shore excursion shopping

ginger123snaps

Does anyone know if you can get better deals on shore ecursions if you book at the port vs booking directly from the tour companies listed at the visitor's bureau for Juneau and Ketchikan. Just wondering whether I should go ahead and book my excursion directly from the companies or if I should wait to reach port? We want to go on a whale watching excurion in Juneau...so if any of you have purchased at a good rate...please share the info

If you are talking about shopping, you can do that on your own. If you are talking about shopping the tour packages - ship vs. on you own, you should read through lots of threads. There are varied opinions about this which are answered often.

Check and see how many ships are in port that day. If there are lots of ships, what you want may be sold out, even if you book with the operator and not with the cruise line. You will almost always save money booking yourself instead of thru shore excursions, however you are on your own to get to the vendor. Most independent vendors do not do last minute discounts, so you gain nothing by waiting and may miss out on a tour you want!

Whale watching needs to booked in advance. Little chance of walk up space. My opinion only, in Alaska always have plans and reservations in place before you go. Even if the "plan" is for a city bus trip- think carefully over your options and make your plans. :) Time is too short in port to then decide and choices will be extremely limited.

Archived