Live from the Golden

cynbar

There was some type of band playing on the deck for our sail away, which we had just spectacular weather for! I didn't get to enjoy it much though as my younger daughter was quite sick in our cabin and I was teenage sitting :(

with her. However I saw some of the video on the TV in the room and it looked as if everyone had a great time! My husband and older daughter were on deck and said they had a great sail away! I know that band that played outside was the same band that played nearly nightly in the Explorer's lounge and I spoke with one of the gentlemen in that group and he was from St. Lucia, so I'm assuming they probably played Calypso type music for sail away...they usually played that type of music in the lounge or something similar with a Carribean flavor to it. They were very good.

June

June:

Thanks for your posts. I was beginning to feel like I was "giving my negative opinion" and no one agreed! Unfortunately, it's nice to know that someone agreed with my thoughts on the buffet. Like you and your family, we spent our "down" time recouperating from our tours. I wouldn't have missed the trip for anything. I just wish they didn't take so long to serve dinner in the traditional dining rooms..... by the time they get through with all their courses, we've lost our appetites! Oh well, better than going hungry. I agree with your comments on the tour desk. They were not at all helpful OR informed. I never thought I'd say this, but: I actually missed the shore talks that are on the other lines. They were very helpful. We could have used a little guidance on this trip. We paid for what we thought was an all day tour in Edinburg that turned out to be only 4 hours long! We ended up having a great time on our own (too bad I exposed the entire roll of film from there when I got home.........) Sorry about your boarding experience. We got off our bus (around noon) and stood in line, "maybe" 10 minutes, and then walked right on the ship. There were NO passengers around. I felt like I had the ship to myself! Guess I should've started selling bingo cards.

Cynbar do me favour if you can...ask Ruiz the Maitre'D on the Golden currently with you who is the girl that greets you in the dinning Room Donnatello...she is from Mexico and I believe her name is Maria...she also answers the Dine Line as well.

I just got off the Golden on June 21/05.

Just need to confirm something for LARGIN on here...thanx!:D

...could of sworn I remember seeing an Z on his name...but I can always count on you to alert me to any mistakes I've made...thanks for kjeeping that leash pretty tight today!:D

You know it's with love.. :D His name is Rui Pereira.. How I know it because it is the same name as a very good Head Waiter friend of mine.. I saw his name as Maitre'D on the Grand and emailed him congrats.. He told me, not him but another with same name..

Your welcome...I just tell it like it is. And I do agree that our family as well would have benefited from the same ole' port talks with real people involved, the kind where you can ask questions and you get answers. As with you, we loved our cruise, I just noticed that the areas I mentioned were ones that really consistently had issues: buffet, tour desk....oh and be sure to bring coins for the laundry (1.00 per each machine). After I lugged all my laundry down there, because our steward said it had a change machine....only to find the change machine light blinking, out of service. I notified the purser who promptly told me that someone would fix it. Later that evening with change in hand, I went to load the machine and noticed the change machine light was OFF! Yay! they fixed it....until a poor old woman came in and tried to get it to take her dollar....we BOTH tried...with no luck...then I asked the steward in the hall about it. He said they didn't fix it, but the light was off for some reason. I told them to please post a sign so others would know. They didn't, but I took my trusty post it notes with me and stuck a note to the machine to tell others not to waste their time. It wasnt' fixed the entire cruise by the way..You should have seen me lugging that laundry bag back and forth and when I showed up at the purser's desk with it and told them the situation, I also told them that I was gonna leave the bag there for them to wash for me :D ! The gentlemen laughed and told me that he was gonna give me his room card and when i finally made it to the washer, could I pick up his and do it also!!! Atleast we could laugh about it...but it still wasn't funny everytime I drug that bag down the hall :p ! You know, there is always something on every cruise that could, if I let it, ruin everything! As far as the dining room went, our waiter was great! We usually were the first table to arrive in his area so we were served very promptly...maybe that is the secret, I'm not sure!

Would we cruise the Golden again? Maybe to another port of call....would we cruise The Golden again to Europe...No...Even though I had fun, I would love to see more cruise ships! She was a beautiful ship and I will never forget our vacation!

June

Hi

We are seriousely considering changing our New Years cruise to the Golden from the Star.

