Stingray city tours

GeorgiaMomof4

Is that black thing on the catamaran a trampoline, or just a place to sunbathe?

It is trampoline material, but you can't jump on it like a trampoline. It is great to lay on it while traveling.

Hey guys I want to do plenty of snorkeling and spend plenty of time with the Rays. How long were you guys there actually snorkeling and playing with rays?

We used Moby Dick this past March for the Stingray City and Snorkeling tour. LOVED IT !!! The tour guides said about 20 minutes snorkeling, but it seemed more like 30 minutes. I think one of them did say we waited around a little longer letting some of the crowd thin out from the stingray area, which is within view of the snorkel site at the edge of the barrier reef. The boat ride out to the snorkeling area was about 30 minutes - same back to the dock.

Honestly, just about all these companies offer great tours. I have done Captain Marvins 3 times and enjoyed it each time. Just avoid the giant ship excursions and you will be fine. Have fun!

Oh, and if you do Captain Marvins, they will offer you some digital pictures on disk. Make 'em sweat it as to whether or not you want to purchase and then haggle haggle haggle at the end. I think I paid about 10% of what the other folks aboard paid. ;)

I just booked Stingray Sailing for their Catamaran stingray and snorkel tour. Highly recommended from someone on my roll call who has used them 3x already and rebooking on our trip. I love the idea of the catamaran and less people.

You will not be sorry, we went two years ago and loved it and going back next April. Enjoy so much fun!

Moby Dick gets my vote!

Their tour offered the best of everything: snorkeling on the reef, stingray city and they will drop you off at 7 mile beach if you want on the way back all for a really affordable rate.

I loved that I didn't have to pay for the excursion until the day of the tour and that it included all of the transportation to/from the dock.

Our captain scoped out how busy the sand bar was (stingray area) and decided since there were too many other boats in his opinion, to do the snorkeling on the reef first. All snorkel equipment is provided, including swim vests. By the time we got to the sand bar, there were only 2 other boats so it felt like we had the rays all to ourselves.

We had a fantastic time with them and highly recommend them.

154832_1585093659847_1010932446_31613341_4945835_n.jpg

149061_1585094459867_1010932446_31613345_8354884_n.jpg

76777_1585095499893_1010932446_31613348_4130320_n.jpg

Edited by Eeyoregon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I researched for months, and finally decided on Cayman Eco Adventures!

They will pick you up right at the port, and guarantee to get you back before your ship departs!!

They were WONDERFUL!!! Captain Kevin is awesome, the boat is nice and smooth, and you get 3 stops - Stingray City, Snorkeling, and to Starfish island. They include fresh fruit and bottled water/sodas. They provide food to feed the stingrays. Let me tell you .... this is the LEAST crowded trip you will take to Stingray city! My friend and I booked a tour, and they took just the 2 of us! They did not cancel, but continued with the tour, so have no fear. We got one-on-one individualized service!!

Cayman Eco Adventures awesome!!!

http://www.caymanecoadventures.com

You will book with Kat, and the process is very smooth!

Very happy cruisers!!!

Jules & Robbie

We will be using Native Ways in August. We booked their Rays, Reef & Rum Point excursion. We choose this tour because it includes stingray city as well as some time on Rum Point beach. Lunch and non-alcoholic beverages are also included in the price ($62.50/adult). We chose this tour based on reviews we have read on this board. Native Ways also guarantees small groups--no more than 25 people.

I can't believe I never came back to this board to post our experience with Nativeways. We did tour with Nativeways last August on their Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion. We had a wonderful time! From all the tour operators we encountered on this cruise, Nativeways offered us the best tour guide experience. Not only did they deliver everything we expected to do on this excursion, but they were also jokey, funny, friendly, professional, helpful, and outgoing while providing us with a top-notch service.

IMG_0319.jpg

Climbing onboard the "My Way" from Native Ways Watersports, we were off to Stingray City. Here we experienced these large pre-historic looking creatures float gracefully all around us. We also got to hold a stingray, feed a stingray, get a stingray massage and yes . . . even kiss a stingray!

DSCF0265.jpg

After surviving this adventure, we were off to the Reef for snorkeling. We saw many colorful tropical fish swimming around in their underwater paradise.

DSCF0309.jpg

Our final stop was Rum Point, where we enjoyed the tropical beauty of the surroundings, had lunch (which was included in the price of this tour) and went for a swim before returning to the Carnival Legend.

IMG_0324.jpg

Want to know more about our excursion with Nativeways? Then you may be interested to read my detailed review with photos. It begins at post #137 and ends at post #145 at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704270&page=7

I have also put together a video of our Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion with Nativeways. You can view that here:

Any other questions? Just ask!

