Adding Protection Insurance to cruise

Chikita

You should get insurance through a third party. If you get it through Carnival it covers only your cruise. You can get it to cover your entire cruise from beginning to end for probably cheaper then Carnival covers. I used insuremytrip

Definitely go to insuremytrip. I first got it through Carnival and after reading threads on CC, I checked out insuremytrip. Cancelled the Carnival insurance and went with Travel Insured World Wide through insuremytrip. Much more coverage for less. :)

I also suggest purchasing travel insurance independently (not thru the cruiseline). Better value & more coverage. I HIGHLY suggest travel insurance for anyone traveling outside the country. We HAVE had to use it before...Seemingly young & healthy DH medical emergency on board, debark in Grand Cayman, air ambulance to Miami, hotels, meals, & other expenses to the tune of around $115,000. Health insurance & travel insurance covered every penny, along with a portion of our cruise refunded, etc.......

Carnival Miracle in June 2012: An additional $287.00 for a party of 3. Is it worth having and what would it cover? Any experiences?

Thanks

Carnival insurance pays Medical as secondary insurance. In other words, your primary insurance has to pay first. Many health insurances (including Medicare) do not include coverage out of the US.

Carnival Miracle in June 2012: An additional $287.00 for a party of 3. Is it worth having and what would it cover? Any experiences?

Thanks

You need to read the policy details and compare them w alternative sources of insurance. Then you need to figure out what you really need and what isn't important. Then you can make an informed decision.

DON

Definitely go to insuremytrip. I first got it through Carnival and after reading threads on CC, I checked out insuremytrip. Cancelled the Carnival insurance and went with Travel Insured World Wide through insuremytrip. Much more coverage for less. :)

Yes! Definitely insuremytrip. I have CSA Travel through them. Husband,mother,father and myself for $2!6. And more coverage..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

You should get insurance through a third party. If you get it through Carnival it covers only your cruise. You can get it to cover your entire cruise from beginning to end for probably cheaper then Carnival covers. I used insuremytrip

Just found this out recently - but that is no longer true. The Berkely insurance covers the air now - along with the trip interruption, luggage and medical, etc - just like other similar policies.

OP - We have personal experience in all facets of this topic. We have sailed insured and uninsured AND cancelled a trip 5 days prior to leaving that WAS NOT insured - due to an very unexpected health situation :(. Not surprising, I'm sure - but we will NEVER cruise again without insurance coverage. ;)

We have done coverage through the cruise line and also used 3rd party coverage arranged on our own. But - basically you want to cover with the insurance anything you are unwilling to absorb the cost of - in case of something unexpected. The more options you choose when insuring the more expensive - "cancel for any reason" is more expensive than a basic coverage (medical emergency, death of a traveller or family member) .

As others have already said - no matter what you decide - read the policies carefully so that you know what is - and is not - included in your coverage.

Archived