On deck 5 dining room (PC) my favorite waiter Nelson works in a station with table 55 I think or it is the station the immediate left all the way back towards the windows.

He is excellent and if you see him can you see if he will possibly will be on again or still late December for me.

Tell him I said hello (Lynn) and if you tell him we are the group that always brings the funny glasses he will know me.

Thank you and this is most appreciated.

We are on July 31 & Aug. 20------Can someone please tell me if they did Delft/Gouda or Kinderdijk on their own? and about the route and transportation?? (I assume the train??( Thanks..........)

Lynn I will try and find Nelson (Table 55) for you, we have late Traditional seating for July 31 but PC Dining for Aug. 10 ) unless someone gets there before me........let me know....we know Maitre'D Rui from lots of past cruises -----("toothy" smile and all :D )

Renee

We are on July 31 & Aug. 20------Can someone please tell me if they did Delft/Gouda or Kinderdijk on their own? and about the route and transportation?? (I assume the train??( Thanks..........)

Lynn I will try and find Nelson (Table 55) for you, we have late Traditional seating for July 31 but PC Dining for Aug. 10 ) unless someone gets there before me........let me know....we know Maitre'D Rui from lots of past cruises -----("toothy" smile and all :D )

Renee

Renee thank you so much I will confirm the change to the Golden hopefully with-in a few days!! We have one in the group still debating.

Yes Rui he is great, a little hard to understand at the wine tasting, but always pleasant and has a very efficient staff.

Wish you and your group a safe trip!!

We will be on the July 21 cruise.

My most formal attire will be a blazer with kakis. We are doing some pre-cruise travel and are restricted to 44 pounds of luggage and that means no room for dress-up.

Will they let us into the dining room? I'd hate to miss the lobster. I really do not want to rent a tux.

Any advice?

Hello Gifs!

This will be our first time cruising with Princess. From everything I have heard about formal nights- as long as you aren't wearing torn jeans or obviously dirty clothes, you should be allowed anywhere on the ship for the formal nights.

Hello Gifs!

This will be our first time cruising with Princess. From everything I have heard about formal nights- as long as you aren't wearing torn jeans or obviously dirty clothes, you should be allowed anywhere on the ship for the formal nights.

I called Princess and was told formal wear or dark suit or stay out of main dining room. Would hate to miss a lobster night. Will have to have my wife go with a doggie bag!!!

Another poster called my attention to page 15 of the answer book where it said that slacks and a dinner jacket were ok. So I called back Princess and asked whether a blazer was a dinner jacket and was told that it was. So I am all set -- I hope!!!

There were no theamed nights on the 5/22 Golden Princess.

On the two formal nights I would have to say that over 50% of the men wore a tuxedo, and most of the women wore evening gown attire. It was very nice, and the video of the champagne waterfall that we took did show very glamorous dresses.

Did you see anyone with slacks and a blazer?

I have just been reading about a boat tour from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk daily at 10.45am which lasts for 3hours 15 mins I am telling you what it says "take tram 8 or 20 to

De Boompjeskada" where you embark , the fare is 12.50 euros each. hope this helps.

see. www. kinderdijk.nl

Elizabeth

I called Princess and was told formal wear or dark suit or stay out of main dining room. Would hate to miss a lobster night. Will have to have my wife go with a doggie bag!!!

Another poster called my attention to page 15 of the answer book where it said that slacks and a dinner jacket were ok. So I called back Princess and asked whether a blazer was a dinner jacket and was told that it was. So I am all set -- I hope!!!

Four years ago I was on the Grand Princess with my son & wife. He did not bring a jacket or a suit for formal night. He wore a dress shirt & tie & had no problem getting into the dining room.

We have friends who traveled to Europe last fall with three days pre-cruise in Paris. They also ran into the reduced baggage limit for intra-European air travel.

Gail

Gifs,

You should have no problem. On the current sailing, I saw many passengers who were not dressed in "formal" attire (no jackets, etc., one woman was wearing jeans with a beaded top). Also, if you would prefer, you can call room service (before 10pm) and they will deliver the lobster dinners served in the dining room to your room.

Athena

This is it folks! The time has finally come and I leave the house within the hour to start my journey to Southampton. Roll on Monday, 5pm.

Thank you to the present "sailors" for keeping us well informed. I shall try and post from on board as often as I can.

Archived