• 3 months later...

I just thought I'd give this thread a "bump" because it's so great and it answers many of the questions I've had about tours in Grand Cayman!!!

I've been searching, and searching for a tour company to book through and and I have found all the posts to be EXTREMELY helpful!!! Not sure which company we are going to book through, but I guarantee it's going to be one of the companies mentioned above!

Thanks for all the great info guys!!!:D:D:D

I researched for months, and finally decided on Cayman Eco Adventures!

They will pick you up right at the port, and guarantee to get you back before your ship departs!!

They were WONDERFUL!!! Captain Kevin is awesome, the boat is nice and smooth, and you get 3 stops - Stingray City, Snorkeling, and to Starfish island. They include fresh fruit and bottled water/sodas. They provide food to feed the stingrays. Let me tell you .... this is the LEAST crowded trip you will take to Stingray city! My friend and I booked a tour, and they took just the 2 of us! They did not cancel, but continued with the tour, so have no fear. We got one-on-one individualized service!!

Cayman Eco Adventures awesome!!!

http://www.caymanecoadventures.com

You will book with Kat, and the process is very smooth!

Very happy cruisers!!!

Jules & Robbie

Another great vote for Kevin!!!! We had booked with Stingray sailing but because the previous ship got into port a little late and ours was early! we were given the option to wait for Chip to get back or go on with Kevin. We went on and were so glad we did!!!! Kevin's boat is the fastest out there. We left the marina and passed several boats on the way to stingray city. When we got to stingray it was packed so we went on over to the reef to snorkel. Chips catamaran was there and he swam over to make sure everything was ok. We snorkeled as long as wanted and saw other boats leave stingray city, come to the reef, snorkel a few minutes and leave with us still there. Those boats were packed. There were just 6 of us. We went to stingray city next and he had a whole bucket of food for us the feed the stingrays. As soon as he got in the water the stingrays flooded over because they knew he carried a lot of food. We stayed there awhile watching others come and go too. Then on to Starfish point. We were allowed to choose whether to go on to starfish to keep snorkeling at the reef. We're glad we went on to starfish because we saw Stinky the dolphin. Had fresh fruit and beer and water. Great trip. Chip took us back to the dock and then dropped us off at a shop. It was our favorite day of the entire trip!!!!!

We plan to go back in the spring and will definitely book with either Chip or Kevin!

Edited by wantocruisemore

Well we were one of the un-lucky ones that booked with the cruise ship on our last Freedom of the Seas cruise.

The picked us up at port and loaded us into one large bus and two small buses. There had to be over 90 of us.

Upon arrival we were loaded onto 3 boats and quickly taken out to see the stingrays. We were one of the first of 5 boats to arrive.

That was the great news.

We fed, played with them, found conch shells but told to leave them alone. Then we went out to snorkel. The actual excursion was worth the money!

With everything good there is a down side.

Upon arrival back at the dock there were no buses, we had to wait about 30 min. Only one female restroom stall for over 30 women.

Then two buses appear. Yup only two.

Now a mad dash for all of us to get on the bus.

It was unbelievable, and not fun....we got a bus thanks to DH.

Now many not so kind words were exchanged and the people that did not get on a bus were *issed. I never did find out how long they had to wait, we went back to the ship. Did not see alot of tipping that day, people were not happy.

So stick with the reputable ones listed above, this is one port if we ever go to again, will definitely listen to private vendors for smaller groups.

Sea Ya

Has anyone grabbed a tour from the dock? We're going with our ds who will be 3 by then.. I was hoping to do sting ray city and the turtle farm.. Would there be enough time for both? Do any tour companies even do a custom package like that?

Has anyone grabbed a tour from the dock? We're going with our ds who will be 3 by then.. I was hoping to do sting ray city and the turtle farm.. Would there be enough time for both? Do any tour companies even do a custom package like that?

Yes, you would have enough time to visit Stingray City and take in the turtle farm. Nativeways offers a Stingray City and island tour excursion that includes a stop at the Turtle Farm.

For more information about this, here is the link to the tour description.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tour_details.htm#Stingray

• 4 months later...
I agree with Peterkelley---stingray city quest is a great company and there is so much to do in a day, and you can get it all in! something for everyone!

I am having difficulty getting contact with stingray city quest. I paid thru paypal but have not had any confirmation from quest. No email, no notification of tour time. We will be there in less than a week. Does anyone know if they are out of business?

Edited by babefa

Kbset.....wondering how you made out with choosing which vendor to go with in regard to Stingray City ? Have upcoming cruise in late April and understand we will be sharing ports with quite a few other ships. Trying to make arrangements soon to guarantee this excursion. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. THANKS !