers.

innlady1, you could serve it in any nice serving dish. For want of a better word it's a somewhat 'sloppy' mixture. It's very filling so for me there's more than four servings in the recipe.

InnLady,

Just wanted to add that it's a cold cereal/dish, very sloppy, but cold. No need to heat it in a crockpot, it should be chilled so as suggested, a nice serving dish would suffice.

That's even better!

Having owned and run a B&B myself, I recommend reading about "Bircher" museli which can be located by using google. There is a health advantage to soaking the grains (in this case oats) overnight.

I find HAL's museli tasty however a touch too sweet and lacking ingredients to make it more hearty. However, in two days I will be boarding the Oosterdam and look forward to a nice bowl of their museli each morning. :)

Archived