Hiring Snorkel Equipment - Golden Princess

spazwok

I was wondering if you can hire snorkel equipment on the Golden Princess?? We are going on a Hawaii cruise and plan on hiring a car at most ports and stopping off along the way for some snorkeling. We are coming from Australia so don't really want/have space to bring it with us.

There is Snorkel Bob's in Hawaii for equiptment. How much are you planning on doing? If several times, you could also purchase a set at Walmert. They actually have a good selection. I snorkel all over Hawaii, and also highly recommend fins. They have gotten me out of some currents, and make for easier times, in staying out longer.

There should be plenty of places in Hawaii to stop and rent snorkel equipment. I also agree with the above poster. If you plan on snorkeling more than one day head to the local dive shop or walmart before embarkation or once on the island and pick up a cheap set. They did sell gear in the gift shop on the Caribbean Princess so I would bet they will on the Golden also. Not much of a selection on board though

I agree with all the advice on buying your own, at least the snorkel and mask. These two are a personal choice on fit. A bad mask makes for a not very good snorkeling experience, and I would not want to use a snorkel that other people had used. You should also have fins and the newer ones do not take up near as much room as the old ones did. :)

Snorkel Bob's or Maui Dive shop.

Bob's had a policy in the past that you could return gear to any Bob's shop, any island.

They have a web site and the policy is still listed.

Stop at Maui Dive shop and pick up the snorkel/dive site map, you will find lots of good information in it.

Snorkel Bob's was where we learned that you can have RX glasses and the gent that was doing the renting was pretty good at fitting you out. We bought our own snorkels and carry them in our hand luggage. A mask broke in the hold once. Tupperware type carrying case not so bulky. We also liked having a snorkel vest -- smooths out the waves. With every beach an almost perfect place to snorkel, just have your mask and carry with you. Wear a sunproof beach jacket as the sun is very powerful.

BIG WARNING: snorkeling in Hawaii, Fiji, and The Great Barrier Reef was so wonderful that we rarely if ever snorkel in Caribbean or like places. One legged turtle and 2 fish just not worth the effort like in St. Thomas. Snorkeling in Hawaii rocks so find a way to do so either renting or carrying your own mask. Aloha.

BTW

if you have the room consider renting a wet suit surf jacket or shorty, you

will be glad you did. However IF you do and you also expect to get undewater and stay there you will also need about 4-6 lb weight belt.

Archived